Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town in Trouble

Options
  • 18-01-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Longford Town, and County but I'm going to talk about the town for the purposes of this thread, is in serious bother. John j's link to Ghost Town by the specials was very appropriate and I can see it being background music for a Prime Time special.

Longford is perfect for a Prime Time special at the minute.
    • Unemployment Benefit/allowance up by more than 140 per cent.
    • New Shopping centre unopened.
    • Barracks closing down.
    • Loads of unfinished housing estates with empty houses. (this is worse in rural towns and villages)
    • Local businesses closing down.
    • Loads of unocupied shopping units around the town.
    How will Longford as a small town recover from the current recession?

Longford like a lot of rural towns really benefited from the building. It created a huge amount of employment. But now I can't see where new jobs are going to be created to replace the jobs that are gone. Other counties with stronger TDs are going to be ahead of Longford for any new factories or jobs that might arise.

I'd hope that a strong political figure for Longford would arise, but it doesn't look good.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Economic wrote: »
    I'd hope that a strong political figure for Longford would arise, but it doesn't look good.

Any opinions?

Isn't Longford better known for it's country and western singers than it's politicians?

It's the same everywhere these days. I can see places like Longford returning very quickly to the way they were pre Celtic Tiger which would be a real pity because in recent times nowhere was remote any more, there were opportunities everywhere. Right now Longford's chances are no better than anywhere else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Longford Town, and County but I'm going to talk about the town for the purposes of this thread, is in serious bother. John j's link to Ghost Town by the specials was very appropriate and I can see it being background music for a Prime Time special.

Longford is perfect for a Prime Time special at the minute.
    • Unemployment Benefit/allowance up by more than 140 per cent.
    • New Shopping centre unopened.
    • Barracks closing down.
    • Loads of unfinished housing estates with empty houses. (this is worse in rural towns and villages)
    • Local businesses closing down.
    • Loads of unocupied shopping units around the town.
    How will Longford as a small town recover from the current recession?

Longford like a lot of rural towns really benefited from the building. It created a huge amount of employment. But now I can't see where new jobs are going to be created to replace the jobs that are gone. Other counties with stronger TDs are going to be ahead of Longford for any new factories or jobs that might arise.

Any opinions?

Okay, currently the town is in trouble but its because it has no big shopping centre mainly. I think that if it had opened the new shopping centre then more jobs created, more money spent would get more people investing in the town itself.

Okay I'm only a blow-in from Dublin but at the end of the day I thought that Longford was a decent up and coming place, until I heard that the rent in the shopping centre was going to be on level par with what shops were paying on Grafton street in Dublin. That is madness.
    The barracks closing down is a massive blow.
    Alot of the shops that expanded aren't getting the business they predicted because their prices are just too high and there is feck all competition around the place.

Now the Driving Range is gone aswell........ one of my fave places to head to for a bit of anger management!!

Another reason the town is going down the pan is the house prices are massive. Clonbalt woods was thrown together and personally if I was to buy one of those houses I would not pay anything over €175,000 because they are falling apart and would need extensive work. I believe they are looking for close on €300,000 for houses there.
    White linen woods is another housing estate that house prices are too high. Tiny houses and starting off price is €275,000 and the council were giving them out as affordable houses for €130,000 last year when they offered one to me!!
    Ireland was run by greed and until people cop onto that then we are all screwed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

I see ACC Bank has closed down - not sure if FBD have shut up shop yet??

The problem is that there is very little significant industry here that wasn't around in the 80s.
    Abbotts. Cameron Willis, Green Isle. Can you name any others?
    What has closed since the 80s?

Take a drive round town and count how many businesses are not construction related. Athlone Road is a good example. Tiles, builders merchants, lighting, roofing, scaffolding. All fine, if people want houses. Otherwise, kaput.
    Count how many are burned to the ground. I reckon we'll have a lot of pyromaniacs around Longford before this recession is out.

Longford put all its eggs in the property basket, and the basket's broke. With little representation at the top, nobody cares. Any investment that comes to the midlands will focus on Athlone. The dole queue will eventually reach the full length of Killashee Street and back onto the Athlone Road. Retail is being squeezed by the fall in incomes and the greed of the council with their rates and parking charges.
    Back to the 80s, but this time we have a lot more mouths to feed, a lot more debt and a lot more incompetence at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Economic

some great points there.

Here's some of the suggestions I would have to revive the town:
    • The council should cut their rates.
    • The council should make car parking either free or extend the amount of time you are given for the money you pay.
    • The owners of the shopping centre should offer the units rent free for 6-12 months to help business establish themselves in the current climate.
    • The council could help get business into shopping centre by charging little or no rates for first 6-12 months also. Other businesses may feel disgruntled by this but if the shopping centre takes off everyone else will eventually benefit too.
    • This one is more a national project but would affect Longford big time. Any schools that need work done should be done now and builders should give realistic quotes rather than taking the p***.
    What does anyone think of the suggestions or has anyone else any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 annie mac

To be quiet honest I think the Chamber of Commerce in Longford should be thrown out. Also the development company. the EDI centre while there are brilliant workers there the head should be sent on a course on people skills and communication, all the organisations in the town are so political with little or no interest in what is happening our town. Take a trip to Carrick On Shannon and also Roscommon a town that was nearly on its knees, look how that has recovered. We need people with vision, new blood and out out the people who are in charge of this town. People will get behind workers and people with innovation. why is there rent being paid on all those buildings on the Ballinalee Road and Mastertech business park these so called business have been a failure, whats the point of putting on free courses with brilliant training why cant they form a link with business in the town, there is no networking. also anyone reading this don't forget we have an election coming up very soon. who would vote for people who have not served the people of this town and county. I think its time for positive action. and less of the feathering their own nests. I'm not from Longford but having said that I think Longford is a great location. Get rid of the drug dealers stand up to them we don't need this type of business in Longford. All one has to do is look at the big houses around Longford we all know who owns them yet they can claim of the state, why are they not investigated with all up of out bums take on the people who need to be taken on and give them a wide awakening to what the Longford people need and what have they being doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just in case anyone thinks the information in this thread is current, most of it is is 5 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 annie mac

well if its five years old the town or those in charge have not changed, don't pretend that this town has not its problems. we need to fight back not that the election is coming up let them know what they have done in the past five years. lets all get together for the beautiful town and county here,

Rovi wrote: »
    Just in case anyone thinks the information in this thread is current, most of it is is 5 years old.

While my original post was 5 years ago, can't believe its so long myself, things have not changed for the better. Nothing has been acted on. I for one am glad to see the number of councilers in the county reduced. Too many of them just look at it as an extra few bob.

The town is now nothing more than empty units and pound shops. To be honest it's good to see some business come into the town but the fact that it's just discount stores says a lot about where town is at minute.

I'd still love to see councillors in this county making the brave decision to reduce rates and being proactive in attracting new business set up and helping current business owners stay in business.

This would mean a big reduction in income initially but long term I believe there'd be a greater amount of active businesses and in turn more rates. As it stands I'd imagine paying rates is a long ways down the list of bills that business owners are looking at so if they we're put in a posistion where they could start to make a profit the council would benefit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

I just get the feeling that none of the councilors even give a **** about improving Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

Something good is gonna have to happen soon, the town is dying. Morale is not just low, its practically non-existent.

Drugs & crime are rampant because people have nothing better to do than to walk around the town all day . . I bet they'd prefer not to.

What can be done to rescue Longford?

this-town-needs-an-enema_design.png
    County Councillors? don't even bother . . it appears they're just feathering their own nests courtesy of the cronyism thats inherent within the system.

We need major investment & jobs to secure the future for both current & subsequent generations. We need major support for the little infrastructure that is clinging-on in there, to prevent it from disappearing altogether.

Theres a large untapped workforce just waiting for the right investors to come in give them a chance, even just that chance would be enough to give them & the whole town the sense of pride & purpose it so desperately craves.

Where do we find the right people who will not just make more false promises but actually deliver on the goods? We need people with big, bold ideas to take the hold of the reigns . . Visionaries, alternative thinkers & leaders. I believe Longford has created its fair share of these successful entrepreneurial types, but they've all gone on to set-up their businesses elsewhere.

How about trying to bring them back, not literally - but in spirit, organise a committee of successful ex-longfordians to come together & look into ways to revitalize the town & stop it dying on its feet.

Surely Its worth a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

10458020_10203420081797238_4352436231197676576_n.jpg

This is the fiddle installed as public art outside of Longford on the bypass of late. The artist Alex Pantek said it was made as an old fiddle was found on the site. Locals are relieved that it wasnt a condom or dildo!

As an artpiece its iconic, and its silhouette probably will become an icon and trademark for the town in years to come. But at €60,000 odd when the local scool for autistic children has to close due to lack of funds, its a waste of money.

Why not install it, and pay for it through fundraising? And divert the percent for arts funding to the school?

It inspired this satire from me which I hope you enjoy! http://www.writingsinrhyme.com/index.php/fiddling-at-longford/

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

10458020_10203420081797238_4352436231197676576_n.jpg

This is the fiddle installed as public art outside of Longford on the bypass of late. The artist Alex Pantek said it was made as an old fiddle was found on the site. Locals are relieved that it wasnt a condom or dildo!

As an artpiece its iconic, and its silhouette probably will become an icon and trademark for the town in years to come. But at €60,000 odd when the local scool for autistic children has to close due to lack of funds, its a waste of money.

Why not install it, and pay for it through fundraising? And divert the percent for arts funding to the school?

It inspired this satire from me which I hope you enjoy! http://www.writingsinrhyme.com/index.php/fiddling-at-longford/

I understand what youre saying but every major road project has a 1% thing attached to it stating that 1% of the budget is to be spent on some sort of statue/monument. Any bypass/motorway built in the last number of years has its own. eg M4- 2 round yokes western side of tool plaza, mullingar bypass- big rusty yoke on left heading west just befor esso, Tullamore bypass- 4 big king fellas, Boyle bypass- stainless steel man on horse. Theres loads, just need to keep your eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

Surely some of the main aims for the future should be the expansion of Abbeyshrule aerdrome and improving the road to Mullingar? Anything being done here?

Whatever about the Town, some of the villages aren't being helped at all. No councillors that have been on the council for the past 10 years should have been reelected!

Hard to know where to start

Keen2win wrote: »
    Surely some of the main aims for the future should be the expansion of Abbeyshrule aerdrome and improving the road to Mullingar? Anything being done here?

Whatever about the Town, some of the villages aren't being helped at all. No councillors that have been on the council for the past 10 years should have been reelected!

Hard to know where to start

Not sure which Mulingar road your talking about, the ballymahon to mullingar - mullingar road, or the Longford to Mullingar (Dublin rd) - mullingar rd. either way both need work done on them, if the roads coming into Longford were better so that it reduced travelling time for couriers and any other vehicles transporting goods in and out if the county it would make Longford a more attractive county for setting up a business.

As for Abbeyshrule, I don't know much about it, would you care to expand on what could be done and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

The ones in Tullamore are the evangalists from the Book of Durrow, apperantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

Not sure which Mulingar road your talking about, the ballymahon to mullingar - mullingar road, or the Longford to Mullingar (Dublin rd) - mullingar rd. either way both need work done on them, if the roads coming into Longford were better so that it reduced travelling time for couriers and any other vehicles transporting goods in and out if the county it would make Longford a more attractive county for setting up a business.

As for Abbeyshrule, I don't know much about it, would you care to expand on what could be done and how?

Yep, the whole way (Dublin and Mullingar rd.) I'd hate to be stuck behind some of the lorries/ tractors on that road if I was in a hurry to get to the hospital. Also, making it that bit faster to get to Dublin can only be a good thing.

I don't knoow much either, but I have heard the idea being mooted a few times. http://www.longfordleader.ie/news/local-news/hopes-remain-for-abbeyshrule-airport-plan-1-1951844

Wonder does anyone know anything about this? In my Utopian world, Athlone would be buzzing with these Chineese investors (What's the latest on this?). Abbeyshrule would be capable of providing air transport for the midlands and Longford would have a higher level institute, possibly paired with AIT.... Very much pie in the sky!

Advertisement