Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referral fees

Options
  • 18-01-2009 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I know what referral fees are, that they're €5 per day with Halifax if you've an unauthorized overdraft, and that they're charged on such things as cheques, direct debits, and standing orders, but I'm wondering... are they charged on normal debit card transactions? As in, if I take cash out of an ATM, or pay for some goods in a shop, or buy something on the internet that puts my account into an (unauthorized) overdraft situation, will I be charged?

Thanks anyone who can help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Yes, you will. The bank will make no distinction between debit card transactions or direct debits when it comes to referral fees/interest.

Now, I used to deal with unauthorized overdraft balances for a different bank. Customers often said something like "but you let me take the funds out" Don't bother with this argument if dealing with the bank. Will get you nowhere. As far as they're concerned it's up to you to know how much you're spending.

Also, if you keep not providing for payments they might start bouncing your direct debits/cheques

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

If its €5 per day you are doing well, some banks charge per item, so if you have a few cheques or DD's go through on the same day the charges mount up fairly quickly. Mind you, I think there is a daily limit e.g. €20 :eek:

Laser card is still an item bringing your account overdrawn or over your authorised limit and will incur the charge, as would an ATM withdrawal if you were able to take the funds out.

Advertisement