Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What herp shop sells western hognoses?

Options
  • 18-01-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭

Been considering getting a western hognose snake for quite some time now and have finally decided to go for it. Does anyone know what shop could get me one in? I tried reptile haven and he said he'd get back to me as he wasn't 100% id he could get me one in or not. Anywhere else I should try? Also does anyone else keep hoggies?? How do you find them?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

orchard gardens in celbridge have them but they are looking for €250 for them and some of there animals look in a very bad state

have a look through the for sale section on http://reptile-community.com/smf/index.php#4 . or put up and add in the wanted section.

i have heard that hoggies can be fiesty. and they have a very mild venom. but are rear fanged so there is no danger. i have never owned 1 myself so cant give 1st hand experiance

edit- i just found this http://reptile-community.com/smf/index.php?topic=3879.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Board Walk Pets on the Quays might be able to get them.

Reptile Haven is probably your best bet and would be cheaper than a normal pet shop or garden centre. One large chain store's Athlone branch sells baby corns staring at €120, in Reptile Haven they start at €75, so I'd imagine its the same with hoggies

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Was contemplating a hognose not so long ago but Im concerned about issues regarding their bite.Apparently they arent as safe as once thought.

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Was contemplating a hognose not so long ago but Im concerned about issues regarding their bite.Apparently they arent as safe as once thought.

http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

I have 4 hoggies at the mo, they are one of my favourite snakes. They can be quite feisty for their size but it is mostly for show. A lot of hoggie strikes are closed mouth strikes, also being rear fanged makes it harder for them to get their fangs in. They hiss, puff and closed mouth strike but very rarely actualy bite.

Most bites occur during feeding when the snake misses the mouse and gets the hand, hence the reason why you should use tongs. In the case posted in the above link, the guy who was bitten deliberatley got the snake into feeding mode with a mouse and encouraged it to bite him, to see what the effects would be.

There are arguments about whether the hoggie is venomous or not. It is my understanding that in the wild the eat toads and the like and absorb their toxins, making their saliva toxic. As they eat mice in captivity, they do not have the same toxic saliva. as far as i am aware, they do not have venom glands to produce their own venom. Most people who have adverse effects from a hhoggie bite suffer from anaphalictic shock (sp??) meaning that the hoggie is no more venomous than a bee. Most articles I have read about hoggies do not class them a venomous.

This is a very good site that gives a lot of info on hoggies, it is well worth a read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Nice one Duzzie.Hoggies have to be one of my favourites but Im nervous with young kids in the house.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Nice one Duzzie.Hoggies have to be one of my favourites but Im nervous with young kids in the house.

I assume from your profile description that you have spids?? I have both hoggies and T's and to be honest with you, I'd be more nervous about having spids in a house with kids than I would about having hoggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭Duff

Cheers for the help everyone. Ill try boardwalk pets and hopefully Reptile Haven will get back to me. What should I be paying for a feeding hatchling?? Circa €2-300?

Duff wrote: »
    Cheers for the help everyone. Ill try boardwalk pets and hopefully Reptile Haven will get back to me. What should I be paying for a feeding hatchling?? Circa €2-300?

Thats way too much, €100 tops maybe €120 at a push, trade price. Dont pay more than that. Always haggle over the price. We got 2 from the north for about £50 each. Would be cheaper from a breader if you can find one

Duzzie wrote: »
    Thats way too much, €100 tops maybe €120 at a push, trade price. Dont pay more than that. Always haggle over the price. We got 2 from the north for about £50 each. Would be cheaper from a breader if you can find one

Thanks alot. Only said that price cus I was looking online ant prices and most were going for £200 Stg. I'll look about for a breeder so.

:D

Duff wrote: »
    Thanks alot. Only said that price cus I was looking online ant prices and most were going for £200 Stg. I'll look about for a breeder so.

:D

Might be a bit far for you but Furless Freinds in Derry had hoggies recently. Furless Friends and Reptile Haven are what I would consider the best 2 reptile shops in Ireland, IMO.

• Advertisement

Thanks again duzzie, you the man! I might just take a dander over the boarder next week. Im heading to Sligo for the rally anyway so Its only about an hr and a half to Derry City from there. :)

Duff,

Andy at Furless Friends in Derry has 2 hatchlings at £80 each and a sub-adult male at £120.

You can contact him at:

10b Carlisle Road,
    Derry
    BT48 6RG
    Tel: 07730538172

Thanks alot for that mate, really appreciate it.

:)

Duff did you ever get your Hoggie?

Been researching them since this thread and one of these is my next pet.The orchard in Celbridge have one @ 250 euros which seems to be a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭alcon1984

Theres 3 cb09 western hoggies for sale in the reptile community classifieds right now and the person is looking for £60 each but hes in belfast.

Iv seen a few come up for sale on reptile community and I defo wouldnt pay any more then €80 to €100 max.

Put a wanted add up in the wanted section and your bound to get a few replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

there were some in reptile haven the other week, think they're €100

Alcon thanks for the heads up.I managed to get one off that breeder on the rep community.Hoping to collect next week.

Advertisement