Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me choose my next car

Options
  • 18-01-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I have 18k to spend and Im looking at importing. I could afford a 2007 new model Mondeo Titanium 2.0tcdi. Or a 2006 BMW 320d se. The Ford is loaded to the hilt and the Bmw is well a BMW. What do ye think!? Both cars could cost about 30k here

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Let me throw the first spanner in the works -

how about a 2005 BMW 520D (4pot) or even better a 2005 525d (6 cylinder, super smooth engine)for similar money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yaffel

I dont know I feel too young for a 5 series :) but I certainly wouldnt rule it out. Im presuming the Ford will depreciate quickest and out of the 3 including the 5 series the 3 series would depreciate slowest. I tend to hold on to cars for at least 5 years and like to have gadgets in em. Im going to get on autotrader for a look at a big black 520.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Have a look at the Saab 9-3 and Volvo S40 also.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Saab/93/details-409049-Saab-93.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

yaffel wrote: »
    I dont know I feel too young for a 5 series :) but I certainly wouldnt rule it out. Im presuming the Ford will depreciate quickest and out of the 3 including the 5 series the 3 series would depreciate slowest. I tend to hold on to cars for at least 5 years and like to have gadgets in em. Im going to get on autotrader for a look at a big black 520.

k, but if you drive a 525d or the like with the 6pot engine, you'll want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you'r keeping the car for 5 years then depreciation should not be a major concern. Nothing is holding it's value at present.

I'd go with the Mondeo because it's a year newer and has more toys. The Mondeo will also be just as nice to drive as the 3 Series.

• Advertisement
Advertisement