Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answering r3nu4l on obesity

• 18-01-2009 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi r3nu4l,
    aare, have you ruled out thyroid problems as the cause for your obesity? Have you had medical tests to determine your rate of metabolism? If your metabolism is extremely low then you won't be losing weight anytime soon. If you haven't already try looking at ways to raise your metabolism.

I have now had every test known twice...because the first set, in 2002 overlooked celia sprue - which I have, and which was only, incidentally revealed by 7 months of, gluten free lipotrim.

Apart from that I have, arguably, faintly elevated elevated testosterone levels, and no other discernable abnormality.

My metabolism is crawling as a response celiac sprue...when you go gluten free that adds the complication that you suddenly absorb more of everything than you have for many years.
    I don't know if you do any exercise or not but if not then try walking for at least 20 minutes a day to begin with.

I walk a mile or two every day, use a (rocking type) ab trainer and pole dance...
    Without sniping at you I have to say that eating cheese every day with omelets for breakfast is not a good idea. Knock the cheese on the head. Instead of eggs some of the days, eat all bran or porridge.

Celiac + bran = NOT a good idea...:D
    I can't handle complex carbs (like porridge) at all. That is quite common in celiacs, as is a situation where fiber just goes in a stays there...indefinately...
    Be aware too that if your calorie intake is too low your metabolism practically halts. Starving yourself can also cause your body to enter starvation mode that results in most of the carbohydrates you eat being converted into fat for storage.

This is where we get to the nitty gritty...

My metabolism started to crawl pretty much all by itself...until I reached nearly 20 stone, whatever kind of diet I tried...I just kept gaining.

If I increased the calories I gained faster...I couldn't afford to gain any more weight at 20 stone...and the gain just as bad now.

I heard fat people telling me similar things for years, and dismissed them as liars or lazy.

In fact, I cannot honestly recall a genuinely fat person who was not telling me something similar.

Of course there are medical reasons for obesity (and they aren't all the same), but, in real terms medical science has not reached the point of being able to identify and treat any of them quickly and efficiently, and has yet to identify and understand some of them at all. Meanwhile it would not be very healthy to waddle around at 20 stones...so all you can do is manage it any way that works.

There is an emotional element to overweight...personally I know, now, I would rather not go on, than go on like that...it IS that desperate.

I also know that most people in the same circumstances, laugh, joke and try to hide the internal devastation

Even so, G'em is quite right to point out that nobody has the right to ask her to consider treating people like that, who's reality does not reinforce her preferred worldview, and who aren't prepared to gratify her by pretending it does, with the most basic, human respect instead of subtly bullying and mocking them under the guise of "trying to help".

So I will not ask her to again...

I don't care about me, I have to be able to respect someone to care what they say to, or about, me...but what about all the others driven away, and further into desperation, and, totally invalid, self blame by this attitude?

(Which doesn't matter as long as the same couple of dozen people go on telling the mods how wonderful they are.)

Who knows? Maybe one day she will grow and develop to the point where she wants to of her own free will anyway...

Over and out...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

As I said on the other thread:
    g'em wrote:
    If you have such serious grievances against the way we do things here either go to Feedback, Help Desk or leave, but any more of these off-topic crusading posts won't be tolerated.
    Given that your main issue seems to be with me and my "bullying and mocking" of posters, I suggest Help Desk, which is the appropriate place to air any problems you may have with a Moderator where it can be addressed by an SMod or Admin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement