Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for Chauffeur / Wedding Hire

Options
  • 18-01-2009 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi

I have a couple of Jaguars which I use for weekend driving and obviously v. expensive motor to run.

The whole economic situation has lead me to think of using them for wedding car hire or chauffeur services etc part time to help pay for tax / ins etc.

Does anyone know how costs for this type of insurance compare to standard car insurance? What companies offer this type of insurance? and are there restrictions on age of drivers? (Myself and my bro who would drive it are both 24)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I think you need a PSV licence for that, and if you have one give Brian J Peirce Ins Broker a call ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say you would be looking at €1500 to €2000 for your first year. Road tax would go down to €82 on each car which might make it cheaper for you even if you decide to never actually do any Chauffeur / Wedding Hire with them. Yes as was said you need a PSV license for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What models are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kgdo85

Thanks guys, what is required to get PSV licence, eg training, test etc? I have no idea about this. Do you pay a fee?

If tax went down to €82 that would be super, tax is approx 1600 on each. Would I have to put a hackney plate thingy on bumper?

Models are 99 XJ8 and 1986 Double 6 bigkev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You have to do a test to get the PSV license, there's courses regularly advertised in the Evening Herald in the classifieds under Taxis, the fee for the license is small, I think it's around €20 for a couple of years. I'm not sure what's the fee if any to get a hackney license.

You wont need a plate on the bumper, what you will need is a tamper proof sticker about twice the size of the current tax disc on your front and back windows, if you look at a taxi you will notice they all have yellow ones on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 kgdo85

i am wondering about those hackney window stickers......they would look terrible those big yellow things.

I have never seen any kind of sticker or plate on normal wedding or chauffer cars...how do they get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

AFAIK if it's taxed as a limo, you just need one small white sticker at the back.

Advertisement