Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sensor cleaning pens? urgent & scared!

• 18-01-2009 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys, need some instant advice. I just got one of those sensor cleaning tip pens. It seems pretty apparent that it removed small particles from the sensor etc.. but if I dab the tip of it on any paper surface it appears to act exactly like a black marker.

Is that just the reaction it has on paper and is it resilient on a sensors surface. I feel like I just bough a fake cleaning tool in a joke shop? Can anyone explain this to me. And can it also be used to clean the mirrors?.

What the hell is going on? Its not explained on the instructions or the internet.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

which kit is it? I got one last week with the hurricane blower, lens cleaning pen etc....Klearsensor I think was the kit I got? I wouldn't recommend dabbingit on paper at all. You'll only pick up more dirt on in the sensor pen. I used my kit and it did the job, wasn't 100% effective but cleaned the sensor up alot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have not heard of Sensor Claening Pens. The systems I have seen have been blowers (dry) & swabs (wet)

What is the name of this pen?

I would be very careful touching the mirror with anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TiM_rEAPeR

yes, I believe it is the exact same one. Hurricane blower and pen. "LENSPEN" with a little red logo. Got it in Dundrum's 'spectra photo'.

So the black marks are just the cleaning residue which don't appear any any lens surface? I think i may take a stab at cleaning now.

If anyone else has any advice would still love to hear it.

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have not heard of Sensor Claening Pens. The systems I have seen have been blowers (dry) & swabs (wet)

What is the name of this pen?

I would be very careful touching the mirror with anything.

Maybe im not using the right term "cleaning tip', a guy is using one in this video
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ftFfcfr64qI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'd recommend trying the blower first - as cabansail suggests its best if you don't need to *touch* the sensor with anything. A blower will be relatively safe. I haven't used a pen to clean a sensor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

you should have gotten a spare or second cleaning tip for the pen. I'd use that one over the one you touched the paper with.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I'd recommend trying the blower first - as cabansail suggests its best if you don't need to *touch* the sensor with anything. A blower will be relatively safe. I haven't used a pen to clean a sensor.

Im having a problem with dirt on the mirror. Although im wary of touching the mirror with anything, I figured on finding this device today maybe a 'pen' like untensil would be safe enough for the job.

I made a mess of cleaning my camera one day to find the mirror has an accidental smudge on it, I havent touched my camera for some time now beacuse it seems so riskay to do anything else to it.

pete4130 wrote: »
    you should have gotten a spare or second cleaning tip for the pen. I'd use that one over the one you touched the paper with.

Ok, I only dabbed it with paper. Ha, I wasn't acting belligerent and drawing wildly like a child with it. I do have a second tip and I shall be using it.

Im just confused as to how the black residue acts upon a glass or lens surface. How does that translate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ah, sorry its the mirror. I got annoyed one evening at a bit of stubborn dirt on my mirror (rather than the sensor) and said feck it, and with a q-tip and a spot of cleaning fluid I went at it. It didn't do any harm at all - i didn't scrape it off but just gently eased into it and worked it off. No ill effects but I was darn careful.

With it being the mirror - then your sensor will be ok in any event (watching out for anything that you dislodge that it doesn't fall onto the sensor or generally into the chamber). So i'd guess just thread carefully.

I just don't like the sound of it coming out black. But as i've no experience of the specific pen so I can't really advise.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You're in NCAD if memory serves me right?

If you want to pop up to me in the Media studio, and I'll have a look during the week?

• Advertisement

Mr Higgins, that would be awesome.

Of course your expertise had occurred to me but considering our only few conversations were about photography at drunken balls (and im sure your up to your face in thesis) I figured it was a tad presumptuous. But now that you've offered!

Im sure i'l be moping about media this week so il catch ya whenever your free. No pressure though, its not massively urgent. Feck'n web design...

No worries, I'll be about all day today, have a shoot on Tues morning and a meeting on Tues evening, and I'll be in the studio the rest of the week!

Se ye then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

a "lenspen" is for cleaning the surface of a lens, NOT the sensor

http://www.lenspen.com/?cPath=&products_id=LP-1&tpid=146

Spectra don't stock anythimg for sensor cleaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

DotOrg wrote: »
    a "lenspen" is for cleaning the surface of a lens, NOT the sensor

http://www.lenspen.com/?cPath=&products_id=LP-1&tpid=146

Spectra don't stock anythimg for sensor cleaning

There is a Lenspen product for cleaning sensors - see here - maybe this is what the OP bought?

OP - when you're cleaning your 'sensor', what you're actually cleaning is a glass filter in front of the sensor, not the sensor itself, so no need to be scared ;)

Yep, that's what I thought it was. I've used one to clean my sensor before.

Tbh, they're tougher than they're made out to be.

Advertisement