Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks and Spencer-wont deliver to Ireland!

Options
  • 18-01-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Tried ordering something from Marks and spencer's today online because I worked out I might get items cheaper. Guess what-they wont deliver in Ireland but they do so in the UK. My guess is because its too lucrative to charge their outrageous prices here.

They obviously would lose a bundle if they delivered from the UK.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Teacherman wrote: »
    They obviously would lose a bundle if they delivered from the UK.

They're a business. Why on earth would you expect them to do something that would "cost them a bundle"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Apple also refuse to ship from the US to here. They charge more for ipods here since the market will pay more. Nothing really new it is going on for decades. Looks at region coding on games & dvds, been going on since the 80's or early 90's for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Companies offering a different level of service in different countries is hardly surprising.

They may not deliver for any number of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Teacherman

BendiBus wrote: »
    They're a business. Why on earth would you expect them to do something that would "cost them a bundle"?

Obviously wherever you buy their clothes-they make money. As a Consumer I will now choose never to buy from them again. There is a plethorea of online clothes sites-many of which have stores in Ireland but will ship from their Uk stores. You still save.

Every store is entitled to make a profit but stores such as M & S are overcharging. You would be naive if you thought it was all down to operating costs to explain the differential between Northern prices and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Obviously wherever you buy their clothes-they make money. As a Consumer I will now choose never to buy from them again. There is a plethorea of online clothes sites-many of which have stores in Ireland but will ship from their Uk stores. You still save.

Every store is entitled to make a profit but stores such as M & S are overcharging. You would be naive if you thought it was all down to operating costs to explain the differential between Northern prices and here.

trying to run a shop in eire profitably, selling at anywhere near uk prices, is impossible

FACT!!!

• Advertisement

Where do you get these facts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

As a Consumer I will now choose never to buy from them again.

And that's the only way things will change. They will either reduce their prices or pull out of the country. Whichever makes more financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

trying to run a shop in eire profitably, selling at anywhere near uk prices, is impossible

FACT!!!

Try running your shop in Ireland!

As a Consumer I will now choose never to buy from them again.
    As a consumer I buy what I think is good value, if I see something expensive in a store I certainly do not boycott them which could be biting off my nose to spite my face, i.e. they could have something which is really good value in the future, I would still buy it there, or wherever was best value.

Every store is entitled to make a profit but stores such as M & S are overcharging.
    How do you think they decide what price to sell at?
    You would be naive if you thought it was all down to operating costs to explain the differential between Northern prices and here.
    You would be an idiot if you ran a business and did not aim to maximise your profits. You would be naive to think or expect businesses operate at the exact same margins in every country.

Im obviously aware that price margins vary but its not a disputed fact that many British outlets are riding their customers in terms of excessive margins. It all leads to a spiral. As a consumer I choose not to be ridden by them. Will buy online where available. As for patriotism ,saving the econmoy-give it a rest -I wont accept that one from people who have squandered billions.

• Advertisement

You would be naive if you thought it was all down to operating costs to explain the differential between Northern prices and here.
    As for patriotism ,saving the econmoy-give it a rest
    Nobody in this thread mentioned operating costs or patriotism.

Im obviously aware that price margins vary but its not a disputed fact that many British outlets are riding their customers in terms of excessive margins. It all leads to a spiral.

I will ask again -How do you think they decide what price to sell at?
    My answer would be they look at other stores in the country they set up in, be they owned by Irish or Mongolians, it does not matter. They will ride customers as long as they are bending over and taking it, from Irish or UK companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I wont accept that one from people who have squandered billions.

Good for you, but it wont affect them nearly as much as it will affect the rest of us with normal jobs (which I assume includes you) when we all lose those jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

rubadub wrote: »
    Apple also refuse to ship from the US to here. They charge more for ipods here since the market will pay more. Nothing really new it is going on for decades. Looks at region coding on games & dvds, been going on since the 80's or early 90's for games.

No...they won't ship to the EU from the USA because of the WEEE. Get your facts right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 huggy bear 1310

totally off the subject they are telling people not to be going the north to spend there money keep it down here but yet these huge supermarket chains are selling out to the english names ... whats that about

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

eth0_ wrote: »
    No...they won't ship to the EU from the USA because of the WEEE. Get your facts right.

Apple didn't ship to Europe long before WEEE became an issue. North Face don't allow US websites to sell to Europe either.

Most likely cause was that Apple like to have a European price (usually it seemed to be a direct dollar > euro conversion). Additional factors are the additional issues with aperwork and duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

totally off the subject they are telling people not to be going the north to spend there money keep it down here but yet these huge supermarket chains are selling out to the english names ... whats that about

Well, first of all, no-one's sold out to an English supermarket chain since quinnsworth/tesco... and secondly, since the stores will be IN ROI, the money (tax etc) will be kept in the economy. Yes, the parent company will still be making the profit, but that's not what the government is talking about.

FYI... for every €1bn spent abroad on FMCG items; 11,000 retail jobs are lost here. That's the reality, folks.

As for the OP, why would they deliver to Ireland? It's not a service they're obliged to offer. If you were in France, would you expect a German shop to deliver there? It's a different country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ILOff

shellyboo wrote: »

As for the OP, why would they deliver to Ireland? It's not a service they're obliged to offer. If you were in France, would you expect a German shop to deliver there? It's a different country.

Why wouldn't you expect them to sell to a different country?? Can you only buy BMWs in Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

ILOff wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you expect them to sell to a different country?? Can you only buy BMWs in Germany?

Can you buy a BMV online and get them to ship it from Germany to here? You'd go to the local dealership. She's not talking about the product - she can get the products in an M&S store in Ireland.

M&S are not obliged to offer a delivery service at all... if they don't ship to Ireland, they don't ship to Ireland. That's within their rights as the operators of the service. How is that a ripoff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Excuse me for resurrecting this slightly old thread.

Was driving home from work today and had the bright idea of buying some new shirts online from Marks & Spencer... got all excited when I went to their website and even saw that you can also design your own shirts, collars, colours, cuffs etc and get a monogram... needless to say I was extremely pee'd off when I realised they didnt ship to Ireland.

Price isnt all that important to me, its just time that is short and I dont have the time or inclination to go down the shopping centre to buy shirts. I like Marks and Spencer shirts, when I go in I just buy the same size as the other ones I have so trying them on isnt an issue, why oh why in this day and age does a company the size of Marks and Spencer not ship online sales to this country. They ship to other European countries so it just makes no sense whatsoever to me.

OUTRAGED!!!

I'm going off to google some other online menswear sites and buy my shirts there, if anyone has some links to other places I can take my business I'd be much appreciative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

zenit wrote: »
    Try running your shop in Ireland!

Might work in the north!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

What do you want? The Government to subsidize these Companies so that they charge us less so than we stay down South? Great than my income tax is increased. So easy to demand things mate alot harder to implement without affecting us else where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Where do you get these facts?

Costs are widely available.

Staff costs. Manager fashion store Ireland €40,000, UK £25,000
    Shop assistants average €11 / hour Ireland, £6.50 / hour UK
    Rent Liffey Valley average size store €420,000, Lakeside Thurrock £240,000
    Rates Liffey valley €55,000, Lakeside £24,000
    Electricity Ireland 19c / unit, UK 12c / unit

So if you get retail staff to take a 30% reduction in wages + get landlord to take 30% off their rents & councils to take 35% off their rates then retailers here will be able to match UK prices.

But if you expect these reductions, also expect to take 35% off your wages & bring yourself to the spending power of the UK equivalent of your job so that you can pay UK prices.

Very simple in theory, but it won't happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Tails142 wrote: »
    Excuse me for resurrecting this slightly old thread.

Was driving home from work today and had the bright idea of buying some new shirts online from Marks & Spencer... got all excited when I went to their website and even saw that you can also design your own shirts, collars, colours, cuffs etc and get a monogram... needless to say I was extremely pee'd off when I realised they didnt ship to Ireland.

Price isnt all that important to me, its just time that is short and I dont have the time or inclination to go down the shopping centre to buy shirts. I like Marks and Spencer shirts, when I go in I just buy the same size as the other ones I have so trying them on isnt an issue, why oh why in this day and age does a company the size of Marks and Spencer not ship online sales to this country. They ship to other European countries so it just makes no sense whatsoever to me.

OUTRAGED!!!

I'm going off to google some other online menswear sites and buy my shirts there, if anyone has some links to other places I can take my business I'd be much appreciative.

Go to Jaeger in the Kildare Village outlets. 4 shirts for €100. Normal price £65 stg each. Also, Cafe Cotton, Thomas Pink, Ralph Lauren have shirts for less than half retail prices.

Is that shop in Kildare village for men too?

eth0_ wrote: »
    Yeah, the WEEE is the only reason :rolleyes:
    parsi wrote: »
    Apple didn't ship to Europe long before WEEE became an issue. .
    EXACTLY. As I said it has been going on since the 80's & 90's for computer games, that is one I remember as a kid, but I imagine it is a very long standing practise on other items. Many companies will ship electronics from the US to here, the WEEE is just a convenient excuse for the gullible. If the WEEE did not exist there is still no way they would ship here, it would be foolish to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

many uk webstores won't deliver to Ireland

they have a postcode field that must be filled in

I've successfully had things delivered from the UK by using a random northern Ireland postcode*, I think when the stuff reaches NI it is redirected south, rather then being returned to the sender, although some webstores are far too clever, when you input a postcode it asks you to select your extact street number based on that postcode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

recessionbustours.ie accept UK deliveries from any online store to their northern ireland depot and then courier them south for €20 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

darc wrote: »
    Go to Jaeger in the Kildare Village outlets. 4 shirts for €100. Normal price £65 stg each. Also, Cafe Cotton, Thomas Pink, Ralph Lauren have shirts for less than half retail prices.

They won't be made to measure like the Marks and Spencer ones. They said to me in an email that they are thinking of delivering to ireland soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MiseEireannach

An old thread but at last M&S now delivering to Ireland for €4.95 delivery (per delivery rather than per item). Range is supposed to be wider than you will find in their Irish clothes. Great for someone like me living in the sticks who misses living near an M&S and delivery far cheaper than petrol (120 miles return to nearest store!). My first impressions of the site are great.:)

marksandspencer.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement