Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 coil location?

Options
  • 18-01-2009 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

lads can anyone help? I have an audi A4 2.0 SE 2002 and I reckon the coil is gone.Do any of you know where it's located?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

How do you know the coil pack is gone, what symptoms has the car got?
    Coil packs is on the cylinder head above the spark plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Neilw wrote: »
    How do you know the coil pack is gone, what symptoms has the car got?
    Coil packs is on the cylinder head above the spark plugs.

Well Im not certain for sure ,I reckon either that or a spark plug.Basically my wife rang today and said the car didnt have any accelaration and the engine sounded different but everything was fine.On my seat cordoba when that happened it was the coil.I havn't driven it or been able to look at it but it sounds like from what my wife told me it's misfiring.but can't be sure until I see it.And what tools spanner/wrench sizes do I need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Well Im not certain for sure ,I reckon either that or a spark plug.Basically my wife rang today and said the car didnt have any accelaration and the engine sounded different but everything was fine.On my seat cordoba when that happened it was the coil.I havn't driven it or been able to look at it but it sounds like from what my wife told me it's misfiring.but can't be sure until I see it.And what tools spanner/wrench sizes do I need?

What you can do is get a new spark plug and take out each ignition coil one at a time and plug a new spark plug into it (make sure the spark plug is earthed off the metal of the engine comewhere), try to start the car and if your spark plug is sparking, this coil is working, if not, you have a problem with the coil.

Do this with each of the four coils and test each one...

WARNING, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE A PACEMAKER AND TAKE PRECAUTIONS TO AVOID HIGH VOLTAGE SHOCK FROM COILS/SPARK PLUG. DO NOT TOUCH ANY PART OF THE ENGINE/BODY WHILE TURNING THE ENGINE OVER. IDEALLY, GET A MECHANIC TO CHECK THIS FOR YOU.

good man your self darragh thanks for that

good man your self darragh thanks for that

There are 4 of these plugged into the top of your engine.

Starting at any particular cylinder, CAREFULLY disconnect the electricial connection from the first coil, starting I suppose at cylinder no 1, and remove the coil gently with a screwdriver. Push your new spark plug into the business end of the oil (obviously with the ignition off!), and prop it up against the metal of the engine. Stand back and clear off the engine and get someone to turn over the engine for a second or two. You should see a spark coming from the plug gap, it will be very obvious at night but sometimes can be hard to see in daylight.

After you have checked one coil, put it back, connect up the electricial connection and put it back in with it's 10MM retaining bolt and move onto the next. Be careful when you take out the 10mm little bolt that holds in the coil, this will go walkies if you leave it on the engine and you then turn the engine over!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What you can do is get a new spark plug and take out each ignition coil one at a time and plug a new spark plug into it (make sure the spark plug is earthed off the metal of the engine comewhere), try to start the car and if your spark plug is sparking, this coil is working, if not, you have a problem with the coil.

Do this with each of the four coils and test each one...

WARNING, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU HAVE A PACEMAKER AND TAKE PRECAUTIONS TO AVOID HIGH VOLTAGE SHOCK FROM COILS/SPARK PLUG. DO NOT TOUCH ANY PART OF THE ENGINE/BODY WHILE TURNING THE ENGINE OVER. IDEALLY, GET A MECHANIC TO CHECK THIS FOR YOU.
    Thanks for the giving the warning Darragh.
    @Septic Leper - you give the impression that you don't know your way around an engine confidently. My advice would be to get the car to a competent mechanic. Voltage from a coil can kill quite easily - better safe than sorry!

kbannon wrote: »
    Thanks for the giving the warning Darragh.
    @Septic Leper - you give the impression that you don't know your way around an engine confidently. My advice would be to get the car to a competent mechanic. Voltage from a coil can kill quite easily - better safe than sorry!

Sometimes I worry giving people advice here when it comes to HT circuits because you know what the outcome could be if someone gets carried away and jumps into something like this and caution gets thrown to the wind, along with yourself if you pick up a few Kv!

Thanks for the advice lads ,It was the coil after all ,I checked the sparkplugs and they looked ok ,so just to be on the safeside I got a mechanic to check.1 faulty coil.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

We had the exact same thing happen with our A4 Cabriolet, twice. It just went into 'limp home' mode one day all of a sudden, with the engine running extremely rough. It's a very common problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Thanks for the advice lads ,It was the coil after all ,I checked the sparkplugs and they looked ok ,so just to be on the safeside I got a mechanic to check.1 faulty coil.:D
    VolvoMan wrote: »
    We had the exact same thing happen with our A4 Cabriolet, twice. It just went into 'limp home' mode one day all of a sudden, with the engine running extremely rough. It's a very common problem.

If one coil pack dies the rest will usually follow soon after, best bet is to replace all 4 coil packs and be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭tipptop2008

Anyone have any idea how much replacing a coil is? Have a VW which needs a new one

Neilw wrote: »
    If one coil pack dies the rest will usually follow soon after, best bet is to replace all 4 coil packs and be done.

gonna get another 3

Anyone have any idea how much replacing a coil is? Have a VW which needs a new one

145 lids it cost me today. 45 for diognasicts ,60 for labor and 47.11 for the coil.I was ripped but I needed the car for work but im gonna do-it myself next time

Did your mechanic show you how to check an ignition coil for funcionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Did your mechanic show you how to check an ignition coil for funcionality?
    Is it a simple test Darragh ? I have a 1.8 T Quattro and I had what I suspected was a faulty coilpack. Disconnected each one in turn with engine running ( idle ) and got a noticeable difference with the removal of each one. But seemed fine when replaced. Ran sh*t though. A diagnostics showed Cyl 3 CP to be faulty. Had to pay for the bloody diagnostic though. I think that when they are faulty, they break down under load, but to varying degrees. Anyway, +1 to previous poster ( get them all done if one fails ). I had to replace another 2 mths later, so I done the remaining 2 at that time. €36 ea. from Audi IIRC.

I have a couple if anyone is stuck. A4 1.8T '02 ( not bolt on )

dodzy wrote: »
    Is it a simple test Darragh ? I have a 1.8 T Quattro and I had what I suspected was a faulty coilpack. Disconnected each one in turn with engine running ( idle ) and got a noticeable difference with the removal of each one. But seemed fine when replaced. Ran sh*t though. A diagnostics showed Cyl 3 CP to be faulty. Had to pay for the bloody diagnostic though. I think that when they are faulty, they break down under load, but to varying degrees. Anyway, +1 to previous poster ( get them all done if one fails ). I had to replace another 2 mths later, so I done the remaining 2 at that time. €36 ea. from Audi IIRC.

It is a handy test but not scientific, it will identify an ingition coil that is dead, not not one that is weak if you know what I mean. Years ago, when the HT lead used to come up all the way from the distributor to the spark plug, you were able to put a clamp on each HT lead and identify a problem with a HV voltage being delivered or not delivered, whatever the case may be.

Are they the same for A4 2.0 2002?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Are they the same for A4 2.0 2002?

I seriously doubt it. Can you take a snap of one and post it here - i'll check tomorrow. On nightshift for my sins:(

I seriously doubt it. Can you take a snap of one and post it here - i'll check tomorrow. On nightshift for my sins:(

will do ,im on night shift myself

Advertisement