Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Discussion

• 18-01-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Everybody

I am just looking on some advice on the issue of squatters rights.

Ok, Back in 1996 my father started to use a piece of land behind our house. The land owner moved to America in 1960 ( from reports from people around the village) The land was used previous to us by our neighbour that let us use it as we were stuck for grass.

My father put a lot of work in to the field, I.e clearing the land as it was covered in buches etc. Fenced the field off, and put a water supply system in to the field.

The field in question is surrounded by a guys field. (guy called say X). After 3 years of occupying the field X decided he didn't like this and ploughed the field. So my father couldn't use it. By the way X isn't a ice man. And will go to any length to stop people occupying it

We continued on using the field after the grass grew back for some time. As far as I know X has had no contribution to this field, Oh and the right of way to this field is through X is land. We only use the land for 8 months of the year the other four were left to let the ground recover.

Has anyone else had a similar problem. We have tried hard to find the owner and in 1996 looked for legal advice on finding the owner, but to no avail.

Does anybody know where to make an application for this land? Would it be a problem that X also done something to the field when we were occupying it? Also my father was wondering how do you prove you were using it? This is my first time looking in to squatters rights, and as i know nothing about this issue I was wondering could someone shed some light on it. i'm not looking for legal aid, Just some general advice.

Many thanks

Oliver
    Tagged:

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Read the forum charter. When you've done that, look at the search function on the forum/thread and put in adverse possession and squatters. There are about 6 threads in existence which will more that likely address the above.

Advice is not allowed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement