Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot store bought curry?

• 18-01-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

My GF cooked a curry tonight that the jar said was hot, but when we tried it, it was pretty mild and sweet. We've tried a couple of different brands, but none of them have been hot, despite all claiming they are.

Does anybody know a supermarket brand curry that is *actually* hot? I went to an Indian restaurant a few years back and ordered the hottest thing they had. I went through a whole jug of water with the meal, but I'm not looking for something like that in store bought curry - just something closer to hot than a bland paste!

Any suggestions? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Try Lidl's Jalfreizi, it's got a kick! Add a few extra green chillis if you're feeling adventurous :)

Edit: Great minds, enfield :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Lidl have a nice glass jar of hot Madras sauce, if you chop up one chilli pepper (Aldi sell them cheap, 4 ish for a euro) and add it in it will blow your mind.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Just make your own paste. It's fresher, cheaper, tastes much better and you can make it as hot as you like. It's so easy, I have no idea why anyone buys jars of curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can't recommend highly enough the Dorling Kindersley book called ***drumroll*** CURRY!
    It is ordered by region, SE Asia, India, Pakistan, South africa etc and the recipes are very very good.
    If you like curry this is a very worthwhile book.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wink

I got a jalfrezi jar in Supervalu the other day. I love jalfrezi and was quite sceptical about how it would taste, but it was really great! Helpfully, I can't remember what the brand was - it wasn't own brand, or an easily recognisable brand name and came in a jar that was tall and thin.

I did throw a few extra chillies and a spoonful or so of garam masala in too. Yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm a big fan of Patak's paste. You can add more chillis to it, if you like it hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Wow, thanks for all the replies folks!

I'll give a couple of those a try and see how it goes! :)

Advertisement