Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen Scirocco, 5 door?

Options
  • 18-01-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hi lads just wondering does the new VW Sirocco come in a 5 door model? If not right now maybe sometime in the future?

VW_Scirocco_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yes it does.

It's called the Golf GTi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Can't see it happening. It just wouldn't be a Sirocco if it was a 5 Door. Just like having a 5 Door Corrado - you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Its currently only a three door model. I think the marketing is something along the lines of if you want a five door, you should look at a 5 door GTI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

By right there shouldn't even be a 5door GTI,when i see 5 door GTI's i just cringe,if you want a 5 door GTI by an octavia VRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Ah I see. That's a balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

There deffo wont be a 5 door i d say , its like the Volvo C30 its a 3 door coupe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

nope, 3 only - and i saw a black one today in the flesh, a 2.0tdi, not really that nice tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

nope, 3 only - and i saw a black one today in the flesh, a 2.0tdi, not really that nice tbh.

I disagree, I think it is one of the best looking cars out there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

maidhc wrote: »
    I disagree, I think it is one of the best looking cars out there right now.

Sex on wheels in my opinion.

auulp0lnv9.jpg

One mans poison is another mans pleasure tbh, but the one i saw today looked nothing like that one above...Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

GusGus wrote: »
    There deffo wont be a 5 door i d say , its like the Volvo C30 its a 3 door coupe

There's a 5 door C30 on the way apparently, but i think thats meant to be an a3 or golf hatch rival where the scirocco is supposed to be just a coupe, even if in reality its just a golf in a mini skirt

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tossy wrote: »
    By right there shouldn't even be a 5door GTI,when i see 5 door GTI's i just cringe,if you want a 5 door GTI by an octavia VRS.
    Why not? There have been 5dr Golf GTIs since the Mk2, i'd have one over a 3dr any day.

I suppose its all a matter of taste anan but GTIs should be 3 door for me,and even with todays technology and suspension improvements a 3dr will always out handled a 5 dr due to the extra rigidity,besides the fact the look way better.

CB4_1278453_1_1088882.jpgCB4_1266514_9_1062036.jpg

media?id=841757942media?id=841948536

I had a 3dr Mk2 16v, great car but only having 3 doors was a pain in the tits. Sure it looked better than a 5dr but my convenience has to come before the aesthetic gratification of strangers. On which point, you could have no doors on the Mk5 and it'd still look like a dog's dinner - why not at least make the thing practical?

I do agree that a 3dr will be a bit lighter and a bit more rigid, but the difference is marginal.

I do agree on the practicality point,this is why i drive a four door saloon :D

Even apart from having people in the back, it is nice to be able to open the door more than a crack in a tight parking space, dontcha think?;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

One mans poison is another mans pleasure tbh, but the one i saw today looked nothing like that one above...Nothing.

agreed, seen a few in the flesh now and they all looked like bravos. Looks stunning in some of the pics but big let down for me in the flesh. Possibly it was the colours I've seen, they have all been that funny looking blue.

Yes 3 dr golfs are for people with no friends who shop alone in tescos,lets startthe campaign/rumours here and now! :D

A 5dr golf or a saloon car says look at me i am quite possibly married and without a doubt have quite a few friends! :D

Another point worth noting is that all the ones pictured have been either high spec versions or european tuning house versions,where as most of the ones you will see over here are irish poverty spec versions!

copacetic wrote: »
    agreed, seen a few in the flesh now and they all looked like bravos. Looks stunning in some of the pics but big let down for me in the flesh. Possibly it was the colours I've seen, they have all been that funny looking blue.

yeah, depends on colour and wheels big time.

+1 on tossy's comment re; poverty spec - yeah, bloody shame ain't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I agree that the 3 door GTI is a better looker than it's 5-door sister, but I also concur with Anan... having had one now for 2 years, it is an absolute pain in the tits when carrying passengers! The seats in the Golf are needlessly complicated to slide forward. Fortunately I don't give lifts to people too often :pac:

As for the Scirocco, I think its a hideously over-priced car. You can pick up a very slightly used 320d Coupe or similar for the same price as a new Scirocco. I know which one my money would be on.

And it isn't even all that good looking. I can't understand why so many people are creaming themselves over it! Look at the ride height for starters, you could fit your head between the top of the rear wheel and the arch. Add to all this, the Irish-spec ones are typically low rent, VW Ireland style. An bargain basement stereo, manual aircon, cloth seats, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I've seen a white one a few times around castleknock, looks nice front on the ar$e is terrible (a bit like the new Passat CLC, beautiful in the photos, terrible in the Irish spec flesh)

VAG are very good at designing vehicles that look amazing in the press photos and are underwhelming in the flesh, the Q7 being the most vulgar ugliest of them all IMHO.

Victor_M wrote: »
    I've seen a white one a few times around castleknock, looks nice front on the ar$e is terrible (a bit like the new Passat CLC, beautiful in the photos, terrible in the Irish spec flesh)

VAG are very good at designing vehicles that look amazing in the press photos and are underwhelming in the flesh, the Q7 being the most vulgar ugliest of them all IMHO.

Good point....some car makers are great at making a vehicle look fantastic in press photos and then in the flesh, they don't look well at all.
    Porsche is a case in point - the Cayenne press shots made the new prestige 4x4 look the dogs when it came out, and then when you see them in the flesh, well, they look like ransid dog food tbh.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Yes 3 dr golfs are for people with no friends who shop alone in tescos,lets startthe campaign/rumours here and now! :D

I know somebody that's going to get a black eye at Gandon :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ah I see. That's a balls.

Nope, it's not a balls at all. What would be a balls is a 5 door Scirocco!

K-Jet wrote: »
    I know somebody that's going to get a black eye at Gandon :p

ha ha i haven't started on TDIs and passats yet! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

why would you cringe, the GTi isn't a sports coupe, it's a hot hatch!!! 3 or 5 doors is personal preference or practicality!!

As for the VRS ..it's a saloon not a hatch back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

ha ha i haven't started on TDIs and passats yet! :D:D

Go at them all you want! I'm in a 3dr GTI! TDI's are for farmers and passats are for sales managers. Boras are for loosers though :P

whippet wrote: »
    why would you cringe, the GTi isn't a sports coupe, it's a hot hatch!!! 3 or 5 doors is personal preference or practicality!!

As for the VRS ..it's a saloon not a hatch back.

Actually it's a hatch back!!

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I agree that the 3 door GTI is a better looker than it's 5-door sister, but I also concur with Anan... having had one now for 2 years, it is an absolute pain in the tits when carrying passengers! The seats in the Golf are needlessly complicated to slide forward. Fortunately I don't give lifts to people too often :pac:

As for the Scirocco, I think its a hideously over-priced car. You can pick up a very slightly used 320d Coupe or similar for the same price as a new Scirocco. I know which one my money would be on.

And it isn't even all that good looking. I can't understand why so many people are creaming themselves over it! Look at the ride height for starters, you could fit your head between the top of the rear wheel and the arch. Add to all this, the Irish-spec ones are typically low rent, VW Ireland style. An bargain basement stereo, manual aircon, cloth seats, etc, etc.

Hang on - it's €500 cheaper than a 3dr Golf GTi with the same engine. How can it be hideously over-priced? And it's better looking than the mundane Golf. That makes it a better buy than the 3dr GTI in my opinion! Less money for better looks! How bad?

Advertisement