Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHANGE IN LETTERKENNY!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

The Cafe idea is a good one.

Definitely a good idea, something different. I was in a new cafe last time I was home in that shopping park on the link road beside argos. It had a kind of a 'swing' feel to it and they were playing really nice music that presented a nice change from 2fm or dare I say it, sean doherty!
    The Library may have a large collection but it should all be online - thats where people do their research these days.

Again I don't disagree and I certainly think that they should at least have thier catalogue online for a start, as this only encourages people to visit the library and make use of their archives. To digitally put their collection online would be a huge undertaking but maybe putting up information that realtes directly to local area might be a good start?
    Do not even talk about a comparasion with Derry, so much money was thrown at it in grants etc it would need to be even better. I'll bet if you look up how much it got in comparison to Donegal which suffered through the troubles you'd be quite annoyed at how we lost out again. Even our tourism things are either cross border or lumped in with Sligo etc even though Donegal is probably a bigger net contribitor to the tourism agencies and certainly is the Jewel attraction wise of the North West.

I think you've misunderstood me here. While I agree completely with the fact that Donegal has been unfairly marginalised in favour of the south, what I meant is that Derry is making much more use of its local heritage through events etc. to attract tourists than Letterkenny.
    At present Beanstalks post shows many are a waste of public money.

They certainly are, but only in how they are run and advertised, not for their existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I certainly think that they should at least have thier catalogue online for a start. To digitally put their collection online would be a huge undertaking but maybe putting up information that realtes directly to local area might be a good start?

The library catalogue for all the branches of the Donegal Library is available on www.donegallibrary.ie, along with links to items of local interest. This could be more extensive, but there is a feedback facility, so I take it efforts are being made to make the site more comprehensive and user-friendly.

Wow, this is great! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

My point about Derry Vs Donegal as you first posted Beanstalk and not Donegal vs Southern Ireland (thats another story too) is that if you wanted to do anything in Derry over the years there was huge funding available.

In Letterkenny the festival was reliant on contributions and paying its own way, maybe with a drinks company sponsorship and a little marketing grant from Bord Failte, nothing like what is available to Derry.

We have a good Arts Festival now but its largely due to the fact that the Arts Officer is involved and can help aquire funding too.

Even our 'local Radio' is a commercial concern and doesn't offer free support to festivals etc, but they don't receive subsidies that I know of in any great terms. Perhaps more of our amenities should be like Highland and be self sufficient that way they would have to make their business operation more inclusive and attractive.

Yeah but what im trying to get across is that its not about funding its about the general attitude towards local heritage and cultural events in general.

Saying theres no money for it or it'll cost too much is the just old story thats being going around letterkenny for years. Ramelton still hosts the Lennon Festival. Burtonport and Dungloe still run successful festivals. Why is Letterkenny different? Recent Jazz festivals in Derry have met with huge success and drew thousands of people into the town and boosted the local economy. Donegal council is trying to promote cultural heritage, and has a new plan called 'cultural connections', it will be interesting to see if they come up with any new events or festivals. Letterkenny just needs people who are willing to take on the responsibility.

Yeah Derry has more funding, but thats because of its size and recent history, as well as its economic importance to Northern Ireland in general. Im not trying to start an argument, its just hard to come to terms with the fact that Letterkenny just keeps growing and growing and losing its identity and is just becoming another faceless town in Ireland with no historical significance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭clones1980

Lived dere for 2 and half years. Only left five months ago. IT was the best 2 and half years of my life. Had an absolute ball.

PS - id move back in the morning just for the nitelife alone oh not to mention the drive from letterkenny to Fanad and portsalon beach:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The biggest event in letterkenny is the Donegal rally in june, i know some people who arn't into rallying hate rally weekend but at the end of the day its one of if not the biggest cash generator in the area!

Advertisement