Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wat do you want for Semester 2???

Options
  • 18-01-2009 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

So as the second semester is fast approaching it's time for me to ask the question, what do you want from your SU or even DIT for that matter??

There are many things that are achievable and can be sorted out! No matter if its a big or small issue we want to know about it so we can actaully do something about it!!

So take this opportunity to let us know and we will do what we can!!

Your Vice President
    Tracey Flinter ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Hi Tracey, Glenn here. 1st yr Media Arts Class Rep.

At the start of the year we got a big talk on not going to Java because of their prices, yet its cheaper to get a nice toasted sambo there than it is for the ones in the SU shop

As well as this I think the standards in the restaurant have fallen big time

What about you? What do you want from the students apart from the protest on Feb 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hiya Tracey, couple of things come to mind specific to Bolton St.. I'm not a class rep, but that shouldn't matter? ;)

First is E block - I'm in DT028/1 and the smell of certain somethings in that building is shocking. Something long term obviously isn't going to happen with Grangegorman and the buget etc but we really should be either accommodated elsewhere or at the very least, a job should be done on the toilets on the ground floor.

Second thing is internet access - we have just the one break in the day and it's always 1-2pm, so damn near impossible to get internet access in the library because it's always packed out. Is there anything that can be done about getting Internet access in the labs when there's no classes on? I was in Aungier Street last year and they can manage it there, why the issue with Bolton Street?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

So as the second semester is fast approaching it's time for me to ask the question, what do you want from your SU or even DIT for that matter??

There are many things that are achievable and can be sorted out! No matter if its a big or small issue we want to know about it so we can actaully do something about it!!

So take this opportunity to let us know and we will do what we can!!

Your Vice President
    Tracey Flinter ;)

How about cheaper shop prices? Some of the prices are shocking, the SU shop should help us not leech off us... I'm in DIT for 4th year now and always try boycott the shop, rip off. This is something that is a small issue and can be done with immediate effect!

Take for example the snackery in Kevin St. The little canteen area is such a rip off, go downstairs to the main canteen and get the same item for about 20/30c less. It's simple business that if you lower the price of items there's a good chance that the rates of sales will improve, which will overall lead to a bigger profit margin. The high prices and the lack of sales, (due to outsourcing, even if it is just downstairs!!) is bad business.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Hi Tracey,

My names John I'm in first year in Cathal Brugha, I don't have anything to complain about cause basically Cathal Brugha has great labs, awesome SU area and the Canteen is lovely and not over priced.

Just the library is the only concern, there is generally lots of study spaces and computers are handy enough to come across its just the Science section in the library is some what lackluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

stevire wrote: »
    How about cheaper shop prices? Some of the prices are shocking, the SU shop should help us not leech off us... I'm in DIT for 4th year now and always try boycott the shop, rip off. This is something that is a small issue and can be done with immediate effect!

Take for example the snackery in Kevin St. The little canteen area is such a rip off, go downstairs to the main canteen and get the same item for about 20/30c less. It's simple business that if you lower the price of items there's a good chance that the rates of sales will improve, which will overall lead to a bigger profit margin. The high prices and the lack of sales, (due to outsourcing, even if it is just downstairs!!) is bad business.

exactly. and some items are 5/10c cheaper in the canteen than in the SU shop. there's absolutely no need for it.

also employ the phantom of kevin street, he got some good things done :) although whether or not he'd take the offer is up to him or is it her? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

id love you to find me a job for work placement...........but i dont think it comes under your area!!!! and id love for you to get a gig night with the delorentos supported by the mighty stef!!!! i will love you forever!!!! and i agree with the earlier posts about the canteen declining, in aungier st anyway, depending on who you get behind the serveover and the till, you sometimes get twice as much for a fair price and then the other times its half as much for twice the price!!!! some across the board prices that are stuck to would be appreciated greatley, because just by the numbers that are going to fresh these days, the canteen is losing its customers because of bad value.

also with the canteen especially in aungier st. why is it one price for one person and another price for another.

plenty of times i've been there and had the exact same meal as my friend yet the prices in the meals could differ between 50c-€1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

According to an email I just got, the Q6A forms are available on the ditsu website but the hyperlinked image above the text about said form does not link to these forms.
    Can someone please post a link to the electronic copy please?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

There seems to have been a problem with all the links in the email. If you go here...

http://www.ditsu.ie/rate

you can download the form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

looking around ast deffo the canteen the prices are a joke i do agree with the point that it depends who you are r who serves ya what price ya pay. Also i cant say much about the standard of the food is ast is not the best. was in iadt yesterday and the difference in the foood was vast and it still was campell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Broken seats in the lecture theatres in Aungier St. Sometimes, last semester our classroom was so packed that people had to sit on the steps because there were 4 seats broken. So a supposedly 60 person class isn't one and they were broken from day one. Shoddy imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

also with the canteen especially in aungier st. why is it one price for one person and another price for another.

plenty of times i've been there and had the exact same meal as my friend yet the prices in the meals could differ between 50c-€1.
    I love this! I always get my breakfast for a Euro cheaper than it should be and all my mates get charged full price! Yer one behind the till his great! I love the canteen in Kevin St.

The Aungier St. canteen however is terribly over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Kevin St bay far does the best breakfast and whats more its cheeper then aungier... and the big difference... Kevin St use "Kevin St Cattering ltd" where as aungier use that awful one Campbell's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shamama

3rd year student Kevin St...and my gripe is defo with the canteen; the fresh fruit (if they ever any) is TOTALLY overpriced and usually rotten. They should be giving that stuff away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Hi, I'm a Product Design student. What I would really like to get is work placement, and some collaboration with course leaders and local design or enterprise companies on that matter. Just like everyone else in my class, I feel that this matter should be taken more seriously, as we spend a lot of our time and energy on the course. Some of us have to work extra hours in part time jobs to buy essential books or materials.

After all, the people who are working in the design industry are either going to retire one day and to keep going, new graduates will have to enter to keep the whole industry competitive. We really need some experience, but we can't find any.

I just don't want to see all the hours and effort we have put in wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Flinter08/09

Glad to hear you are getting it all out, keep it coming!

I can tell you we are working on all of the issues that have been raised!!

Thanks,
    Your Vice President,
    Tracey Flinter :)

Other than talking to the lecturer in question, which will be done when lectures resume, is there anything that can be done when a lecturer just doesn't give enough time for an exam? Nobody had enough time by any stretch of the imagination with a LOT of people not getting anywhere near finished.

oh and also,

two exams on our timetable were listed incorrectly. Both were listed as being three hours long and in reality they were two hours but we were only told this just as they began. Frankly that's disgraceful and I'd like to see an appology to the class from the exams office.

also in Kevin street, the final year project lab (a117) is being used by years outside their scheduled timetabled times despite repeated telling offs or pointing at the signs or writing 'final year lab' on the white board.

and not all computers work in there, some do not log on to the network. pretty shoddy tbh.

also i think it's a bit hypocritical that there are non final year courses scheduled for labs in a 'final year lab' as well. as far as i'm aware there is only one non final year lab there but it was scheduled at the same time that final year's have no other classes so effectively we are kicked out of our lab.

and one lecturers (computer science lecturer) response to this was: "Can you not buy laptops and use the snackery?".

what a shoddy response tbh, there have been quite a few times final year students have gotten 'smart alec' responses from lab supervisors/lecturers when it comes to labs and tbh i thought after 4 years in the college we would be treated with a bit more respect than that we're given.

Hi, I'm a Product Design student. What I would really like to get is work placement, and some collaboration with course leaders and local design or enterprise companies on that matter. Just like everyone else in my class, I feel that this matter should be taken more seriously, as we spend a lot of our time and energy on the course. Some of us have to work extra hours in part time jobs to buy essential books or materials.

After all, the people who are working in the design industry are either going to retire one day and to keep going, new graduates will have to enter to keep the whole industry competitive. We really need some experience, but we can't find any.

I just don't want to see all the hours and effort we have put in wasted.

Hello Product Design Student,

Can you please pm me on my work email address, it's vpacademic@ditsu.ie so I can advise you on this situation. It is a very valid point and I would appreciate if you could get in contact with me!!

Thanks,
    Your Vice President
    Tracey

• Advertisement

also in Kevin street, the final year project lab (a117) is being used by years outside their scheduled timetabled times despite repeated telling offs or pointing at the signs or writing 'final year lab' on the white board.

and not all computers work in there, some do not log on to the network. pretty shoddy tbh.

also i think it's a bit hypocritical that there are non final year courses scheduled for labs in a 'final year lab' as well. as far as i'm aware there is only one non final year lab there but it was scheduled at the same time that final year's have no other classes so effectively we are kicked out of our lab.

and one lecturers (computer science lecturer) response to this was: "Can you not buy laptops and use the snackery?".

what a shoddy response tbh, there have been quite a few times final year students have gotten 'smart alec' responses from lab supervisors/lecturers when it comes to labs and tbh i thought after 4 years in the college we would be treated with a bit more respect than that we're given.

Hello Creamy Goodness,

Ok firstly there is a resource issue here the first person you need to get into contact with is the Head of School. I can put you in touch with her if you pm me on vpacademic@ditsu.ie

We as the Students Union sit on the Science Faculty Board so we can also raise awareness on the issue there if you would like that???

Thanks,
    Your Vice President
    Tracey

oh and also,

two exams on our timetable were listed incorrectly. Both were listed as being three hours long and in reality they were two hours but we were only told this just as they began. Frankly that's disgraceful and I'd like to see an appology to the class from the exams office.

Hello Miss No Stars,

First of all you need to email the exams office in question and let them know of the issues that were caused. If you notify your class rep they can bring it forward to programme committee. Your programme chair is responsible for this if you wish to find out who exactly that is please contact me on the details belows. Fair time should have been allocated and if your marks are affected by this then we can bring this up at faculty board. Let me know!!

Did your lecturer mention towards the end of semester one what the time allocation was for the exam? Normally lecturers cover previous exam papers in the last class or so?

You can pm me on vpacademic@ditsu.ie

Thanks,
    Your Vice President
    Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

tywy wrote: »
    Broken seats in the lecture theatres in Aungier St. Sometimes, last semester our classroom was so packed that people had to sit on the steps because there were 4 seats broken. So a supposedly 60 person class isn't one and they were broken from day one. Shoddy imho.

That kills me for 9am lectures :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

NCI RAG WEEK:
    Rag Week Confirmed!!!

* Monday: Scavenger Hunt, Live Band; 'Von Shakes' in SUB, Bondi.

*Tuesday: Inflatables outside, Karaoke, Purty Kitchen

*Weds: Iron Stomach, Poker Tournament, LADS Quiz in Cafe Urbano, GIRLS Ann Summers Party in SUB, then Club 21.

*Thurs: MYSTERY TOUR.

*Fri: Skag day in SUB with DVD's and Pizza

why cant we do something like that :(

Hello Creamy Goodness,

Ok firstly there is a resource issue here the first person you need to get into contact with is the Head of School. I can put you in touch with her if you pm me on vpacademic@ditsu.ie

We as the Students Union sit on the Science Faculty Board so we can also raise awareness on the issue there if you would like that???

Thanks,
    Your Vice President
    Tracey

Hi Tracey, thanks for replying.

I'll forward on my college email address to you so we can sort out the resource issues (pc's not working etc.)

I had asked certain high up lecturers in the school who was the new head of the school of computing and i got blank looks and "i don't know but all i know the person is female". why is there such mystery behind who it is, surely i don't know about you but if i became head of a school i'd make myself known to both students and staff.

I feel like the timetabling of other non-final year classes in a project lab won't be fixed for semester 2 and i can understand this but it'd be nice for the following years to have the lab free for themselves all the time.

It would be great if you could bring these issues at the science faculty board, also if I could get a contact as to who to go to when there are issues inside the school of computing as due to the transition of school heads, no one - not even our class rep - knows where or who to go either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

We want ecstasy testing kits to be sold in Student Union shops. Too many students are eating pills which contain little or no ecstasy and god knows what else.

Testing kits are inexpensive, 100% legal and can save lives...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

1) broken seats in lecture rooms
    2) a lack of recent exam papers available online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

We want ecstasy testing kits to be sold in Student Union shops. Too many students are eating pills which contain little or no ecstasy and god knows what else.

this

We also want a stock of fresh needles to be sold. Students need to be able to shoot up in the jacks with out the risk of contracting the HIV virus. It is vital to our education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Even more inexpensive, legal and would also save lives if you didn't take them. :rolleyes:
    Or use the forensics course people to test for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

Ass Face wrote: »
    this

We also want a stock of fresh needles to be sold. Students need to be able to shoot up in the jacks with out the risk of contracting the HIV virus. It is vital to our education.

Lol! This too please tracy! Also can we provide maintanance doses of heroin to the "dyin' sick" students.:D

But seriously though as an ex-pill popper I can verify that there is a lot more nasty alternatives in pills today, many dangerous and all unpleasant.

Advertisement