Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wat do you want for Semester 2???

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Flinter08/09

Ok haven't been on Boards so here are my answers to all that goes on in DIT.

The Libraries in DIT, we in DITSU have carried out a survey based specifically on the libraries to find out what exactly you the students want and need! We are currently working on data mining this info and hope to post the finding both within our publications and also at all Academic meetings be they faculty boards and council.

The DIT library staff are carrying out a survey themselves to compare our findings with their findings. That survey has been sent to all your student email account so if you get the chance please fill it in. The more information we have the more power we have!

The libraries opening early and on a Sunday: as most of you would be aware the library opening hours have been extended this year already. They were extended to cover the christmas and easter period.

A new agreement has been signed by all library staff and this means that we should have flexi time for all the opening hours. That means the libraries opening an hour earlier and also opening an hour longer when needed!! This is currently being worked out and I have been on the case so don't worry! I will report back when I get some more info!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

and what about the rest of the buildings? I access to labs in Kevin St.... will the building be open as well... Ie access to the snakery for group work...since the snakery was not open last week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shamama

The Libraries in DIT, we in DITSU have carried out a survey based specifically on the libraries to find out what exactly you the students want and need! We are currently working on data mining this info and hope to post the finding both within our publications and also at all Academic meetings be they faculty boards and council.

The DIT library staff are carrying out a survey themselves to compare our findings with their findings. That survey has been sent to all your student email account so if you get the chance please fill it in. The more information we have the more power we have!

Well, sounds like everyone's been busy trying to tackle the issue in a serious, thoughtful manne...um, but have a listen to this little story;

As for the generous 'longer Easter hours' (I don't know anyone in the private sector that had 4 days off at Easter, but I digress), there sees to have been a glitch in Kevin St yesterday...THE PORTER ONLY ALLOWED APPRENTICE STUDENTS IN. When I asked the full time desk staff today they said yes, the library was open due to apprentice exams but no, it was open for everyone. You know how many people showed up at the library yesterday? One. Looking for a mate.

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE IN ANY WAY?

You can design all the fancy, in-depth surveys and reports you like, but I can't even fathom how such a lack in communication is possible.

Thank God it's my final year, don't think I could magage this lot for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

shamama;

I 99% agree with you...except to say that DIT is a public instution an such all of there staff are public sector (slaves) (but that's for another forum...)

I personally cannot see Y DIT could not have been open on Tuesday... except for the fact that some staff wanted an extra days holidays...I had this very same problem last year (I was a final year undergrad) this year i'm postgrad. one rule for one type of student and one for another... this gets to me...

Generous easter hours my B**ix DIT closed at 12/1 pm on holy thursday... and the 4 days what about students trying to study... or gain access to faciltys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

The libraries opening early and on a Sunday: as most of you would be aware the library opening hours have been extended this year already. They were extended to cover the christmas and easter period.

A new agreement has been signed by all library staff and this means that we should have flexi time for all the opening hours. That means the libraries opening an hour earlier and also opening an hour longer when needed!! This is currently being worked out and I have been on the case so don't worry! I will report back when I get some more info!!:)

Clearly you're missing the point. Opening at 0930 is too late. It should be 0900 at the latest, permenantly. Flexi time is fine and good to deal with extra demand when required, but they haven't dealt with the library opening too late to begin with!

So I say again. The library needs to open at 0900 at the latest. Not as flexi time, not as a temporary thing - as a permenant thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement