Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronical/Computer engineering/Comp Sys

• 18-01-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Am in 6th year now and am thinking about doing these...what do ye think of them:D

supposed to be electronical*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Did computer engineering and now im 24 and want to go back to college to do something else.

All I say is make sure you get an understanding of what you will be studying before you make a decision. Dont jump in blind thinking that you will like it only to realise that you dont and waste 4 years.

Im not trying to presuade you not to do it as I know many of my classmates like what they are doing now i'm just saying be sure it's what you want.

Maybe email some of the lectures and ask them some questions and make up your mind that way.

Hope this helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

I did it and love it. Electronic Eng. Its my hobby as well as my job...

I am still going back to do medecine though. I hate spelling that word lol ;)

Good luck.
    If you need more idea's on what you can do then check out lego mindstorms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Am in second year Computer Engineering. If you really like electronics, electrical science and circuitry, then Electronic is pretty good. If you prefer programming and computer systems then Computers is good. For the first three semesters the courses are the same and there's a mix of both. Some of the electronic boys hated the programming, while I didn't care much for the circuitry. If you want to do either course make sure you're good at maths, cause there's a lot of that there. But the best thing is that there is certainly no glut of computer/electronic engineers at the moment. Our programming lecturer was telling us that he used to have his lectures in the concert hall, now there's only two of us. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

I am in first year robotic engineering and loving it. I share a lot of modules with the electronic and computer engineers. Like Looper said, there is a lot of maths, and its a big step up from lc hons, but doable, the support tutorials coming up to exams are very good!! Also check the course outline to see if you must do a general module, i had a choice of business or language modules and had to do 1.... As far as I know you can transfer between electronic and computer engineering in the first few years. Also there is a bigger electronic class, there arent as many computer engineers from what i can see.
    Hope this helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 galwayhalfpint

hey there,
    i am interested in doing this course, but i don't know if you go to gmit or nuig?
    which is the better of two evils, hoping that someone can help..
    I am really interested in any thing to do with computer, just a little worried for the course containts ???

cheers for any help!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

Well seen as this is posted in the UL thread its about the UL courses. If you want to find out about the NUIG or GMIT courses post in their threads under 'Edu'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd imagine if you want a job on graduation Comp Eng would be the one to do.

Don't know anything about the course though. If you have no interest in Java, PHP, HTML and other programming languages it would be pretty pointless going any further until you find out what you think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

which course would you choose and why?

edit: supposed to be OR not of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

And crappy spelling too!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

thanks for that, just the type answer i was looking for!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

coffey-16 wrote: »
    which course would you choose and why?

edit: supposed to be OR not of!

You do realise that you started this thread just over a month ago

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465367&highlight=computer+systems+computer+electronical+engineering

You'd think you'd just bump that one back up, instead of starting an entirely new thread :rolleyes:

A quick search brought this to light. Merge Mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I did Computer Systems. I wanted to get into the software side rather than the hardware side, which the engineering course is more geared towards. As far as jobs go, well tbh, you'll be lucky to find any kind of jobs now but both offer plenty of opportunities. Both have strong emphasis on Maths, with Comp Sys using this for programming purposes.

Its a personal perference after that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Mossin wrote: »
    A quick search brought this to light. Merge Mods?

Merged.

This one too has atrocious spelling :D

As an aside OP, theres plenty of comp sys threads about if you search for them. Hell, half the people here were comp sys, which I think goes to show the caliber of people it leads to! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Peteee wrote: »
    Hell, half the people here were comp sys, which I think goes to show the caliber of people it leads to! :pac:

Enjoy Comp Eng, coffey-16!

Advertisement