Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Drinking Question

Options
  • 18-01-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I was filling out an online form/profile and one of the questions was do you drink? The answers were rarely, socially, 3+ times a week and never. It got me thinking. I usually only drink one or maybe two times a week max.

I often drink at home with a bottle of wine interacting with Boards members or chatting online with others via IM, Skype or on cam who may or may not be drinking. Does this qualify as social drinking or is it only social when you are actually in a pub/bar/club or entertaining realtime fleshworld people at home?

I am not actually socially inept (I went to a Melbourne Beers on Friday btw) but have major commitments and sometimes staying at home with a bottle of plonk costing less than $20 makes much more sense than hitting the city and blowing $200 and having nothing to show for it but patchy memories and a bad hangover the next day.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

.......hic..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Ah no you're grand. You picked it up completly wrong.

It's only Social if you're drinking the social welfare money. Easy mistake to make ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Good point OP, but Charles Bukowski sure was talking sh!t!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Unfortunately our livers don't discriminate between social or private drinking! I think the presumption is nobody really drinks alone which is construed as being a bit sad .... I disagree - i would have more time for someone who enjoys a beer/glass of wine on their own rather that getting rat arsed in a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

dSTAR wrote: »
    I often drink at home with a bottle of wine interacting with Boards members or chatting online with others via IM, Skype or on cam who may or may not be drinking. Does this qualify as social drinking or is it only social when you are actually in a pub/bar/club or entertaining realtime fleshworld people at home?

this doesn't count. you're still drinking by yourself. no shame in that by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

When I was a kid knacker drinking was the in thing. Is this a more advanced form of drinking called nerd drinking after most of your friends have grown up and gotten married and you are left with a computer, net connection and bottle of plonk for your weekend entertainment? :confused:

The beers went well. I got to meet the Whitewashman for the first time. It finished earlier than expected but that didn't stop me from continuing on when I got home. Posting on Boards when drunk now there is a completely different discussion altogether and something I try to avoid. The pub scene is not the same over here even though we were in an Irish pub with lots of Irish people drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

OP, everyone lies about that sort of stuff on forms about jobs, insurance and bail.

Don't they? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

dSTAR wrote: »

I don't think that counts... as far as my trail of thought was, I thought social drinking is drinking to be social, ie to fit in with a group of people who are... not applicable in that case...

Well, that's just how I see the term "social drinking", it's poorly defined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I doubt it really OP. The weather here is awful. Was out on Thurs and there were people freezing outside going for a smoke. Is smoking legal in bars in Australia/New Zealand? If it is then you are in a far better position. The weather of course makes a huge difference.

If you are happy with occasional drinker then put it down (once or twice a week)

...as far as my trail of thought was, I thought social drinking is drinking to be social, ie to fit in with a group of people...
    You see this where I am confused. Is it only considered social when amongst a group of people. Isn't interacting with people using BBS's, Skype, Cam and IM being social as well and by extension social drinking if you are having a drink when doing this?

This is a serious question btw because I am sure there a lot of people that do it and don't consider themselves socially inept or worse still alcoholics.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Is smoking legal in bars in Australia/New Zealand?
    Smoking is banned in pubs in Victoria and most states except for NT as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I can help you help yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

dStar , I think you should ask yourself , if you drink more at home online , than you would if you were out in company.
    If the answer is the same or less , then I would put down socially as you are interacting with people anyway, just in a different manner.
    Just an opinion though.:)

Dammit Terry , I had my speakers up full.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    OP, everyone lies about that sort of stuff on forms about jobs, insurance and bail.

Don't they? :pac:

And orgasms apparently.

Ah , come on, now, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

javaboy wrote: »
    And orgasms apparently.

Not sure what forms you're filling out.....

And orgasms apparently.

Cum Come off it:P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dammit Terry , I had my speakers up full.
    16 year old rock is a good thing.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not sure what forms you're filling out.....

All I know is I filled them in in triplicate last night. That's right. Count em. Three times!

Come again.

• Advertisement

Run out of sex puns already? I knew you couldn't keep it up!

I think you should ask yourself , if you drink more at home online , than you would if you were out in company...
    I will admit that it has happened in past. Possibly because it is so much cheaper to drink at home and with so many specials in the supermarkets sometimes the temptation is definitely there to consume as much as you would on a night out. I know my limit though and usually stop before getting silly.

Lasted for 2 minutes though.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

/picks up baton

I can keep it up ;-O

/passes

Oh noes

The thread has descended into sex pun central.

Brewers droop much?

julep wrote: »
    16 year old rock is a good thing.

I agree , so is this.

I knew you couldn't keep it up!

If that's the kind of thing she normally says, then I'd say you're being taken for a ride.

/ or not , as the case may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I hate the format that websites take for this kind of thing...
    They should ask the question and have a text box underneath for you to describe exactly what you mean, not checkboxes with predetermined answers.

Example:

Your weight:
    -Slender
    -Average
    -Generous

If you're 'generous' you should be allowed write underneath that you eat children.

Same with the drinking questions.
    'Occasionally', 'Socially', 'rarely' dont cut it. Personally, I prefer to tell the receiver that i drink Maltas GNP worth of alcohol in a month.

It's obviously easier for processing and analysing the results to have multiple choice answers but I know what you mean.

I hate loaded polls/surveys:
    Have you stopped beating your wife yet? [] Yes [] No

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

is this question part of a 'purity test'?

Advertisement