Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler pressure gauge problem

Options
  • 18-01-2009 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Over the last week the pressure gauge needle on our gas boiler has started jittering or flicking back and forth by a small amount. the most annoying thing is it makes a rattling noise. Has anybody got any ideas what might be going on? Tried taking the face plate off and adjusting the surround cover in case it moved slightly but this didn't help. Should i just replace it or is there an underlying problem. Boiler is installed just over a year now.

Comments

It could be low water pressure, pump could be defective, boiler sludged or water leak and auto filler kicking in. The gauge will move when you fill it, when the pump kicks in or as the boiler heats up, the pressure should be 1- 1.5 bar cold, if it's a sealed system and mains fed(no tank in the loft), Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

bibibobo wrote: »
    Over the last week the pressure gauge needle on our gas boiler has started jittering or flicking back and forth by a small amount. the most annoying thing is it makes a rattling noise. Has anybody got any ideas what might be going on? Tried taking the face plate off and adjusting the surround cover in case it moved slightly but this didn't help. Should i just replace it or is there an underlying problem. Boiler is installed just over a year now.

I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with the gauge -- it's just reacting to what's going on in the system. Three possible causes I can think of: 1. The system is low on water and needs topping up. 2. The boiler max temperature is set too high and the boiler is creating steam bubbles in the pipe (unlikely but worth a look). 3. The pressure pot (the red feller by the boiler) has no air above the diaphragm. Try pressing down the pin in the top of its Shraeder valve and see if air comes out. If it doesn't, pump it up. If water comes out, the diaphragm has failed and needs to be replaced.

I notice from another post it's a condensing boiler, these tend not to be commissioned properly with a flue analyzer, this can lead to noise and vibration on the boiler maybe bring the service forward and have it checked with a analyzer, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

Hi, thanks for the replies. The solution was to open up some of the upstairs TRV's as I had nearlly all of the upstairs rads turned off as only 1 bedroom is used and needs to be cold otherwise i can't sleep. Effectively I was running the boiler to pump water mainly to the downstairs rads and hotpress boiler. As soon as the TRVs were opened up the needle stopped rattling and steadied down. System pressure is 1bar cold, 1.5bar hot. Its a new condenser boiler on a sealed system with valve to fill via attic hopper tank although i fill using water pressure from a garden hose.
    I wonder why the rattling occurred - could it be due to too high a temperature as indicated in another post?

Advertisement