Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest way to call UK landline from an Irish mobile?

Options
  • 18-01-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hi there,

I make regular calls to my friend in the UK and it's costing me a fortune. I don't have a landline, but she does. Are there any cheap ways of calling her UK Landline from my Irish mobile?

Thanks,
    Trix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Depending on what your mobile plan is 13434.ie or telestunt.ie should be loads cheaper than direct dial. Or if you are with 3, get yourself a skype phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

this works from irish landlines, and i cant see why it wouldnt work from mobiles:

dial 0818 242526
    then dial the full english no
    sometimes a voice will interrupt you and say they cant recognise/reach that no, in which case you just dial the full english no again

it works out v cheap from landlines, about the cost of a local call only.
    i'm nearly sure you can dial 0818 from mobiles, so i presume it would work from tehm too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

sam34 wrote: »
    this works from irish landlines, and i cant see why it wouldnt work from mobiles:

dial 0818 242526
    then dial the full english no
    sometimes a voice will interrupt you and say they cant recognise/reach that no, in which case you just dial the full english no again

it works out v cheap from landlines, about the cost of a local call only.
    i'm nearly sure you can dial 0818 from mobiles, so i presume it would work from tehm too
    some phone service providers charge the local or a lo-call rate for 0818 numbers but others charge depending on where the call is to so if that number is to a uk number that is the rate you will be charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

What operator are you with?

I know voda and o2 charge 15c/min from mobiles to landlines in UK as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

foggy_lad wrote: »
    some phone service providers charge the local or a lo-call rate for 0818 numbers but others charge depending on where the call is to so if that number is to a uk number that is the rate you will be charged.

sorry, my mistake... eircom charge a local rate for this call so i presumed others would too... apologies op

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

On 3 pay monthly you can use half your monthly allowance to call the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Open a blueface account. You then dial a dubblin numbers (should be included in your "free" minutes and then you dial the international number.

UK landlines are 2c / minute

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Not exactly answering your quetion but an alternative...

Send your friend an Irish prepaid SIM of whichever network you are on and some bog standard phone (you can buy a 2nd hand phone for a tenner or so)

You will have free or cheap calls to her Irish number depending on your tariff. It costs her nothing to receive calls in the UK.

She can just keep the Irish mobile at home beside her landline or bring it with her....

You will just need to top up her number with the minimum amount once every 12 months to keep it active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

philcsl wrote: »
    It costs her nothing to receive calls in the UK.

It costs noting for an Irish mobile to receive calls in the UK? Don't think so.

You might be thinking of SMS messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭teachertrixibel

....I'll check out the suggestions.

Trix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

It costs noting for an Irish mobile to receive calls in the UK? Don't think so.

You might be thinking of SMS messages.

I think he means that it costs no connection charge to receive a call on an Irish mobile roaming in the UK - I know that's the case with Vodafone Passport anyway.
    So if the friend in the UK had an Irish mobile set to Vodafone UK network (as if they were roaming) it would, theoretically, be possible to make cheap/free calls between the two, depending on the deal that the OP/friend bought into.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

On 3 pay monthly you can use half your monthly allowance to call the UK.
    This is a great deal... I pay €99 (including vat) for 1000 prepaid minutes. Half of those can be to the uk, landline or mobile. Works out cheaper than my local calls were with my last mobile provider. Dont text to the UK on this package tho.. theyre the usual 25c or so. :)

Advertisement