Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Politics students?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:09am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I hope to be doing Arts in UCD next year, and I am considering doing Politics and History as my two main subjects. I've a pretty good idea what to expect with History, but I'm curious to hear any thoughts and experiences on the Politics course. I've heard it gets quite hard, especially in second year. But I've always had a very big interest in news and current affairs and political goings-on, so I feel I might be well suited to it.

I've read through all the module information at Myucd.ie but would be interested in hearing people's actual experiences with the course. Do you love it/hate it/regret taking it, is it what you expected, etc?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

You'll hate where you wind up.

I'm also thinking of doing history and politics starting in 2010 so I'm interested in any views.

Why will he hate where he winds up? No offense meant here but a little info would be better than a vague one-liner..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You'll hate where you wind up.
    Hehe, you mean an unemployed loser with a politics and history degree, giving armchair political lectures over the dinner table/bar/politics.ie, while secretly wishing he'd done business or economics and gotten a nice job in an office somewhere? Yeah I have considered that. :D

But I think the pros/cons of doing arts has been well covered in here lately. I'm interested in hearing about the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Why will he hate where he winds up? No offense meant here but a little info would be better than a vague one-liner..
    Hehe, you mean...

Boo hiss! Rojomcdojo, I apologise: presumed Sad Professor would get my reference.

If we're talking about love
    Then I have to tell you
    Dear readers, I'm not sure where I'm headed
    I've gotten lost before
    I've woke up stone drunk
    Face down in the floor

Late afternoon, the house is hot
    I started, I jumped up
    Everyone hates a bore
    Everybody hates a drunk

This may be a lit invention
    Professors muddled in their intent
    To try to rope in followers
    To float their malcontent
    As for this reader,
    I'm already spent

I started, I jumped up
    Everyone hates a sad professor
    I hate where I wound up

Dear readers, my apologies
    I'm drifting in and out of sleep
    Long silence presents the tragedies
    Of love. Note the age. Get afraid
    The surface hazy with attendant thoughts
    A lazy eye metaphor on the rocks

I started, I jumped up
    Everyone hates a bore
    Everybody hates a drunk
    I hate where I wound up
    I hate where I wound up

Didn't do the course, but anyone I know who does Politics or Political Science seems to enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I study History and Politics. I've done my second year, but I'm on Erasmus for this year so I haven't started third yet.
    As far as doing Politics goes, I'd definitely recommend it. It's more or less split between theory and political science (up until second year anyway, after that there's more choice). I went into first year with a slight preference for history over politics, but for 2nd and 3rd I'm majoring in Politics, and minoring in History The lecturers are really good (I've only had one or two that were really bad), and I've always found them approachable.

I think there's a perception of Politics as an easy 'third subject' - ie, people have two subjects they want to do, then just pick a third - in first year, so I believe there's a fail rate of around 55%. That said, if you've an interest in what you're studying, you go to (most of) the lectures, and do a bit of study around the exams, you'll be grand. I wouldn't call it an easy subject, but it's definitely not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Boo hiss! Rojomcdojo, I apologise: presumed Sad Professor would get my reference.
    Ah yes, but I actually hate that song and was possibly drunk when I chose it as my username. :D

If we're talking about love
    Then I have to tell you
    Dear readers, I'm not sure where I'm headed
    I've gotten lost before
    I've woke up stone drunk
    Face down in the floor

I started, I jumped up
    Everyone hates a bore
    Everybody hates a drunk

This may be a lit invention
    Professors muddled in their intent
    To try to rope in followers
    To float their malcontent
    As for this reader,
    I'm already spent

I started, I jumped up
    I hate where I wound up

Dear readers, my apologies
    I'm drifting in and out of sleep
    Long silence presents the tragedies
    Of love. Note the age. Get afraid
    The surface hazy with attendant thoughts
    A lazy eye metaphor on the rocks

I started, I jumped up
    Everyone hates a bore
    Everybody hates a drunk
    I hate where I wound up
    I hate where I wound up

Didn't do the course, but anyone I know who does Politics or Political Science seems to enjoy it.

Swoosh - straight over my head :o

Advertisement