Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil on timing belt?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi there sorry about this but very worried. Would an oil leak get onto a timing belt thru a timing belt cover? If so would i still get a few thousand miles out the belt? Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

sammy657 wrote: »
    Hi there sorry about this but very worried. Would an oil leak get onto a timing belt thru a timing belt cover? If so would i still get a few thousand miles out the belt? Many thanks

NO!!! You need to get over this oil leak OP! If you can't get over this, then you will give yourself an ulcer when you do eventully have a real problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

My bad sorry mate. Is that what the cover is there for then?

It's there to keep the area sealed off. Oil will not get in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'd imagine it's to keep the timing belt some what protected. Stop you sticking you finger in it.

Also it's there to create great suspense when your checking if it's snapped or not:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if your engine is of a interfering type which most older engines are then it will be totally mangled if the belt goes

not sure if timing belts are affected by oil , but probably and slippage would probably trash the engine

• Advertisement

Ah so nothing will get in there water or oil if the cover is on? Are they hard to get off for a garage to check?

Ah so nothing will get in there water or oil if the cover is on? Are they hard to get off for a garage to check?

No & no.

So when people get water plus oil or either on a belt its when they are putting the belt on and do it by mistake? Are the symptoms squeaking sounds?

I give up.

Ahhhhhhhhh sorry sorry just you know when ya get a new car ya want it perfect and everything and everything to be ok cant help it sorry mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

i have a leaky TU1 engine and it keeps getting onto the auxiliary belt which keeps snapping on me, the only thing that stops the timing belt from snapping is the cover. the TB i would imagine would snap in a matter of miles not worth it.

i dont mind the aux belt tho cos its a cheap fix and i can do it now in less than 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Ahhhhhhhhh sorry sorry just you know when ya get a new car ya want it perfect and everything and everything to be ok cant help it sorry mate
    Seriously, listen to darragh he's a quailified mechanic. Don't be paranoid other wise you'll never enjoy the car. I never saw oil get into one before and it gets me thinking what would it actually do becasue a timing belt won't slip as it has teeth/groves on it unlike the fan belt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I give up.
    Boards can do that to you! I remember the first time I gave up a few years ago. Its common enough for me nowadays on here! :D

kbannon wrote: »
    Boards can do that to you! I remember the first time I gave up a few years ago. Its common enough for me nowadays on here! :D

I'm already dreading the day this car actually starts acting up...

Advertisement