Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever seen Monty Python's Parrot sketch?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Well, if you haven't here it is:

The Parrot Sketch.

Good, isn't it? Yes. Anyway, what has this got to do with the GAA you may ask? Indeed you might, and so might I, but for the fact that I already know the answer to that question. Well, early in that sketch there is a line which is "I wish to register a complaint!" John Cleese said it, and so am I, although in my case it has nothing to do with dead parrots. I know there are probably dead parrots that would have more of an impact on a GAA pitch than some players, but that is beside the point.

Well, it has come to my attention, and not just me, that a moderator has been altering posts around here. Nothing wrong with that you'll say. Indeed, when they are removing something offensive or inflamatory, but not when they are going in and adding things to posts, that the original poster did not say, in an effort to change the meaning of that post and switch its whole direction, when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the post in the first instance. This is an abuse of power. Like going into a pet shop and paying for a live parrot only to be given a dead one, it is not what you expect to get when you come here.

If you come in here and cannot see this thread, or it says something I didn't say, it will be further evidence of such abuse of power. Even if it is deleted, by said moderator or others, those of us who know, will still know. So people of the non-moderator contingent, read your posts, and then read them again later, and see if they have changed, and do the same with the posts of others.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Don't worry, I will. Just testing the waters here first to see what happens before taking that step. It is a sporting forum, so you have to give people a fair chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

The only case I've seen it happen was Mullet's last post in the lovefest thread.

Has it been happening more than once Flukey?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Moved to feedback, I think that it is more appropriate here, if not mods feel free to move again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,435 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Very rarely happens, unless someone does something that might get Boards sued or links to a *cough* streaming site *cough* and even then it says "last editied by (Mod's name)" so it's not like it's being done in secret.

That or it's the Spanish Inquisition. But no one ever expects them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

From time to time I edit posts, but only to remove abuse or some dodgy content

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Terry edited my post when he was losing a lively debate once. But meh. The sake of humour.

Links or it didnt happen. Where are these posts?

I was surprised to see the edit made by said moderator though (are we allowed to name?) He's usually pretty level headed and a good poster.

That said, while it may have been light hearted banter, I wouldn't agree with what he did.

did you try reporting the post or PM'ing the moderator another moderator of the forum, or, the relevant CMod?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    even then it says "last editied by (Mod's name)" so it's not like it's being done in secret.

AFAIK mods can stealth edit a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

orly.jpeg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I was expecting so much more from this thread.

Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

are you drunk Flukey?

deise59 wrote: »

I can see his point. Not steath editing, though. Need a firm answer on that one, thanks.

Last edited by blackbelt; 12-01-2009 at 23:32. Reason: :)

Seems pretty clear to me.

Its not as if a mod went and edited your post to incriminate then ban you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

javaboy wrote: »
    AFAIK mods can stealth edit a post.

It still has to be within the minute (if it is a minute can't remember) for the edit not to show I believe.

In all fairness though Overheal, did you read what he edited it to?
    Flukey Blackbelt and Tir Eoghan are having a lovefest in Kittys as we speak. I left them an hour ago as I couldn't handle my drink and it was to much for me...sick all over the floor and crying children.Not a pretty sight.

It got worse for all concerned when my bingo numbers didn't come out.

Joking or otherwise, I'd be pretty annoyed if a mod did that to my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Joking or otherwise, I'd be pretty annoyed if a mod did that to my post.

I think the edit was a joke.

I also think that the op knows this, and is in fact creating the thread as a retort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It still has to be within the minute (if it is a minute can't remember) for the edit not to show I believe.
    It's configurable but 1 minute is the default setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I was afraid to speak out until now but a mod also edited my post and deleted others to make me look ghey. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58577001

He's had a vendetta against me ever since I voted for someone else for mod of the year. I've kept this bottled up inside for too long. It has to stop.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think we need blackbelt's input here. I remember reading the original unedited post but can't really recall the exact wording. They were in the pub alright and somebody left early so it may be an attempt at humour that has backfired.

I was just thinking that: what did it say BEFORE it was edited?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I was just thinking that: what did it say BEFORE it was edited?
    Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can remember. Mullet just said they were all in the pub and he/she left early. :confused: The GAA guys and gals meet regularly in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

I read the original post by Mullet, Iirc the first line
    Flukey Blackbelt and Tir Eoghan are having a lovefest in Kittys as we speak.
    was originally written by Mullet. The rest of it has been edited by Blackbelt as a joke I'd imagine as a retort to Mullet saying that Flukey, Blackbelt and Tir Eoghan were still in Kittys having a lovefest.

I always new GAA wasnt an acronym

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The only case I've seen it happen was Mullet's last post in the lovefest thread.

Has it been happening more than once Flukey?
    I was surprised to see the edit made by said moderator though (are we allowed to name?) He's usually pretty level headed and a good poster.

That said, while it may have been light hearted banter, I wouldn't agree with what he did.
    smashey wrote: »
    I think we need blackbelt's input here. I remember reading the original unedited post but can't really recall the exact wording. They were in the pub alright and somebody left early so it may be an attempt at humour that has backfired.
    smashey wrote: »
    Nothing out of the ordinary as far as I can remember. Mullet just said they were all in the pub and he/she left early. :confused: The GAA guys and gals meet regularly in Dublin.
    lorweld wrote: »
    I read the original post by Mullet, Iirc the first line was originally written by Mullet. The rest of it has been edited by Blackbelt as a joke I'd imagine as a retort to Mullet saying that Flukey, Blackbelt and Tir Eoghan were still in Kittys having a lovefest.

Can't believe somebody didn't get this in first.

Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

No, No! He's resting!

'He's kicked the bucket, 'he's shuffled off hiss mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!

THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

I wish to complain, British-Railways Person.

I DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS JOB, YOU KNOW!!!

I beg your pardon...?

I'm a qualified brain surgeon! I only do this job because I like being my own boss!

Excuse me, this is irrelevant, isn't it?

Yeah, well it's not easy to pad these python files out to 200 lines, you know.

I'm not prepared to pursue my line of inquiry any longer as I think this is getting too silly!

Quite agree, quite agree, too silly, far too silly...

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

thats what the edit log is for guys.

accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

IS this really a serious complaint ? Is there serious concern about the Modding of GAA ?

Have mods been going around editing lots of posts and changing their content for no reason. ? Or is this just one incident on a thread ( which strangely enough is about the camaraderie and craic us regular GAA posters have ) ... Is this not an example of afore said craic between regular posters ?

Unless there is a list of posts where users and threads are being manipulated by mods for no good reason then Im afraid someone just didn't get the Joke ( which is totally in context IMO) .. Providing this is actually a serious complaint and I have just missed larger the joke (much like Monthy Python's sketches..no ) ?

Teacup: Hi Storm
    Storm: Hi Teacup.. mind if I jump in there.
    Teacup: sure !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement