Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gore tex

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DICEMAN7

ritchie what you rek sas smock or h20 for weatherproof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

if it says its got taped seems etc and the inside of the jacket is silver i dont see why it aint gore....
    Also gore tex wouldnt be your best bet as once it gets mucky itle block up the membrane's in the jacket and ule get wet with sweat

Goretex pulls moisture out of your body keeping you dry but because air soft is so mucky etc the jacket would clog up wth mud which would mean it would'nt do its job properly.....
    therer not really desighned to keep you warm... eather :(...
    Its just a shell so a baslayer and a micro fleace would be needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I use goretex gear playing golf, keeps me bone dry, then again im not turfing myself around.

Expensive stuff, atleast in golf, looking at 300-400 euro for a set :O

I believe airsoft stuff can be picked up for dirt cheap.

I'd be weary of goretex copies though, they are in high circulation.

Real goretex, costs roughly

€100 + for jacket
    €100 + for trousers.

Thats what I'd imagine it would be anyway, comparing the golf prices for the real stuff.

If its cheaper ill wear camo goretex out golfing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

the vapour permiable membrain kit ("gor-tex" is only one brand, and that is all it is. the other brands all have plusses and minuses) is really good kit. it is very applicable to airsoft. the stuff is issued to most forces operating in wet climates. and if its good enough for proper soldiers, then you can bet it is built way tougher than any airsofty. i have a LOT of experiance with the french vpm kit. it is a very heavy grade fabric, so doesn't rip easy, and it doesn't rustle too badly. i have been using the french stuff for my bivy bag (which i have clocked probably 100+ nights sleeping in) and the matching jacket for over 5 years. a mate has similar kit from US army. its branded gore-tex. also good stuff. the dutch stuff is good, as is the british stuff.
    regards dirt clogging up your kit; it doesn't work like that. the biggest cause of kit not breathing right is dirt on the inside. i.e. your sweat and skin particles etc. also a major factor is what eles you are wearing. a good combo would be; full thermals, combat pants, a norgi, then your breathable kit over.
    now, on to buying. if you buy stuff marketed at airsofters and paintballers, the kit will probably have poor build quality and not work well. if you want the functional quality, buy genuine surplus. and buy from a proper surplus store, not one of these "mega-tactical-super-soldier-opps" shops. a good surplus store really knows their kit, and will test before selling. going this route you will have no problem finding trousers, jacket and gaiters in dpm for under 50-80 notes. most common ones you will find are british and dutch. both similar patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

regards dirt clogging up your kit; it doesn't work like that. the biggest cause of kit not breathing right is dirt on the inside. i.e. your sweat and skin particles etc. also a major factor is what eles you are wearing. a good combo would be; full thermals, combat pants, a norgi, then your breathable kit over.

I dissagree, dirt will affect breathability it glogs up the mabrane on the out side which leads to the jacket giving the apprence that its leeking which is actuly the person sweat collecting on the insde of the jacket also when gore tex wet's through completely ule get the same affect of it leeking...
    Id agree gore is robust tho fantastic stuff when in working ordere tho :)..

Advertisement