Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Oppertunities in Paris?

• 19-01-2009 2:04am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hit me with some places people, been there a few trimes, never with camera, going now and intend to go to town on the phototaking, film and digi will be taken with a bag of memory and a sack of film...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Eeeeeeeeeeverywhere.

Some of my own:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fajitasgtr/sets/72157594436005421/

2006... feic. Time flew.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I could be on my own here I love, love, love paris but find it a rather cold place for snaps. I've had best results around Montemart (it's also the best place for meeting Parisians at play.

Keep an eye on your equipment though. It's such a safe city but they do have quick hands. This time last year I had my Yashica and Carl Ziess lenses nicked from under my nose. It's safe, just a little caution though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dont i know it, most european cities are pickpocketing death traps. gonna maybe borrow a safer bag than my own to keep things safe.

Nice shots all, jeez nearly 3 years ago... just a baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Eiffel Tower.

:p

With regards to pickpockets I had a dodgy time at the 2006 Champions league final,,,not that I got to the ground, watched it in a bar and crashed out in a doorway, I woke around 4am and found some north african going thru my right hand combat pockets.....b4 I let out a roar and he legged it, luckily all my dosh and Passport where in my left sided pockets. :)
    I then got a taxi to CDG airport and proceeded to get lost in it for 2 hours b4 I left back for Paris CC again.
    I won't tell you about losing my glasses and walking into an opticians plate glass door.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Eiffel Tower.

:p

<slaps animalrights>

no...NO BAD ANIMALRIGHTS... awww dont give me those puppy dog eyes :p

yeah maybe wanna see passed the cliched...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

You can call me Janer, I'm prob easier to slap with a real name.

You can call me Janer, I'm prob easier to slap with a real name.

I'd tell you my real name... but you humans cant pronouce it...

Really? I find 'yebigfeicingeejit' quite easy to pronounce around you...

Tom?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

The Metro stations have cool light in them, and some of them have the urban decay thing down to a t. Some good shots to be had of the big long electronic walkway thingeys in some of the bigger ones too. Depends when you're going though - in summer they're about a zillion degrees.

Chinatown? Cheap and nasty shots aplenty. Or the markets on the way up to Sacre Coeur. I liked the gay quarter too - Le Marais I think its called?

I got some deadly personal shots in the louvre, where photography is strictly prohibited yet there are thousands of tourists snapping away at the ancient papyrus scrolls with flashes blazing (not to mention mauling the hell out of the sarcophagi. Jesus - you'd think it was an attraction in Eurodisney) </rant>

If you like to take shots of toilets with ****e smeared all over them you're away :)

Bit cliched, but Per Lachaise was heaven for me.

I dare you to try to get a decent shot of the eiffel tower :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Loads of places to look at in Paris.

Monmartre is nice but you're probably better off avoiding Tetre square (Place du Tetre) and wandering down towards Pigalle. Pigalle itself is a bit seedy though.

Take a walk from The Arc De Triomphe down along the Champs d'Elysee and right down to the Louvre, then along the Seine towards Notre Dame & you'll see a lot of things worth snapping.

The Eiffel Tower is geat for views, but if you head up to the top of the Montparnasse tower you'll get a great view of the Eiffel Tower with the added advantage of not being able to see the Montparnasse tower because you're on top of it ;)

Check out the Catacombs (lined with human bones!) and Pere Lachaise as already mentioned. And the Pompidou Centre, even if just from the outside.

Paris is fairly safe, take the usual precautions with your equipment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Go where the Parisians go:

http://www.paris.org/ss/samaritaine/

Trocadero has lovely fountains and vistas. A search on Flickr including that name will give some great links and also, if you look at the groups any photo of Paris has been sent to, you will get plenty of new ideas.

I like photographing shop displays, as they are so inventive.

Also the Canal Saint Martin has a genuine old Paris look.

The Citroen gardens are a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ooo the cool Citroen car in their shop on the Champs Elysee...

I remember the tearooms in the 'Sixties where the seating was in the style of old cars and you stepped up into your place.

The Citroen Gardens are near some vast public housing schemes, which are worth recording, as they are the green spaces for the people living in tight apartement spaces.

Don't forget to investigate the gardens thoroughly.
    There is a steep area with water rills that play different musical sounds, thanks to the placing or resonant pieces of wood at different angles and positions along the water course.

http://www.gardenvisit.com/garden/parc_andre_citroen_paris

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Eeeeeeeeeeverywhere.

Some of my own:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fajitasgtr/sets/72157594436005421/

2006... feic. Time flew.

Very nice light.

This person pulled out all the stops:

http://flickr.com/photos/greenozzy/page4/

The Marmottan, which houses a beautiful collection of Monet's work is very worth seeing. Lovely architecture and the house visit is relaxing, with pretty views onto a fine garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

How much time have you got?

I'd go with Versailles if you've time to go out there, Pont Alexandre III

upside down Pyramid at the Louvre,

Agree on Tour Montparnasse. Also lots of nice gardeny and archicturally things in the general neighbourhood of the Eiffel tower.

A lot of the Rail way stations are kinda interesting too, as are quite a few of the Metro stations. I liked the Marais but for walking around less than taking photographs.

The fountains near Centre Pompidou.

In Paris you're generally tripping over nice things to photograph. Hard to pick them out.

One word though - Samaritaine is currently closed and has been for quite a while. It requires renovation work to bring it inline with current safety standards.

The Renault cafe on the Champs Elysees is nice, plus they have a museum attached. I liked that. I also liked the Mercedes showrooms for awhile, and I think there's a Peugeot one too.

Also, camera equipment wise, there's some street that has a load of shops and in your case, you'll be happy to know they sell a lot of Nikon equipment. I'll have to dig out directions for you if you are interested.

A great list, Calina. Thanks for sharing.

In fact, the tearooms I remember were Renault.

http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/France_Paris_Renault.htm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The hotel de invalides would be one that i'd recommend.

Calina wrote: »
    How much time have you got?

Also, camera equipment wise, there's some street that has a load of shops and in your case, you'll be happy to know they sell a lot of Nikon equipment. I'll have to dig out directions for you if you are interested.

bout 3 full days, tho the lady wishes to go to eurodisney so thats one gone. great list calina and others thanks, will examine them along with google maps to see whats realistic to do in time, how much are they charging for up the tower these days, havent been to paris in bout 5 years and it was steep then. the shops name even would be lovely calina.

@ Fajitas!, personal abuse is not tolerated on boards.ie :p. full apology NOW B1atch

NOW B1atch

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

peter1892 wrote: »
    Loads of places to look at in Paris.

Take a walk from The Arc De Triomphe down along the Champs d'Elysee and right down to the Louvre, then along the Seine towards Notre Dame & you'll see a lot of things worth snapping.

And when you've finished at the Place de la Concord, go into the Tuilleries Gardens where there's nicely sculptured plants worth snapping. Also don't forget to pack the flash and go to Les Invalides to see Napoleon's tomb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Dont forget the cemetary where all those notables were buried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're probably referring to the graveyard where Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison (The Doors) are buried.

Here's a link to Oscar Wilde, I'm fairly sure Jim Morrison is buried in the same cemetery though by all accounts Morrisson's grave is a permanent mess because of graffiti.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercuryvapour/2696971062/

had a proper gander bout on flickr of places reccommended so far. Metros are a definite as is Pigalle... after looking on flicr...not much else seems to float my boat, architecture isnt my thing... looks like the diana and fisheye may get a run for their money over there moreso than the slr...

Humm with the influx of what to shoot in cities thread, how bout a merge and a sticky in photo expeditions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

coylemj wrote: »
    You're probably referring to the graveyard where Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison (The Doors) are buried.

Here's a link to Oscar Wilde, I'm fairly sure Jim Morrison is buried in the same cemetery though by all accounts Morrisson's grave is a permanent mess because of graffiti.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercuryvapour/2696971062/

yeah thats it! forget its name but supposed to be a great place for photographs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Good timing with this thread, I'm heading over there Thursday for a few days, loads of info to consider here, thanks to all who posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

i got some nice shots in jardin du luxembourg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Anouilh wrote: »
    Go where the Parisians go:

http://www.paris.org/ss/samaritaine/

Samaritaine has been closed for a few years due to structural issues AFAIK

Eiffel Tower
    2147720746_96229fb502.jpg

Louvre
    2587864831_550ef10296_m.jpg

More Paris here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorywilliams/sets/72157602300988092/

No matter where you go there is loads to photo in Paris

Check out Flickr and the tag Paris and see photos and potential photo opportunities and ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Don't mean to hijack this thread but going will be visiting soon myself and was wondering what lenses people recommend to take. I'm figuring a 17-40 f4 and then one of 28-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 and 10-20 f4-5.6. Still a newbie so not sure which would be best so any suggestions welcome

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I was only there for a few days myself but the place is a wealth of material for a photographer, i only brought a compact with me regrettably but i got some nice shots.

be wary of all those people who are selling souvigners, show any interest and you'll get ambushed by them. When i was there I witnessed a gang of cops chasing about 30 of them down the river bank., :D

Theres always the typical sights that have been done to death but if you haven't seen them yourself then by all means, be sure to go and get some shots.

Some of the train stations are very interesting and in particular, the graffiti around them. I also liked having a wander around this huge department store called "La Fayette" or something similar. the ceiling's in there are cool,.
    this was in the centre of the shop,
    3186448266_36ff532906.jpg

I actually found the lourve to be a bit over rated, especially with photography in mind, it was more interesting on the outside with the pyramids and arches etc.

Head up the eiffel tower in the day time for a good view of the city and the river, you can go halfway or all the way to the top. At the top its a bit too high up to get anything interesting though.

Actually, to some of the other guys that have been there recently, Has the eiffel tower always been purpley/blue at night? Ive never seen it like that in pics and wasn't expecting what i saw.,

Calina wrote: »

Boulevard de Beaumarchais
    http://www.photographe-professionnel.fr/boulevard-photo-paris.html

The thought that the Louvre is over-rated takes some effort to digest.

The treasures stored there represent what Europeans have considered storing safely after centuries, despite war, famine and the lack of generosity of some collectors who would happily keep works of art under lock and key rather than share with an interested, if impecunious, public.

The French school paintings in the Louvre are among some of my favourites. We used discuss the fashions of the 16th Century and the way, at one time, it was the practice for ladies to pluck their eyelashes.

This thread led me to think about quick ways to find information when preparing to visit a new place:

http://shortsights.blogspot.com/2009/01/basic-primer.html#links

Tripod,,, should I bother...it'll alot to bring but would it be worth it?

I wouldn't bother.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother.

yeah gay ryanair have really clamped down on luggage, its working out to be toss ups between underwear and lens in my bag its so tight

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I always looking at holga shots of stuff in paris, everyone's seen the cliche pics of the eiffel tower and sacre coeur 1000+ times but I think holga shots of all that stuff put a different edge on it. Do a flickr search for 'paris holga' or something, there's tonnes of ideas. (It might even be good for disneyland!)

The louvre at night, or indeed anything at night is also worthwhile, plus long exposures of all the crazy scooters, and the sparkly lights on the eiffel at night.

Was reading the hbw thread, I dunno if you can take pictures inside Sacre
    Coeur, but a fun idea would be to make a lens cover with a cross shape and take some shots with the candles (and there are plenty of candles in there!).

As mentioned already, metro stations and pere lachaise are full of opportunities, and plus there's plenty of crazy little cafes and shops to photograph. Have fun!

Advertisement