Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calling all car owners in ul

• 19-01-2009 3:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

hey everyone, just a heads up watch your cars. there have been sooo many robberies this semester as im sure your all well aware!

take every precaution you can, get a steering lock etc and make sure it is safe. pity about this is i gotta dish out 300 quid for an alarm system for my car, im not too happy bout that:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

garyegt wrote: »
    hey everyone, just a heads up watch your cars. there have been sooo many robberies this semester as im sure your all well aware!

take every precaution you can, get a steering lock etc and make sure it is safe. pity about this is i gotta dish out 300 quid for an alarm system for my car, im not too happy bout that:(
    yeah unfortunatly this warning is too late for me my car was stolen in november, so was my friends in brookfield and a guy i know had his broken into...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

My ****in bike was stolen outside de shrodinger

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

My ****in bike was stolen outside de shrodinger

It might still be there!

/ends science joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bike theft has been big in UL for a long time. I know someone who had five bikes stolen from her in a year. The sixth one wasn't nicked, though at that point she'd bought the kid of bike that no-one would really want to steal.

I'm not too sure of the location of the CCTV cameras but I do know that security have said that they cover pretty much all of the campus. I'd assume that they now cover the car parks and bike places (I'm sure there's a proper word for those). Trouble is that even the average thief knows to cover their face and avoid the cameras.

As with all things, there's only so much you can do. Security, especially in houses has been highlighted but unless you keep all your stuff in a bank safe (and even that's no guarantee) you can't keep these guys out. Just do the best you can. With regard to car thieves, a good wheel lock will act as a deterrent, if for no reason other than that the next car doesn't have one. Keeping your stuff out of view in a parked car helps - stuff in clear view is a temptation for passing thieves. Apart from that, sometimes houses and cars are broken into almost at random, these guys will take any opportunity that presents itself at times. Car breakins sometimes just happen, just like house breakins (as I've mentioned more than once, my place was broken into for the second time the other night, despite living three floors off the ground, which I've always hoped gives me a little more leeway from burglars and rats).

I think something better could be done with the bike zones, though I'm not sure precisely what - there are far too many bike thefts going on. Obviously buy a decent lock, again thieves are as likely to go for the easy theft of the next bike with no lock or an easily breakable one. Extra cameras in these zones might help, UL aren't going to spend any more money on security.

All locks really do is delay thieves. Regardless of what you have or where it is, if they really want to they'll get in and take it. In my case, they got through a front door and then an inside door before going for the shop below, changing their minds when they saw their little camera and making a go at the flats overhead. The fact that I've nothing really worth stealing is neither here nor there, it's obviously disappointing and/or upsetting to see your stuff all over the place or a broken car window.

Having said that, I discovered a short cosh made from a tableleg left by the thieves on the stairs of where I live, it's worse if you're at home and these guys use something like that on your head. It's small consolation but things you own are just that, things you own. Protect it the best way you can, whether that's a car, stuff in a car or stuff in your house but not getting whacked for it is worth a bit more.

Anyway, long winded rant. Yes, buy a steering lock. A big obvious yellow one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭garyegt

have to say tho security are looking out for this, i was driving around cappa carpark last night (my new car looks like it could be dodge) and leaving, he just took my lisence plate down ha ha! so i stopped and showed him my ID ;)

but come on what knackers are gonna be stopped by an older retired fella in a reflector vest???

• Advertisement
Advertisement