Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl 43: Steelers -vs- Cardinals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 GARRETT.K

davyjose wrote: »
    Which part of it? That the Giants weren't the best team in the first half of the season, or that they weren't the best team when they won the SB.

It's not nonsense to say either of those things.

The point is that yes they were the best team in the superbowl game and maybe the play offs but over the 19 game season the Patriots were clearly the best team in the league any body will tell you that.I dont know why you are bring the first half of the season into it( the titans were the best in the first half by the way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What a 4th quarter, so unlucky for the Cards. Congrats to the Steelers.

Hopefully my bears can get there next season....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Which part of it? That the Giants weren't the best team in the first half of the season, or that they weren't the best team when they won the SB.

It's not nonsense to say either of those things.

The Giants weren't the best team in the first half of the season. They were the better team IN the Superbowl alright, but nowhere near the best team overall in the season taking into account every performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Karlusss wrote: »
    Parse it this way:

2007 New England Patriots were the best team ever, in the Regular Season.

New York Giants were the best team in the NFL, when they won the Super Bowl. It's definitely not nonsense to say that. In fact, it doesn't make sense any other way.

I could even understand the argument if they didn't carry it through to the next season, but they did. And they were the best team for months.

Archimedes wrote: »
    The Giants weren't the best team in the first half of the season. They were the better team IN the Superbowl alright, but nowhere near the best team in the overall season.

This season? They were for me Archimedes.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. After the SB win, they continued to be the best team throughout much of 2008.

• Advertisement

I could even understand the argument if they didn't carry it through to the next season, but they did. And they were the best team for months.

TENNESEE TITANS

Perhaps you misunderstood me. After the SB win, they continued to be the best team throughout much of 2008.

My bad, I thought you meant last season. :o

I would still argue that the Titans were more impressive, but because most people were expecting them to lose sooner rather than later, that the Giants may be unfairly credited with being the better team for the first half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

When people moan that the winner of the Super Bowl isn't the best team, they miss out on a crucial point:

The teams KNOW they're playing for playoff position in the regular season. It's not like if it was a playoff added to the end of the Premiership. Teams play to win the Super Bowl. It's possible to be 8-8 and still win the Super Bowl for the reason that you intentionally forfeited half your games to keep your players fresh if you like. Super Bowl winner = best team.

Even the 07 Patriots would admit that, because if they had won, they'd claim it.

WHY ARE YOU BRINGING THIS SEASON INTO IT?THE ARGUMENT WAS OVER THE BEST TEAM LAST SEASON.I THINK ITS TIME FOR BED!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

• Advertisement

GARRETT.K wrote: »
    the titans were the best in the first half by the way)
    That's a matter of opinion, the Titans weren't the real deal for me.

I'm bringing the 1st half of this season into it, because a lot of people felt the Giants were lucky, and had 1 good result. They weren't, they were a damn good team as shown by their displays this season (without their 2 best defensive players)

Karlusss wrote: »
    When people moan that the winner of the Super Bowl isn't the best team, they miss out on a crucial point:

The teams KNOW they're playing for playoff position in the regular season. It's not like if it was a playoff added to the end of the Premiership. Teams play to win the Super Bowl. It's possible to be 8-8 and still win the Super Bowl for the reason that you intentionally forfeited half your games to keep your players fresh if you like. Super Bowl winner = best team.

Even the 07 Patriots would admit that, because if they had won, they'd claim it.
    SORRY DID YOU JUST SAY TEAMS WILL INTENTIONALLY FORFEIT HALF THEIR GAMES TO KEEP PLAYERS FRESH?

I think thats unfair. The Titans were turning teams over left, right and centre, but just because they are the Titans and no one expected them to do so shouldnt not belittle the fact that they were brilliant for the first half of the season. Im not saying the Giants weren't - they were, but I think Titans were better.

SORRY DID YOU JUST SAY TEAMS WILL INTENTIONALLY FORFEIT HALF THEIR GAMES TO KEEP PLAYERS FRESH?

Dude, please stop typing in Caps. Its against the rules.

WHY ARE YOU BRINGING THIS SEASON INTO IT?THE ARGUMENT WAS OVER THE BEST TEAM LAST SEASON.I THINK ITS TIME FOR BED!!

On the first weekend of february 2008, the Giants were the best team in the NFL. Ergo, the best team won it. Goodnight;)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

yeah, but by giving the trophy to the owner, the NFL are overestimating it.

You could argue that in soccer giving it to a player is stupid, and it should go the coach. Who would you give it to in the nfl? I'd agree with the coach getting it, but I dont think a player should be given it. Maybe the offensive and defsensive captains should get it together?

I'm bringing the 1st half of this season into it, because a lot of people felt the Giants were lucky, and had 1 good result. They weren't, they were a damn good team as shown by their displays this season (without their 2 best defensive players)
    Woah I never said the Giants were not a good team.They are an excellent team but im just not sure how this argument escalated! I thought it was accepted that last years Patriots were the one of the best ever!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Relax with the never-ending debate re who's the best team.

The bottom line is, that the Patriots 16-game winning season will be a footnote to the 2007/8 season, with the headline being that the Giants won the Superbowl. Being unbeaten is all well and good, but at the end of the day, titles are what the records show.

That's why there is a title at the end of a playoff system, and not an award handed out for the best winning record over the course of the season.

Anyone know who was officially MVP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

juvenal wrote: »
    Relax with the never-ending debate re who's the best team.

The bottom line is, that the Patriots 16-game winning season will be a footnote to the 2007/8 season, with the headline being that the Giants won the Superbowl. Being unbeaten is all well and good, but at the end of the day, titles are what the records show.

That's why there is a title at the end of a playoff system, and not an award handed out for the best winning record over the course of the season.

Anyone know who was officially MVP?

Santonio Homes

Holmes

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote: »
    I think thats unfair. The Titans were turning teams over left, right and centre, but just because they are the Titans and no one expected them to do so shouldnt not belittle the fact that they were brilliant for the first half of the season. Im not saying the Giants weren't - they were, but I think Titans were better.

Maybe so, it's a 50/50 thing. I'm just trying to make the point that the Giants weren't a 1 hit wonder. I think I broke someones Caps lock key though :D

On the first weekend of february 2008, the Giants were the best team in the NFL. Ergo, the best team won it. Goodnight;)

:rolleyes:

Good man yourself.very simple view of the NFL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Stealer's Antonio Holmes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

whos the best i dont give a ****, i thought this thread was about tonights game, which was awesome, so many twists, goodnight

Maybe so, it's a 50/50 thing. I'm just trying to make the point that the Giants weren't a 1 hit wonder. I think I broke someones Caps lock key though :D

Sorry i get a bit passionate sometimes!No hard feelings guys.I just feel if that was any other team that went 16-0 we would not be having this argument.

Woah I never said the Giants were not a good team.They are an excellent team but im just not sure how this argument escalated! I thought it was accepted that last years Patriots were the one of the best ever!!

They were, but not for the entire season.

Good man yourself.very simple view of the NFL

But when I tried to back it up by pointing out how good the Giants continued to be THIS season, you nearly lost it.

Ok, I've said enough on this. Great game tonight. But I'm gutted for the Cards.

Night all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

pithater1 wrote: »
    Santonio Homes

Thought so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Change the fooking record all fooking ready. Im a Pats and we were beaten by a better team on the Day of the Superbowl last year the fooking end. Seriously the next person who defends the Patriots by saying we were this we were that...Yeah im die hard pats and we were amazing but we choked simple as. Wow that was hard to say. Fair play to the Giants as hard as it to say it but they beat us. Now change the record its getting old all ready. Lets just look forward to next year whats done is done.

Tom Brady is going to be ok for 2009 is all you should worry about now. Sorry Rant over.

• Advertisement

Tallaght outlaw-That was last night mate.Argument over.I agree with everything you just said.Its amazing I made one comment about last year and this happend!

Advertisement