Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraser Island and Whitsundays

Options
  • 19-01-2009 4:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone know where to get the best deals on organising trips to Fraser and Whitsundays. I'm looking to do a 1 day self-drive in Fraser and a 3 day/2night sail around Whitsundays and the Great Barrier Reef. Any help would be greatly appreciated as would any advice or tips!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

cupthehand wrote: »
    Hi, anyone know where to get the best deals on organising trips to Fraser and Whitsundays. I'm looking to do a 1 day self-drive in Fraser and a 3 day/2night sail around Whitsundays and the Great Barrier Reef. Any help would be greatly appreciated as would any advice or tips!

We found Perterpans had the best deal but no idea what it would be like now.

Just one thing though. Fraser in one day? I think you should extend this as there is only a limited amount of time you are able/supposed to drive along the beaches which would make it hard to see the different spots around Fraser in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Galwaaygirl

AFAIK you can only do a 3 day self drive or a one day guided tour to Fraser island. You need the 3 days anyway, you'll just barely get to see it in that time!
    Book the whitsundays and fraser together as you will get a better deal. To be honest, unless you are really tight for time you dont need to even think about booking until you get there. The further up the coast you travel, the more you will get asked if you have booked fraser yet
    The only advice I can think of is not to go from Rainbow Beach. Although the ferry crossing is shorter (I hate boats), very few ppl go from there and you will find a more diverse and much larger group of ppl to spend 3 days on an island with if you go from Hervey Bay. Learned this the hard way I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

wickedtravel do cheap deals too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

AFAIK you can only do a 3 day self drive or a one day guided tour to Fraser island. You need the 3 days anyway, you'll just barely get to see it in that time!
    Book the whitsundays and fraser together as you will get a better deal. To be honest, unless you are really tight for time you dont need to even think about booking until you get there. The further up the coast you travel, the more you will get asked if you have booked fraser yet
    The only advice I can think of is not to go from Rainbow Beach. Although the ferry crossing is shorter (I hate boats), very few ppl go from there and you will find a more diverse and much larger group of ppl to spend 3 days on an island with if you go from Hervey Bay. Learned this the hard way I'm afraid!

Thanks for the info but actually have to stick to a REALLY tight schedule due to work commitments here in Sydney :(

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

cupthehand wrote: »
    ...I'm looking to do a 1 day self-drive in Fraser...
    Unless you are a really excellent driver and understand sand driving I wouldn't recommend self-drive on Fraser. The tracks can be very difficult and water on beach makes that a bit tricky too. The organised tours IMHO are very good and worth the money... cheap they ain't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

H2G2 wrote: »
    Unless you are a really excellent driver and understand sand driving I wouldn't recommend self-drive on Fraser. The tracks can be very difficult and water on beach makes that a bit tricky too. The organised tours IMHO are very good and worth the money... cheap they ain't!

Meh I drove for the first time ever on Fraser Island, and I was half-drunk while not wearing my glasses.

Advertisement