Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What camera should I get

• 19-01-2009 6:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I know this has possibly been covered a hundred times already but I cant find (maybe im too tired or something lol)

But anyways I'm a total newbie to photography with regards to using DSLR's I have used point and click cameras before but Always found the useless and I could never achieve the results I wanted.

Its only now I have the money to actually get myself a decent camera, after having to sell a 450d that I bought on a whim a while ago and never getting to use it:o

I have access to buy either of these 4 camera's and a couple more but I cant think of their names.

Canon eos 450d
    Canon eos 1000d
    Canon eos 40d
    And a Nikon d40(i think)

Now bearing in mind I have no previous experience with DSLR's but I have been interested in photography for a while but i'm still doing my best to learn about different features etc.

What would people recommend...

40d might be out of my league for the moment but I can get it at a very good price along with the other camera's I listed.

Any help and insight is greatly appreciated..... even a link to a previous thread or site to make up for me seemingly not being able to find the info(i really blame lack of sleep:p)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tbk

Im going to add some extra info aswell in the form of what i will be photographing etc.

The majority of my photography will be of cars, be them still shots or action shots.

Saying that Im quite partial to shots of landscape and buildings.

Im also fascinated by HDR pictures and pictures with extremely sharp clarity.

That might not make any sense to anyone who actually knows what they are talking about but to me thats the best way i can describe what i will be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

First question......What's your budget?

Being a Nikon nut myself l can only recommend this make..l started with a D60 & now long for a D90, l guess a Photographer always wants to upgrade, just like a car or Computer or a really nice LCD TV.....:):) Till they find what they are happy with.....:confused:
    Buying second hand is an idea you might consider too.
    Heres a couple of links to Adverts.ie Which is a good site connected to Boards.ie
    This is a pretty good price for a starter Nikon Camera with 2 lenses included.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=86940&cat=all
    This is a price for the Canon 1000d.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=89902&cat=all

Good luck tbk, Whatever you decide to do, But do it fast you will not regret it...:)

Linda

l pearse wrote: »
    First question......What's your budget?

Being a Nikon nut myself l can only recommend this make..l started with a D60 & now long for a D90, l guess a Photographer always wants to upgrade, just like a car or Computer or a really nice LCD TV.....:):) Till they find what they are happy with.....:confused:
    Buying second hand is an idea you might consider too.
    Heres a couple of links to Adverts.ie Which is a good site connected to Boards.ie
    This is a pretty good price for a starter Nikon Camera with 2 lenses included.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=86940&cat=all
    This is a price for the Canon 1000d.
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=89902&cat=all

Good luck tbk, Whatever you decide to do, But do it fast you will not regret it...:)

Linda

Budget is up to about a thousand euro,

Im the kinda person though that likes to try and learn on something that will last me from the beginning until i have a greater knowledge of the subject then when I'm forced to upgrade I will.

I like the look of that 1000d and it seems a nice price!

what do people make of them for a beginner? How do they compare to the likes of a 450d?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Maybe a better way to look at it is which lens/es would suit your needs the best. See how much that will take from you budget & get a Body go with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ummm given howe much a bodies value drops and the degrees one advances at early stages, you'll be kicking yourself in six months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Why I'd recommend the 40D, if that's a bridge too far the 450D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ummm given howe much a bodies value drops and the degrees one advances at early stages, you'll be kicking yourself in six months

That's a really good point actually.

Might depend on your future financial capacity to upgrade but if you go for an entry level model even if you can afford a semi-pro model, then in 1 or 2 years time upgrade the next version of the camera system that would be released at a point in the future - this gives your knowledge and skills a chance to develop and you only end up upgrading when your skills take you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

It's a good time to get the 40D' it's still available at good price on warehouseexpress website.

Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR with 17-85mm IS Lens Kit - £769.99

Great price with 1 Euro = 90p

I had a play with a 40d and with my limited knowledge i found it extremely complicated.

So now I am the proud owner of an eos 450d, with an EF-S 55-250mm IS f/4.0-5.6 lens and EF-S18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 lens............. they any use? What type pics are each good for?

Just getting to grips with it now and reading up a load on the net

Advertisement