Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New U2 single -Get on your boots

Options
  • 19-01-2009 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I've just listened to the new U2 single and I am so disappointed. It is so disjointed lacking in any sort of melody and what a let down.

As a huge fan of the band I have to say I'm gutted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No change there then

Big U2 fan,but gotta admit - it's a complete dud

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep heard it this morning. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Only listened to it once, but I actually quite like it. It's good to see them try something different. Kinda reminds me of Achtung Baby, in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Melody of it reminds me a bit of Elvis Costello - Pump It Up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

I actually quite like it, have listened to it a few times now and i like the sound. As Blisterman said, its soemthing different.

It's like the lads just discovered Seattle in a dated 90's way.

Bland as cold porridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Bono sounds particularily awful here- should have dropped his voice an octave could have sounded better

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

listen to it a couple of times its good to hear something different from u2.Its going to be overplayed to bits .different, but i like it

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

on first listen... not great, and im a big fan.

by the 10th listen - who knows. some songs have grown on me in the past. when is the new album out so ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

liked it alot infact

diff sound

very bassy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

On first listen.. didn't like it.

On second listen.. definitely liked it more.

It might be a grower - love the bassline it must be said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

album is out in early march

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Listened to it 3 times only so far with mixed thoughts.
    I really like the bass line,agree that its different.

No doubt U2 regardless of what the tune is like will get the usual crowd on here sneering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

I actually think its ok.

Sounds like Bono has been listerning to Era Vulgaris and Death By Sexy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I thought it was alright, better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

At first, I thought it started off sounding like Hold Me, Thrill Me...or Discotheque, then the guitar pieces sounded like Vertigo...then the final bit of the song sounded like Fast Cars to me. My first impression was...no, this is not what I wanted to hear! But some of the vocals towards the end were catchy enough.

The way I see it, no U2 song (and I am a fan) has ever really grabbed my first time I've listened to it. The best songs are the songs that grow on you - they have a longer shelf-life. This one will undoubtedly grow on me as Vertigo did.

I do hope the album is more diverse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Fusion158

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    liked it alot infact

diff sound

very bassy

Indeed, just a nice bit of distortion. Reminds me a wee bit of the sound Marco from Nightwish uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

After a few listens I can see it will probably grow on me. It's definately different, but like gscully said the better U2 songs need to grow on you.

I'd be a big fan but would usually take a few months to decide which tracks I really like on a U2 album.

FULL ALBUM DETAILS HERE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

gscully wrote: »
    At first, I thought it started off sounding like Hold Me, Thrill Me...or Discotheque, then the guitar pieces sounded like Vertigo...then the final bit of the song sounded like Fast Cars to me. My first impression was...no, this is not what I wanted to hear! But some of the vocals towards the end were catchy enough.

The way I see it, no U2 song (and I am a fan) has ever really grabbed my first time I've listened to it. The best songs are the songs that grow on you - they have a longer shelf-life. This one will undoubtedly grow on me as Vertigo did.

I do hope the album is more diverse though.

Agreed, i didnt like tracks like streets,bad,city of blinding lights, to name a few after a few listens but they turned out to be all time favourites of mine.
    Im not sure get on your boots will fall into this category for me but i like it more than my first listen for sure.
    The bass and guitar riff is excellent thats for sure, should be very good live.
    Still waiting on the song as a whole to grow on me fully though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Jesus I really hate it. Produced to within and inch of its life.

I am a U2 fan toobut this just disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Not as sh*t as anything on one of their last 2 albums. They're still boring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A bunch of random quasi spiritual soundbites linked with a chorus that adores someone that doesn't realise their beauty. Hardly new lyrical ground for U2(not that lyrics are all that but...).
    I'd find it hard to distinguish it off either of their last 2 albums. ElvisCostello had it bang on for sound though "Pump it up Deco!".

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Not mad about that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Kold wrote: »
    Not as sh*t as anything on one of their last 2 albums. They're still boring.

Just another No.1 Album all over the world then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Well now, i like it...and that's only on hearing it once!! at the start i was a bit :confused: but then by the end i was more like :D It's funky!!

but then again....maybe i like it because it's about bootz!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Only thing I don't like about it is the guitar break which is a little jarring but I'm sure will be great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Heard it a second time while driving home for lunch. Yep...growing on me already. I like the 'Let me hear the sound sound' chorus...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I despised Vertigo when I first heard it. Once I got the album though it was clear that its sole intention was to be the stand out "rock and nothing else" track on the album to grab attention so I'm gonna go with the same reasoning here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I had a listen to it earlier on today, I wasn't too impressed by it but I remember the first time I heard Vertigo I wasn't very impressed either but it really grew on me after a few listens so maybe this new song will be the same.

Advertisement