Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New U2 single -Get on your boots

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

gscully wrote: »
    At first, I thought it started off sounding like Hold Me, Thrill Me...or Discotheque, then the guitar pieces sounded like Vertigo...then the final bit of the song sounded like Fast Cars to me. My first impression was...no, this is not what I wanted to hear! But some of the vocals towards the end were catchy enough.

The way I see it, no U2 song (and I am a fan) has ever really grabbed my first time I've listened to it. The best songs are the songs that grow on you - they have a longer shelf-life. This one will undoubtedly grow on me as Vertigo did.

I do hope the album is more diverse though.

The first listen or two I was a bit "WTF!" but now I've had it on repeat for about hour & half, I've sort of got it sussed out in my head :) I like it - but I suspect there will be better songs.

IMO, it sounds like Vertigo and Fast Cars mixed together. I think I'm even hearing something remotely close to Alice in Chains or Stone Temple Pilots in the chrous. Edge is actually on fire this time! And I'm loving the bassline. Well done, Mr Clayton!

Man! I can't wait for the new tour! It's been too long since the last one. GA line here I come!

Huggles wrote: »
    Jesus I really hate it. Produced to within and inch of its life.

I am a U2 fan toobut this just disappointing.

I think Daniel Lanois would drop dead in front of anyone who said that anything he produced was "over produced " LOL. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

its bad enough Ireland is going down the tubes as we speak.
    But now we have an irish musical metaphor of past its prime u2

I dont think this will be the best song in the album, i think
    Moment of Surrender will be dam good.
    This album would need to be better than coldplay + editors + elbow .
    I really doubt it .
    The U2 Bubble has bust as well.

listen to what they are trying to achive and failing miserably and
    these are old B sides FFS

Salome
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8xMkTjvqNHg

and the very underrated Lady with the Spinning Head
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9JyRMD_iHs4

both MILES better than Boots

although its good to see Adam C back cause he's good at the catchy riffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Just as well.
    I think Daniel Lanois would drop dead in front of anyone who said that anything he produced was "over produced " LOL. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

Hey folks,

I am a long time U2 fan (20+ years) and was counting the days until this was premiered.

I heard the single this morning and immediately thought WTF? I only managed to get one listen until I got home from work. I read what fellow boardies thought of it at work today and feared it may indeed be the start of the "one crap album and we're finished speak" that the band have always espoused.

I am now on my 5th listen at full volume and this rocks like a motherf**ker, one of Adams all time great bass lines, the guitar is a triumph. This song will be a monster live. I thinks much better than Vertigo as that song was a more obvious old school rocker. This song is deeper, much much deeper than Vertigo. Further, any similarities to Fast cars are minimal at best.

I think people are a little off with it as it is sonically quite a marked departure from the U2 of the last 8 years...I think it is a major step forward for the band.

I think this album will be a total different class and could (dare I say it) be similar in the shift between the Joshua tree and Achtung baby...I live in hope!!

• Advertisement

MMD wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I am a long time U2 fan (20+ years) and was counting the days until this was premiered.

I heard the single this morning and immediately thought WTF? I only managed to get one listen until I got home from work. I read what fellow boardies thought of it at work today and feared it may indeed be the start of the "one crap album and we're finished speak" that the band have always espoused.

I am now on my 5th listen at full volume and this rocks like a motherf**ker, one of Adams all time great bass lines, the guitar is a triumph. This song will be a monster live. I thinks much better than Vertigo as that song was a more obvious old school rocker. This song is deeper, much much deeper than Vertigo. Further, any similarities to Fast cars are minimal at best.

I think people are a little off with it as it is sonically quite a marked departure from the U2 of the last 8 years...I think it is a major step forward for the band.

I think this album will be a total different class and could (dare I say it) be similar in the shift between the Joshua tree and Achtung baby...I live in hope!!

as a resigned fan from 1983 . i totally disagree. i think this song is lazy.
    the next album will have 3 maybe four good songs if we are lucky.
    this . isnt one them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

musicmonky wrote: »
    as a resigned fan from 1983 . i totally disagree. i think this song is lazy.
    the next album will have 3 maybe four good songs if we are lucky.
    this . isnt one them

Lazy? I am curious to know your reasoning... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Would rather hear a new single from the Virgin Prunes.

MMD wrote: »
    Lazy? I am curious to know your reasoning... :)

well listen to the two songs i mentioned before.

there is no chorus in this song. none.
    a good song is ONE or PRIDE . this . isnt one of them

Nolanger wrote: »
    Would rather hear a new single from the Virgin Prunes.

Now that would be interesting too to say the least...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

sounds like Vertigo and Fast Cars mixed together.

Fast Cars came straight to mind when I heard it as well.

I like it, but I don't think this song will be representative of the album as a whole (like Vertigo wasn't). The real U2 gems will be the other tracks.
    This one will rock live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Ok, I'm a big U2 fan, have been for 14 years, have pretty much everything they've released.
    I heard the end of goyb on 2fm this morning and I though "OH NO!"
    Got a few txt's from people saying it was pretty good.
    I came home from work and had two listens, after liking the first verse or two I didnt really like the rest.
    I have noticed a big difference since I turned the speakers off and used my headphones.
    I have warmed too it.
    Its no classic by any sense, i think that middle eight
    "You don’t know how beautiful
    You don’t know how beautiful you are
    You don’t know, and you don’t get it, do you?
    You don’t know how beautiful you are"

If that was cut from the song it would be a lot better. Hopefully the live verision will omit that part.
    It kinda starts out like a rock song(heavy drums and big bass), but turns into a pop song "get on your boots!"
    I'm really not sure what to make of this.
    I dont think this is a look into the album, what it is, is nothing U2 have done before.

The next month shall be interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

The new sound from U2? It's not anything as dramatic as people were saying. Early reviews said this was akin to the change from 'Rattle and Hum' era to 'Achtung Baby'. Unfortunately this is not the case. This is a mixed up, messy track that sounds like 'Discotheque' merged with 'Vertigo'. But what can be expected? U2 won't produce anything like 'Achtung Baby' again and people should stop hoping for it - they've made enough great albums. It's a sorry state of affairs that there has been no big band to truly take the mantle off U2.

funktastic wrote: »
    The new sound from U2? It's not anything as dramatic as people were saying. Early reviews said this was akin to the change from 'Rattle and Hum' era to 'Achtung Baby'. Unfortunately this is not the case. This is a mixed up, messy track that sounds like 'Discotheque' merged with 'Vertigo'. But what can be expected? U2 won't produce anything like 'Achtung Baby' again and people should stop hoping for it - they've made enough great albums. It's a sorry state of affairs that there has been no big band to truly take the mantle off U2.

i totally agree. if these fans from olden days listen to the two tracks i mentioned before . ie salome and lady then they will see this is the same old
    s hite ....

to me this song is bad childrens tv music.
    nothing etheral ; nothing uplifting ; no real passion. which is what i expect from the high standards of u2

but this is just bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the drums and bass are quite good.

guitar hooks are awful, stick out like a sore thumb. guitar for most of the track is just generic background filler, safe and boring.

bono sounds tired.
    lyrics are cringeworthy. absolutely appalling. without a doubt the worst part of the track.

the breakdown towards the end is pretty bad. should really cut it.

without the lyrics it'd be an average song, with them, it's terrible.

yet another unimaginative plodding MOR single from u2 which will no doubt be a big hit, and get plenty of mainstream daytime radio play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

I knew before listening to it that it would be crap. Crap song title.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

lol i was a minute in and i was like

"omg where the **** is the edge with the delay pedal" and then wham HERPES.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Reminds me of Pump It Up by Elvis Costello

EDIT:
    Melody of it reminds me a bit of Elvis Costello - Pump It Up.

Oh shi-

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kevinmcm

I like, heard it few times and its a grower. Nicely multi layered.
    Hints of MGMT, Subterranean Homesick Blues and Pump it up I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Don't know yet!

There's some parts similar to QOTSA in there I think??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

oh dear....

i liked the bassline..

but oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 14,961 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've listened to the song about 20 times now and I think its a poor effort.
    Sounds like a rehash of 'Vertigo' and 'Xanax and Wine'.
    It has no chorus and the lyrics are poor.
    Its worse than any song on HTDAAB and any of the bonus songs on that album.
    Its a song by numbers effort.
    However I agree with Niallon .
    niallon wrote: »
    I despised Vertigo when I first heard it. Once I got the album though it was clear that its sole intention was to be the stand out "rock and nothing else" track on the album to grab attention so I'm gonna go with the same reasoning here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It's......ok. Nothing special, but not terrible either. Bass line is pretty good.
    Lyrics are fairly cringeworthy alright but with all the songs they've written over the years U2 have their fair share of clangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

10 listens later and it's really ****.
    I can't think of a worse single from these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Love this new track,

Soooooo vintage.
    Bono wears the lyrics well and has the voice to prove it.
    Edge slams back at those critics with a cruching hook riff worthy of Hendrix
    The drummer guy, well what can i say, im just glad the drums were invented all those years ago
    and lastly those smooth hypnotic bouncings of the bass, they put the jam in my jelly donut.

U2 live eternally in ground breaking territory.
    Learn it, love it, live it.

FIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭thischarmingman

These days, whenever I first hear a new U2 song, I try to think if I'd like it if it was a smaller/new band I was listening to. Say the Blizzards. If the Blizzards put out this song I'd think they were ****e. The lyrics...wtf? There's a line repeating toward the end 'sexy boots'. Sounds like something from Austin Powers.

I'd forgive dodgy lyrics if there was a good melody (sex on fire anyone?).

I think similarities to QOTSA are driven by the fuzzy bass riff - which is nice work and some of Larry's fills are cool too (different to what I'd expect).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

the drums and bass are nothing special

guitar for most of the track is just generic background filler, safe and boring.

lyrics are cringeworthy. absolutely appalling. without a doubt the worst part of the track.

the breakdown towards the end is dismal.

yet another unimaginative plodding single from u2 which will no doubt be a big hit, and get plenty of mainstream daytime radio play.
    +1. At least you could listen to their last few songs before they were played to death on the radio. This one is a station switcher.
    Dcully wrote: »
    No doubt U2 regardless of what the tune is like will get the usual crowd on here sneering them.
    Yeah. And the usual crowd saying its good just because its U2. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

funktastic wrote: »

whilst GOYB is certainly different and not exaclty what was expected as a first single, many people will be (very) pleasantly surprised with the rest of the album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

pleba wrote: »
    whilst GOYB is certainly different and not exaclty what was expected as a first single, many people will be (very) pleasantly surprised with the rest of the album

You know this because???

Advertisement