Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New U2 single -Get on your boots

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

It's a brilliant track and it's just getting better and better the more I hear it... Very dynamic, great rhythm, strange harmonies and a real song for moving to whether in the car or running or whatever. It certainly beats the crap out of anything on the Atomic Bomb album, particularly the steaming pile of sh*te that was Vertigo...

Of course theres plenty of oh so cool folks around who won't even give it a chance simply because it's U2... Ah well, it's their loss...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

i read posts on boards saying it does grow on you after a while but i'm after hearing it about 20 times now and its getting worse if anything. i dont like anything about it vocals lyrics guitar drums production dont even like the bassline. The whole thing seems so bland
    and i'm a U2 fan:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

U2, time they got on their coats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

5/10. "...beautiful you ah ha ha ha are...."

Where's the structure?

Very disappointing and not the direction people were hoping to hear
    this time around.

A complete MESS of a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Austin 3:16

oddone wrote: »
    5/10. "...beautiful you ah ha ha ha are...."

Where's the structure?

Very disappointing and not the direction people were hoping to hear
    this time around.

A complete MESS of a song.

I agree, some good bits, some awful bits, let's hope the album is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Elvis Costello, Pump it Up....... anyone......

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    I knew before listening to it that it would be crap. Crap song title.

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

I'm trying really hard to like it but so far no dice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

Ok, so I have extolled the virtues of the single on my previous posts but post album playbacks for the media , seems the album is very promising!

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=5212

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

When are they going to disappear, this song is so so bad!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

Yes. I was also very disappointed when I heard it! Hopefully the rest of the album will be an Improvement. It's worrying though. Bands usually release their strongest, "poppiest song" first dont they!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

MaryCat! wrote: »
    Yes. I was also very disappointed when I heard it! Hopefully the rest of the album will be an Improvement. It's worrying though. Bands usually release their strongest, "poppiest song" first dont they!

Bands like cradle of filth and cannibal corpse usually do anyway. :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

U2's Artwork|Taylor Dupree's
    0f067d1a8435c44c47a75bc98676c0e4.jpg|209172280_8216b66233.jpg

http://www.nme.com/news/u2/42195

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

u2 are pants......hands down pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fuzzy12

U2 have been poor for years. When you buy a new U2 album, do you listen to it for a few months until the hype dies down and then put it on the shelf to be forgotten about? There's no point trying to convince yourself that you like a song by listening to it 20 times, it's ok to say it's crap.

I used to like U2 but I just wish they would go away now. every 3-4 years - album - world tour = $$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

I bought Three in 1979 and nearly everything since, so I'm no U2 basher. I'm feeling a little underwhelmed about GOYB (sounds like B's pants are too tight:pac:) and I hope the rest of the album pushes my buttons. Not the end of the world if it doesn't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

brmccfc wrote: »
    u2 are pants......hands down pants
    :) Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

fuzzy12 wrote: »
    U2 have been poor for years. When you buy a new U2 album, do you listen to it for a few months until the hype dies down and then put it on the shelf to be forgotten about? There's no point trying to convince yourself that you like a song by listening to it 20 times, it's ok to say it's crap.

I used to like U2 but I just wish they would go away now. every 3-4 years - album - world tour = $$$$$$

Can't disagree here, haven't enjoyed a U2 album, with the exception of All That You Can't Leave Behind, since 1991.

That said, they are impressive to watch live, and i'm not talking on a TV screen drunk for an RTE special clipped version of the DVD either. As for the $$$$$ comment.

I've said it before i'll say it again, Music is a business, and people go into business why?

Altogether now... TO MAKE MONEY! :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

They made a joke of themselves at the Grammys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Tazzle wrote: »

At this stage in their career, not only do they care, but they also know that they can afford to.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭fitz

U2's Artwork|Taylor Dupree's
    0f067d1a8435c44c47a75bc98676c0e4.jpg|209172280_8216b66233.jpg

http://www.nme.com/news/u2/42195

Jebus, between the drums on Boots sounding like they're taken straight out of Starf*ckers Inc., and the artwork being ridiculously similar to some of NIN's more recent stuff (http://ghosts.nin.com/main/home), I wonder have the boys discovered Trent recently? And Alice in Chains too, given the harmonies in the chorus of Boots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

fitz wrote: »
    Jebus, between the drums on Boots sounding like they're taken straight out of Starf*ckers Inc., and the artwork being ridiculously similar to some of NIN's more recent stuff (http://ghosts.nin.com/main/home), I wonder have the boys discovered Trent recently? And Alice in Chains too, given the harmonies in the chorus of Boots?
    GOYB is a grower ! I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

v10 wrote: »
    Just another No.1 Album all over the world then ...
    The notion that massive commercial success means high quality is a very misguided one.

This song isn't too bad, but not great. I too have not been impressed with anything U2 have done since Zooropa - with the exception of the odd song. But there's a generic type of U2 song prevalent since about 1997 - either the ballady type one or the rockier one... and to be fair, this one doesn't quite fit into either category (in my opinion). It does remind me of The Fly, Discotheque etc - a fuzzy, bluesy bass in use, which I like. I think this one will grow on me.

As for the "oh you just don't like U2 because you're trying to be cool" comments - well no actually, some people genuinely don't like them, and that's their prerogative. U2 have an overwhelming number of bland songs in their repertoire from the last 12 years. And a number of them prior to this too (from about The Unforgettable Fire onwards). And I think this parochial nonsense of "they can do no wrong because they're Irish" by Fanning et al is just embarrassing.

At the same time though, sneering, dismissive comments are just as annoying.

As for the Elvis Costello Pump It Up comparisons... I don't hear a similarity, other than the beat. The Jam's Start! reminds me a lot more of Pump It Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Tazzle wrote: »

I was so embarrassed for them! they're ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I've always thought they were quite ****e. They did about two good albums, as far as I can gather, the one with 'Twilight' and 'Shadows and tall trees' on it, and 'Achtung baby'. Good moments but there is something kind of cold about Bono's voice to me, not very moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭BIRDCAGE1

The last good album they did was Achtung Baby, everything after that has just been dribble, .they're really starting to "flog a dead horse", but the strange thing that every f**ker will still go out and buy the new one when it arrives and give the boys another load of cash to go off and make another boring album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think Zooropa is also very good, but yeah, nothing of note since - bar the odd song. I really like Beautiful Day and Discotheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I was so embarrassed for them! they're ****e

I'm sure your embarrasment on their behalf has been duly noted by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Dudess wrote: »
    I think Zooropa is also very good, but yeah, nothing of note since - bar the odd song. I really like Beautiful Day and Discotheque.
    Not a big fan but I thought a lot of the stuff on "All that you can't leave behind" was good , the likes of the aforementioned Beautiful Day , In A little While , Kite , When you look at the world , Stuck in a Moment etc

Advertisement