Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Technical Issue]Problems accessing boards.ie :(

Options
  • 19-01-2009 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

I've got a really strange problem and I'm hoping that somebody can help me out on this.

I'm at work right now and can access boards.ie without any problem. Unfortunately, I'm in the office only about once a month (this is the first time this year). The problem I have though is when I use any of my own computers at home (the desktop or laptop) I can't get on to boards.ie. When I click the boards.ie shortcut, the website takes forever to load and then when it eventually loads, only half of the main page is there, e.g. there's NO menu at the top of the page. I've tried using different browsers, Firefox, IE and even Chrome, all with the same result.

Can anyone tell what might be wrong and how to fix this bug?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I was going to say it sounded like firewall settings locally, but if you're using two or more separate machines at home with the same result, that makes firewall issues unlikely. Have you tried getting onto your ISP?

Or, you could wait for one of the tech lords to come online and see what they've to say. (Tagged for techies!)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's occuring for both of your machines at home, then it sounds like either connection problems, or more likely it's an anti-virus or firewall problem. That is, I'm assuming you use the same AV/Firewall software on both machines.

There were a few people having problems a few months back because McAfee (I think) had incorrectly labelled boards.ie as having malware downloads to your machine. So anyone using a particular anti-virus product with out-of-date definition files had trouble suring boards. This was because the AV insisted on virus-scanning every single piece of information coming from boards, and also blocked scripts from being downloaded/run - scripts like the top menu.

So to me, that looks like the front runner. My suggestion would be to temporarily disable the AV on one of the machines and then see if that sorts it.

Advertisement