Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad (v Georgia)

• 19-01-2009 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

... to be announced by Giovanni Trapattoni later today. News so far that Stephen Ireland is not going to be included. Good enough for him. He can continue to focus his energies on performing well for Man City and discovering a way to grow his hair back.

Andy Reid is also not certain of a place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Watch this press conference live now...

http://www.fai.ie/live/

No real surprises, no Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Trap is really charismatic. He is an even better interview than the gaffer!

They look rightly pissed off with the questions on Stephen Ireland.

Brady just said to the reporters (about all the questions) "Have a bit of respect for your country". Can't blame him, its tedious at this stage.

Brady confirmed that they went to Manchester to see Ireland and he (Ireland) will contact them when he wants to come back. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So a Whelan/Gibson one-two again. Lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So a Whelan/Gibson one-two again. Lovely.

Should be enough for Georgia at least.

Edit: He seems fond of this Tony guy.

Trap is funny alright, having a (lighthearted) go at Rafa there for playing so many players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Is Andy Reid in? Please say he is.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    No he's not in. Trap doesn't want to change the "sol-id bal-ance". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

So whats the story with Finnan - is he injured or not?

Seems to be conflicting stories from Espanyol and Hull City.

• Advertisement

Vokes wrote: »
    So whats the story with Finnan - is he injured or not?

Seems to be conflicting stories from Espanyol and Hull City.
    They said right at the start that Finnan said his operation went well, he feels absolutely fine and he will be included but it's under review.

The squad is being cut down to 20 anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Andy Reid is not the saviour of Irish football. He's not even getting his game at Sunderland now.
    I know ya can say the same about Glen Whelan & Gibson but the Trap thinks they fit his plan and Reid definately doesn't. I hope it doesn't blow up in his face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

IRELAND squad to face Georgia on 11 February at Croke Park:

Goalkeepers

Shay Given
    Dean Kiely
    Keiren Westwood

Defenders

Alex Bruce
    Damien Delaney
    John O'Shea
    Kevin Foley
    Paul McShane
    Richard Dunne
    Stephen Kelly
    Steve Finnan
    Kevin Kilbane

Midfielders

Aiden McGeady
    Damien Duff
    Darron Gibson
    Glenn Whelan
    Keith Andrews
    Liam Miller
    Stephen Hunt
    Andy Keogh

Forwards

Caleb Folan
    Kevin Doyle
    Robbie Keane
    Shane Long
    Noel Hunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Andy Reid is so over rated here it's head scratching!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Caleb Folan needs to go on loan or move to get first team football, Hulls 5th choice striker should not be in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What? No players from the Evening Herald North Leinster Under-14s Mini League? Sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bluetonic wrote: »
    They look rightly pissed off with the questions on Stephen Ireland.

Brady just said to the reporters (about all the questions) "Have a bit of respect for your country". Can't blame him, its tedious at this stage.

Brady confirmed that they went to Manchester to see Ireland and he (Ireland) will contact them when he wants to come back. :rolleyes:

I'd be worried if Stephen did come back now.

On top of all this recession stuff, what would happen to national morale if he came back and only played like a relatively talented but in no way world-beating midfielder from a mid-table premiership outfit? And didn't single-handedly get us to the World Cup?

Could the country take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Trust the manager. People thought Jack Charlton was crazy when he took over. Forcing the most talented collection of Irish footballers assembled to that date to play long-ball. Dropping Brady, playing CB's in midfield, midfielders as full-backs and keeping faith in strikers who didn't score for 20 games. None of it made sense on paper (and the papers were quick to point that out), but the thing they often missed was that worked. Trap should be given the same benefit of the doubt, esp given his track record and the way he is currently sticking to his guns. I'd be more worried if he was chopping and changing game to game as it'd mean he wasn't sure what he is doing (whether right or wrong).

Not a fan of the Whelan-Gibson combo at present but I'm willing to give it a chance. I know I'd have more faith in either of them than hair-today gone-tomorrow no-show Stevie Ireland. He's a 'man' who has run out on his country more than occasion (once even when he wasn't wearing a rug so don't use the training-field bullying incident) yet a lot these 'fans' would welcome him back with open-arms just because he's doing the business at Citeh.

It shows how Ireland (the team) is getting treated more and more like a premiership club by supporters these days. Supporting is a lifestyle choice and winning is the only thing that matters. Things like player loyalty, dedication and dependability count for nothing anymore. Sure, bring back Roy Keane even though he walked out on his team/country with the entire world watching. Sure, bring back Stephen Ireland even though he thinks playing for his country should always be on his terms.

Who knows, 10-15 games from now Whelan-Gibson might be a revelation and S.Irelands absence will be treated the way as Bradys eventually was (ie no-one really cared). It's just too soon to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

How Paul McShane can make this team baffles me. :eek:

There are far better right backs in the Eircom League :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Likely starting eleven:

Given

Finnan
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Kilbane

McGeady
    Whelan
    Gibson
    Duff

Keane
    Doyle

Better hope for no injuries to the back four, looking a bit weak there in particular. Georgia had some decent forward players as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

How Paul McShane can make this team baffles me. :eek:

There are far better right backs in the Eircom League :D

True. Although if the rumours are true, Coleman could be on his way to Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Pigman II wrote: »
    Things like player loyalty, dedication and dependability count for nothing anymore. Sure, bring back Roy Keane even though he walked out on his team/country with the entire world watching. Sure, bring back Stephen Ireland even though he thinks playing for his country should always be on his terms.

Sure, let's call up a player who is "not Irish as such" but is "a good Catholic boy".

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Pure Cork wrote: »
    True. Although if the rumours are true, Coleman could be on his way to Everton.

Yeah its true enough from what I hear.

Will be the Irish right back in a season or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Whats the story with Rory Delap? Is he from the north?

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Sure, let's call up a player who is "not Irish as such" but is "a good Catholic boy".

Sure, at least he hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram run away like Keane and Ireland have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

lol is that a joke?

Trilla wrote: »
    lol is that a joke?

Not it wasnt! Just read his bio on wikipedia. Why isnt he in the squad at least, did he retire?

Not it wasnt! Just read his bio on wikipedia. Why isnt he in the squad at least, did he retire?

No, he threw in the towel. Accidentally killed two bystanders with it, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yeah, he's English! :pac: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Andy Reid is so over rated here it's head scratching!!
    Its not so much that he's so good, its more that everyone else in CM is so bad, and he still cant even get in the squad. He has to at least be an option from the bench.

No, he threw in the towel. Accidentally killed two bystanders with it, mind.

Pity, he is having a great season with Stoke. Scored against Chelsea at the weekend. We could do with an extra midfielder, what we have is poor imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Its not so much that he's so good, its more that everyone else in CM is so bad, and he still cant even get in the squad. He has to at least be an option from the bench.

Exactly. The Trap bumlove here when he clearly has some personal issues with the player is outrageous. Seems very unprofessional.

Whatever about Ireland, our bets passer of a football has been left out for two players who are average at best. I will qualify that buy saying Whelan has impressed since he got more game time at Stoke.

Sunderland have a rotation policy. I wouldn't read as much into Reid's exclusion there as some people. Only a select few make it every week.

Anyway, Finnan is in the squad and he hasn't played for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

noodler wrote: »
    Anyway, Finnan is in the squad and he hasn't played for months.

Big difference is Finnan has been there and done it over and over and also if he was left out dont think there woulsd be all this BS that we have about Reid, he's average at best a championship player and nowhere near international standard particularly with the type of game trap clearly wants to play and quite rightly too, he recognises that in McGeady, Duff, Keane and Doyle he has enough attacking threat there and doesnt need that kind of midfielder (altough im sure when Stephen Reid returns and Stephen Ireland stops sulking we will adapt a new systen)

Big difference is Finnan has been there and done it over and over and also if he was left out dont think there woulsd be all this BS that we have about Reid, he's average at best a championship player and nowhere near international standard particularly with the type of game trap clearly wants to play and quite rightly too, he recognises that in McGeady, Duff, Keane and Doyle he has enough attacking threat there and doesnt need that kind of midfielder (altough im sure when Stephen Reid returns and Stephen Ireland stops sulking we will adapt a new systen)

Are you actually having a laugh? Did you watch him run the game against Germany at croker? He has excellent creative displays under Kerr as well against the likes of Cyprus and Israel. Hell when Sunderland play him he usually sets up a goal for Cisse.

He is a premiership class player. Don't try to say his exclusion is based on footballing reasons. It isn't. Whatever about Trap and his preferred mediocre midfield, Reid should have been in the squad until Trap comes to his senses.

Finnan should be included of course. My point was any argument that Reid hasn't being playing enough football is retarded when you look at Gibson or Finnan or even Shane Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Andy Reid is better than Liam Miller.

Infact, Reid is a great, creative player... And Liam Miller is really really ****. It just doesnt add up.

• Advertisement

Andy Reid is better than Liam Miller.

Infact, Reid is a great, creative player... And Liam Miller is really really ****. It just doesnt add up.

My god, I didn't even realise Miller was in there.

For the love of god why? Has he got any positive attribute these days? Sunderland never play him.

Something doesn't add up is right.

I am starting to fear that Trap is basing squad decisions on vague stats without watching games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

noodler wrote: »
    He is a premiership class player. Don't try to say his exclusion is based on footballing reasons. It isn't. Whatever about Trap and his preferred mediocre midfield, Reid should have been in the squad until Trap comes to his senses..

Yes you are right my apologies you quite clearly know more about football than Trap, send your CV into the FAI there while your at it :rolleyes:

Yes you are right my apologies you quite clearly know more about football than Trap, send your CV into the FAI there while your at it :rolleyes:

OOh fantastic. Another cop-out attitude.

Send your blind beliefs and unconditional faith to the Catholic Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

when is stephen reid back from injury?

I wonder what would happen if we made the world cup and S.Reid and S.Ireland declared them selves available, would gibson and whealan be auto scrapped by trap??

Just a thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

nuxxx wrote: »
    when is stephen reid back from injury?

I wonder what would happen if we made the world cup and S.Reid and S.Ireland declared them selves available, would gibson and whealan be auto scrapped by trap??

Just a thought..

Stephen Reid wants to play. Hes just out for the rest of the season with a knee injury. Stephen Ireland on the other hand is a disgrace. As good as he is if he doesnt come back for the next round of matches after this Id forget about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

joe123 wrote: »
    Stephen Reid wants to play. Hes just out for the rest of the season with a knee injury. Stephen Ireland on the other hand is a disgrace. As good as he is if he doesnt come back for the next round of matches after this Id forget about him.
    Theres already a thread about him and Ireland. You have no right to say that about anybody. He doesn't want to play for Ireland and thats his perogative. You don't know the reasons behind it either, and there are suggestions that he might have good reason for not wanting to play so just leave it out and chat about who is in and who is not in that make themselves available.

Nobody asked you if Stephen Reid wanted to play or not. He is out for the season unfortunately. Hopefully with the scientific methods of Big Sam it might be his last serious injury as has been the case with so many other players.

On the team thats picked, its funny how Keith Andrews has come from virtual unknown to the Irish squad in a matter of months. He has played well under Allardyce but I still have reservations, very one footed and he can make some very late tackles too. But I suppose at least he is fit and full of confidence at the moment and I'm delighted for him. If he makes it onto the pitch its some story, to fail at Championship level and make your name at MK Dons and get signed by a Premier League club at 27 years of age and then make the Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Trust the manager. People thought Jack Charlton was crazy when he took over. Forcing the most talented collection of Irish footballers assembled to that date to play long-ball. Dropping Brady, playing CB's in midfield, midfielders as full-backs and keeping faith in strikers who didn't score for 20 games. None of it made sense on paper (and the papers were quick to point that out), but the thing they often missed was that worked. Trap should be given the same benefit of the doubt, esp given his track record and the way he is currently sticking to his guns. I'd be more worried if he was chopping and changing game to game as it'd mean he wasn't sure what he is doing (whether right or wrong).

Not a fan of the Whelan-Gibson combo at present but I'm willing to give it a chance. I know I'd have more faith in either of them than hair-today gone-tomorrow no-show Stevie Ireland. He's a 'man' who has run out on his country more than occasion (once even when he wasn't wearing a rug so don't use the training-field bullying incident) yet a lot these 'fans' would welcome him back with open-arms just because he's doing the business at Citeh.

It shows how Ireland (the team) is getting treated more and more like a premiership club by supporters these days. Supporting is a lifestyle choice and winning is the only thing that matters. Things like player loyalty, dedication and dependability count for nothing anymore. Sure, bring back Roy Keane even though he walked out on his team/country with the entire world watching. Sure, bring back Stephen Ireland even though he thinks playing for his country should always be on his terms.

Who knows, 10-15 games from now Whelan-Gibson might be a revelation and S.Irelands absence will be treated the way as Bradys eventually was (ie no-one really cared). It's just too soon to tell.

Ah get over yourself. People want us to qualify for the world cup thats all and whilst I accept your point on Charlton we are going nowhere with a Gibson / Whelan centre midfield. Remember Charlton had World Class players all over the pitch.

Wish people would forget Saipan at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Andy Reid is not the saviour of Irish football. He's not even getting his game at Sunderland now.
    I know ya can say the same about Glen Whelan & Gibson but the Trap thinks they fit his plan and Reid definately doesn't. I hope it doesn't blow up in his face

Sorry, but that's bollocks. He wasn't playing for Sunderland in a couple of games and the media started sprouting that ****e. He plays (and nearly always starts) for Sunderland every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

forget Andy Reid theres no Clinton Morrison sigh:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

mr.noobie wrote: »
    theres no Clinton Morrison sigh:(

+1

Is he retired? If not, he's got to be worth a squad place, scoring a fair bit this season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Tomthepost wrote: »
    . Remember Charlton had World Class players all over the pitch.

Did he? Obviously I am only going on reputation being too young to have seen them regularly, but McGrath and possibly Bonner are the only ones I would reckon. Roy Keane was in his mid 20s at the end of Jacks reign, and so hadnt asserted himself in that category. Aldo was great, but whether the viewing public of the 80s and 90s would judge him world class, I dont think so.

Morrison reminds me of Kilbane- often maligned by the support but generally gave 110% in the green jersey. Deserves at least to be named in the squad, and has never said he is unavailable as far as I am aware. Last played vs Cyprus in the 5-2 IIRC. Being in the wilderness so long you would wonder if he would bother coming if called up.

I have heard word McShane has come on leaps and bounds at Hull. True?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

shane86 wrote: »
    Morrison reminds me of Kilbane- often maligned by the support but generally gave 110% in the green jersey. Deserves at least to be named in the squad, and has never said he is unavailable as far as I am aware. Last played vs Cyprus in the 5-2 IIRC. Being in the wilderness so long you would wonder if he would bother coming if called up.

yeah not retired infact was hoping for a call up himself according to this lol:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11710_4542184,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

I'd love to go back and play for MY country,"

Christ just wait until the EL mob here read this one :P

So, is this the final proof of loyalty? He is getting on in years to be using international football as a pedestal to get noticed by Fergie/Rafa etc etc. Alot of the flak seemed to stem from a belief that he wanted to go to WC 2002, and would have picked Jamaica had they qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Did he? Obviously I am only going on reputation being too young to have seen them regularly, but McGrath and possibly Bonner are the only ones I would reckon. Roy Keane was in his mid 20s at the end of Jacks reign, and so hadnt asserted himself in that category. Aldo was great, but whether the viewing public of the 80s and 90s would judge him world class, I dont think so.
    ?

Jack's 1990 personnel easily outstrip what we have available now.

Bonner and McGrath need no introduction.

Stan, Houghton and Whelan were with Liverpool in 1990, the then league champions. Aldo had just left Liverpool to go to Spain IIRC. Jack also dispensed with Brady, albeit at the end of his career. O' Leary won a league title with Arsenal the following season. And Sheedy, Moran and Townsend were solid, top-level pros.

Sure Keane was still a work in progress in 94, but he played in midfield for the premiership champions.

Well he's now giving away penalties from outside the box whereas before he was doing it 10 yards inside the box, so I guess that's something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement