Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cold water pipes in hotpress

Options
  • 19-01-2009 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I need to turn off the water from the tank in the attic to replace my electric shower. Hoping i dont have to climb into the attic to do it i took a look in the hot press and there seems to be 2 cold water pipes with valves on them so i assuming 1 is for the imersion tank and the other is for the taps and shower. would i be correct in this?
    1 thing that has me concerned though is that there seems to be some sort of cement around 1 of the taps, possibly put there before to stop a leak? (see attached pic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I wouldn't think there's any way of knowing which valves do what from a single photograph of one valve and a bit of pipe. Depending on who did the original installation and when, they could have put or left out valves in all sorts of places. Personally I find it always easier to go into the attic, tie up the tank ball valve, and stick a wine bottle cork in the outlet pipe. That saves waiting for the tank to drain and fiddling about trying to find out which valve is which. It has the added advantage that it requires a few glasses of wine to get the cork:D

The "cement" around the valve? Certainly looks like something deliberately applied, but who knows what? It's surprising what some people will do to stop a slightly leaky valve rather than simply take a spanner to the gland nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

hi . the two pipes you mentioned in the hotpress wont turn off the water to your shower they are one which is the cold feed to the cylinder which turns off your hot water the other is the cold feed to your toilets and wash hand basins , you will see a pipe ( 1/2 ") in your attic going from your storage tank down through the stud to your shower there should be an isolation valve on that so you wont have to dain your tank , good luck with it .

Advertisement