Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Money Over???

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a decent bit of money at home (about €6000) and I want to bring it over as I have finally settled into a city after having travelled around and have a bank account now setup. I was wondering what the best way is to get the money over?

My bank says international transfers are free and the rate that I would get the transfer at is 1.88 to the euro which sounds about right, that is as of today. Was hoping the rate would be a bit better but its gone down from what it was and i hear on here it may go back up.

I am wondering would there be any better way to maximise the money coming over? I have a visa card so can take it out on the ATM from the credit card and pay no charges as long as the credit card is in credit at the time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

chris85 wrote: »
    Hi I have a decent bit of money at home (about €6000) and I want to bring it over as I have finally settled into a city after having travelled around and have a bank account now setup. I was wondering what the best way is to get the money over?

My bank says international transfers are free and the rate that I would get the transfer at is 1.88 to the euro which sounds about right, that is as of today. Was hoping the rate would be a bit better but its gone down from what it was and i hear on here it may go back up.

I am wondering would there be any better way to maximise the money coming over? I have a visa card so can take it out on the ATM from the credit card and pay no charges as long as the credit card is in credit at the time.

Use a money broker like Ozforex or HiFx etc ring them and they will explain all better rates than the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Use a money broker like Ozforex or HiFx etc ring them and they will explain all better rates than the banks.

The visa crowd seems to be offering the same exchange rates as them companies and less hassle but good ideas if credit card wasnt there, never thought bout companies offering better than the bank :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

just wondering how you set up a bank account from here chris?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

only1stevo wrote: »
    just wondering how you set up a bank account from here chris?

Done it with westpac. If it is within 6 weeks of entering the country they only need your passport to set it up.

had to make an apointment with a guy to set it up. It took about 1.5 hours but they set up everything. The accounts were up an running and our internet and phone banking was setup and eftpos card ordered and went through everything such as charges and the right accoiunt for what you need it for.

Think you can set it up before you go as others here have done it before but i didnt do that so not sure.

Advertisement