Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Build Timber Frame - Advise needed!

• 19-01-2009 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello All
    I am just beginning the process of building a house in Co.Limerick. I have decided to go with a timber frame dormer approx 2100 sq ft. As I am very new to this process I would like the advice and experience of some people who have already gone through the whole timber frame self build process.

First off, I have a clear idea of the house layout, and can purchase the exact plans that I want from the irish-house-plans website. Has anyone experience with this website? Do they provide a good after service? Are their prices competitive?

Secondly, do I really need to pay an architect to submit my planning permission if I already have my plans from the above and can have the additional steps, percolation test, site notice, site maps, newspaper ad etc done myself?

Thirdly, does anyone have experience of a timber frame house manufacturer in the Munster area, can anybody recommend any of them. I have looked at a few including Cygnum in Co.Cork, which looks like a very professional outfit.

Finally, once I get the planning permission (fingers crossed), foundations, timber frame in place, is it best to have a contractor complete the remainder of the work? Can any one recommend a good contractor who has experience with timber frame builds in the Limerick/Munster area? Also I will need an engineer to sign off on each stage of the build

Obviously I still have a LOT of research to do with regard to this project but would appreciate any advise/comments/wisdom that people have on this topic. Thanks!

Please PM me with any details if necessary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

There are lots of threads on this site about the advantages and disadvantages of getting your plans from a website. If you have time read through a few. But basically, if your going spending all that money on a house why scrimp on 1-2K (0.5% - 1%) to get a generic box when a good architect could give you a house custom designed to whatever you like that also takes into account, building regs, design features, orientation, site integration and all the things that may make getting planning for you in your area that little bit easier. They can also give you advice on different building systems, thermal mass of different constructions and how to make your building more energy efficent.

You dont need an architect to submit a planning application, the process is laid out so you can do it yourself but there are a lot in it. It will take alot of time, there are timescales that have to add up between application forms, newspaper notices and site notices. The wording of the adds has to be to the LA approval, as does everything that goes into the application. If you dont put down all the correct information in the correct place then your application will be invalidated. It could take a couple of weeks to get an invalidation which could result in you having to readvertise in the newspsper again. Generally the LA wont give you very specific info on why it was invalidated. Again there are several threads about this aswell.

As I'm not in the munster area I cant help with this one but make sure the one you get comes well recommended. Get references.

I would always recommend getting a contractor in. It will be more expensive than self build but any problems you have can all be directed to one person. Also you wont have to spend all day every day looking over subcontractors shoulders or chasing after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Well said Slig!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

I bought my plans of the irish-house-plans website and they were great, got turned down with the planning the first time, so I had to modify the house plans.

I phoned up the guy and explained what I needed, he then made the changes to the plans, e mailed them to me to see if I was happy with them, and then sent down a new set of house plans, and got the planning the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

jay28 wrote: »
    I bought my plans of the irish-house-plans website and they were great, got turned down with the planning the first time, so I had to modify the house plans.

I phoned up the guy and explained what I needed, he then made the changes to the plans, e mailed them to me to see if I was happy with them, and then sent down a new set of house plans, and got the planning the second time.

Jay28

Was looking at that website myself and thinking of getting plans off it in the next while! Just wondering, did you have to hire a seperate architect to do up the site layout and plans?

• Advertisement

The houses dont actually look to bad (except for that 2 storey monster at the bottom and the dormer at the top)
    I cant express how important orientation is in a house. Its not just southerly light and solar gains but, for example, I need the bedroom and kitchen to have east facing windows or I wouldnt be able to get up in the morning. A west facing sitting room would be a disaster because in order to watch tv you'd have to close the curtains (anybody with kids will know that this is from after school onwards!!!) and a north facing sunroom would just be a disaster.

It might be as simple as just mirroring the house but if not it would probably be easier to just go to an architect/engineer/technician and ask them to design a house in your chosen "style" that takes orientation, space planning and personal circumstances into account. They will generally work to planning stage anyway negating the need for submitting the application yourself.

Please remember that the elevations are the least important aspect of your house, so design them to the local design guidelines. Nobody spends very long standing outside looking at their own house but you are subjecting others, locals and tourists, to it for the next 50 to 100 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MunsterFan09

thanks everyone for the advise.

In relation to elevation and orientation,a relative of mine has built a very similar dormer on the site next to mine with no trouble, so the house I build will have the exact same elevation and orientation as his. So in this respect I think I am covered.

I do appreciate the point that for an extra 1% of overall build I will get the expertise and guidance of an arcitect, I think it would be the best option for overall peace of mind and to ensure the process runs smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

In relation to elevation and orientation,a relative of mine has built a very similar dormer on the site next to mine with no trouble, so the house I build will have the exact same elevation and orientation as his. So in this respect I think I am covered.

Simply put, Orientation means following the path of the sun, so that the main living / kitchen areas face south while bedrooms are on the north side.
    Large windows on south elevation to gain free heat from the sun. Small or no windows on the north facing elevation.

Your neighbours house may not have followed these simple techniques!
    Consider retaining a self employed Architectural Technician, with full PI insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

fonda wrote: »
    Jay28

Was looking at that website myself and thinking of getting plans off it in the next while! Just wondering, did you have to hire a seperate architect to do up the site layout and plans?

Hi,

Yeah I firstly picked a house off his website, but got him to slightly modify the interior and exterior the way I wanted it, He did a great job.

Yes I then got a local architecht to do site maps, test holes etc.

Hoping to start building in the spring/summer,

Cheers

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MunsterFan09

by the way, this is the house I am looking at building, comments are welcome!

http://www.irish-house-plans.ie/dorm_catalog/dorm095/dorm095.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi
    have a look at this site http://www.ijm.ie/ IJM are based in Monaghan but have done business down as far as Kerry.
    I was at one of those Ideal homes exhibs at limerick racecourse a couple of years ago and chatted about prices to a Rep from a timber frame company as i have an interest in that sort of thing. I told him that I had a quote already from IJM and he told me that they could not compete pricewise with them.
    Even if you did not intend to do business their site is very informative, plans, technical drawins etc
    Best of luck with your build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Hi
    have a look at this site http://www.ijm.ie/ IJM are based in Monaghan but have done business down as far as Kerry.
    I was at one of those Ideal homes exhibs at limerick racecourse a couple of years ago and chatted about prices to a Rep from a timber frame company as i have an interest in that sort of thing. I told him that I had a quote already from IJM and he told me that they could not compete pricewise with them.
    Even if you did not intend to do business their site is very informative, plans, technical drawins etc
    Best of luck with your build.

Going abit OT here but why would you want to buy a house plan when you can get your own made up for the same price (sometimes more expensive, sometimes cheaper).

I'm not trying to be patronising here I just cant understand it. Surely if you just want a generic house there are plenty on the market already that can be bought for much less than they would cost to build.

Is there still a market for selling one-off houses in the country? I cant imagine it is any easier to get planning for or build than a cuatom design (judging from some of the designs I have seen on these websites I cant imagine them getting PP at all!).

I cant see any advantages to this approach but maybe I'm missing something.

Slig wrote: »
    Going abit OT here but why would you want to buy a house plan when you can get your own made up for the same price (sometimes more expensive, sometimes cheaper).

I'm not trying to be patronising here I just cant understand it. Surely if you just want a generic house there are plenty on the market already that can be bought for much less than they would cost to build.

Is there still a market for selling one-off houses in the country? I cant imagine it is any easier to get planning for or build than a cuatom design (judging from some of the designs I have seen on these websites I cant imagine them getting PP at all!).

I cant see any advantages to this approach but maybe I'm missing something.

Inheriterd site perhaps?

Advertisement