Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand of miniDV tapes & DVDs

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've had a few problems with corrupted miniDV tapes (unfortunetly from a wedding). I'm assuming they are unrecoverable. So for the future, does anybody have any opinions on the various brands available? Is there a brand that may be more reliable than another? I'm currently using TDK tapes.

Also any tips on making the final DVDs as universally compatible as possible? I've noticed that often budget DVD players won't play my DVDs. I'm encoding & burning with Encore CS2 on all default encode & burn settings, Philips DVD burner, using Verbatim disks burning at the slowest available speed.

Any help on my first board.ie post much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

I generally use Sony Premium DV tapes (orange wrapper) and occasionally sony HD dv tape (not sure if there really is a different between them and the other dv tapes apart from the price :p), and never re-record over them. Some people say you should stick with one brand and not switch as it can damage the heads on your camera - but not sure how much of an issue that is nowadays - in the early days of dv it was a problem - but most camera people i know stick to it.

As for DVD - This can be like opening a whole can of worms with some people. Some will say use DVD-R's others DVD+R's... Personally I'll only use -R's and use Ritek Grade A stock. In the past i'd tried many different brands with varying success and the Ritek stock has given me little or no hassle from clients.

Cheap media can cause problems, i know from the past where a disk that worked fine in my player wouldn't work or played in a clients machine but was freezing... the problem lay with cheap disks and/or questionable dye on the disks. Taiyo Yuden are probably still regarded as the best disks to get but are quite expensive and you need to be sure they are genuine TY stock from a reputable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Thanks decob...any recommendations on those reputable suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

James74 wrote: »
    Thanks decob...any recommendations on those reputable suppliers?

D&P products aka http://www.camerakit.ie/

Advertisement