Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ran out of oil

Options
  • 19-01-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

My kerosene burner cut out yesterday. I checked oil tank and the fuel is very low. I am assuming it cut out due to no oil.
    If i get the oil tank refilled, what do i need to do to start the burner?
    Does it need bleeding or should I just press the red reset button?

It is a Grant burner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tobinj6

mcwhirter wrote: »
    My kerosene burner cut out yesterday. I checked oil tank and the fuel is very low. I am assuming it cut out due to no oil.
    If i get the oil tank refilled, what do i need to do to start the burner?
    Does it need bleeding or should I just press the red reset button?

It is a Grant burner.

Hi assuming the oil is low you could be lucky just order more oil now and dont turn on heating until you get the oil as you dont want it calling for oil when there is none thats how air gets into the system, then when oil arrives simply take front cover off boiler and set the heating in the house and hold your finger on the button at the boiler until it starts burning and keep it held for about 10 secs afterwards and it should kick in, if not try process again but should be ok. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Hi, thanks for wift reply.if it doesn't fire, then is air in the system? If so how do I bleed the system, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tobinj6

Hi, thanks for wift reply.if it doesn't fire, then is air in the system? If so how do I bleed the system, cheers

You need to bleed the oil feed line from the tank first - this involves removing the supply pipe connection to the pump and allowing the oil to run bubble free before reconnecting again. Once this is done, the pump itself will have a bleed valve somewhere, and you can let any remaining air out once the burner is running. and try get oil not to run out ha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you ask your oil delivery man nicely he'll usually bleed it for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

tobinj6 wrote: »
    You need to bleed the oil feed line from the tank first - this involves removing the supply pipe connection to the pump and allowing the oil to run bubble free before reconnecting again. Once this is done, the pump itself will have a bleed valve somewhere, and you can let any remaining air out once the burner is running. and try get oil not to run out ha

You should not keep your finger on the button - just press it once to reset it. You only need to bleed the oil pump - do not disconnect the oil line.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Update. I had the oil delivered and the burner would not fire up after pressing red reset button a few times.
    I disconnected oil input pipe at the burner and turned burner on, a bit of air and kerosene came out and eventually it fired up after beleeding it this way a couple of times.
    Phew, will make sure that I don't run out next time!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Update. I had the oil delivered and the burner would not fire up after pressing red reset button a few times.
    I disconnected oil input pipe at the burner and turned burner on, a bit of air and kerosene came out and eventually it fired up after beleeding it this way a couple of times.
    Phew, will make sure that I don't run out next time!

remember to bleed the radiators too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Cabaal wrote: »
    remember to bleed the radiators too :)

Huh? , the problem was not in his central heating system, It was in his oil line .

Advertisement