Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMS Website Wanted

Options
  • 19-01-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a website with a Content Management System for my Ultimate Fighting Promotion - Tribal Warfare (see sig). Could anyone recommend a template I could use? My experience is all ASP C# and all the free templates I've found are PHP so any help with this would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

We don't allow recommendations of hosting companies on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

We don't allow recommendations of hosting companies on this board.

Sorry my bad. I removed the reference to the hosting company, still looking for a template if anyone knows one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Thats no problem. By template, I presume you mean a CMS system? Since you don't mention using one in particular already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I use drupal for alot of my websites, as mentioned previous times its a learning curve but VERY adaptable. An excellent CMS really, no need to make your own it covers nearly everything and is very flexible in editing.

As far as themes go not to sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The obvious one is Joomla, it can be a little daunting as there is so much to it but there is plenty of info out there.

Also a blogging system can make a decent enough website, such as wordpress.

Some hosts have a script system such as fantastico that install and set up the site for you so all you need to do is log in and administer it. No need to worry about sql settings etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You could try CMS Made Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 codecrunchers

I'd second the CMSMS recomendation - it's excellent - but written in PHP also

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

+1 on the CMS Made Simple , it's great

Deaddude, are you sure the logo in your sig is big enough !! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 49 donalgeraghty

go to http://www.zimmertech.com/

hes very good.cheap aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭DUB

I'd recommend Drupal as well, there are security concerns about Joomla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There are security concerns on everything these days. Personally on any cms style site (one with a backend) i make sure i password protect the admin directory itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

depending on what you're after really ...

There are a lot of themes available for wordpress and yes you can use it as a CMS of sorts. Being blog software its handy enough new items to it. You can also create your static pages.

Personally though I'd say to go with CMS Made Simple I've been a strong believer in it for a while now and while there is a bit of a learning curve at times for the most part its quite "simple" :D

I don't like joomla :D (sorry had to get that in) ... there are as people will tell you however a hell of a lot of plugins available for it. So really it depends on your complete spec of what you want to do.

At the end of the day ... its night time ... but apart from that you should be able to covert any template you want into the system you are using handily enough. CMS MS I've found to be easier than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is there any means of further improving the security of a 'cms made simple' site. I'm just after launching one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is there any means of further improving the security of a 'cms made simple' site. I'm just after launching one myself.

start your own thread please as this will end up going off topic to the original posters question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 novena

very easy to get into religious wars over which CMS to use. All CMS systems can be hacked and therefore all (including the big commercial ones) have security concerns.

your choice of CMS depends on what skills you have and if you intend to build or manage the site yourself. Choose something that fits your skillset or find someone to do it for you.

Your Tribal site looks like it needs some basic site features to advertise your site, possibly some e-commerce features to sell tickets and I think it has great community potential so some forum and social networking features.

Drupal has a v steep learning curve so unless you are an expert, it'll take a long time to learn. Joomla is powerful and flexible and you can achieve good results faster, assuming some reasonable tech skills. Other, simpler CMS packages will be restrictive quite quickly but the extent of your ambition for the site is unclear

Rgds
    N.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

what about off the shelf stuff like Adobe contribute? some companies use Wordpress, but i wouldnt think thats ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

We wound up with a CMS website in the end - Tribal Warfare

many thanks to Mark for getting this set up.

Advertisement