Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Limerick people "anti Dublin"

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Not the media, not the sports teams, just Dublin people. Do we as a city/county have a natural anti Dublin streak in us. Had a cousin down recently and I cant tell you how much hassle he got from "lads" over his accent out in town. Was bloody embarassing, and it all stemmed from him being simply "a dub"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I think yes because of Image thats been given to Limerick by the media which is mainly based in dublin. I know not every media person is a dub, but in general people associate the bad press with the dubs. And i bet if you ask most dubs about Limerick, the words "stab city" will appear in their answer somewhere.
    But I thought most of the country was anti dub, not in a serious way of course but its still there. According to Dubs, if you live outside dublin your a culchee or a mucksavage, so its bound to happen.
    Anyway there's about a million of them so they should be able to handle it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

utter utter BS
    Why should my cousin, who was only down for 2 nights on a mini holiday, why should he be subjected to such crap just because he is a Dub! Kinda plays into the image doesnt it..??? :confused:
    And the media you speak about, the worst of them are Paul Williams from Leitrim and Cathy O'Halloran, from Tipp!!!
    Its not Seans fault that the media have this image, and why should he come down to Limerick and be subjected to what was practically hatred, just cos he is from Dublin.
    As i said, we give out about our image, and then this happens!!! What do you think he told his mates about Limerick when he got home.
    I was embarassed and disgusted.
    And we wonder why we have a bad name :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm not anti-dub (I went to secondary school there, and I lived there for 6 years on my first job).

I have to confess that I think I'm anti-dub-driver.

Whenever I see someone doing something stupid (overtaking on a roundabout, overtaking multiple cars at once, dangerous driving in general), 8/10 times (in my experience) its a 'D' Reg car.

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm not anti-dub (I went to secondary school there, and I lived there for 6 years on my first job).

Whenever I see someone doing something stupid (overtaking on a roundabout, overtaking multiple cars at once, dangerous driving in general), 8/10 times (in my experience) its a 'D' Reg car.

Prob cost for one reason or another MrE the newer Mercs and Beemers tend to have D regs/ Go to any Dealer down here and you will see that. I drive a C reg car, I am from Limerick......

Hang on a sec, getting slagged over your accent and hatred are two VERY different things. I meant its a kind of us against them feeling in Limerick and not actual hatred. But its just my opinion and also live in this city of ours.
    Most people on the streets wouldn't know or care where Paul Williams is from, they just know that he works in Dublin for a Dublin printed newspaper so i thinks thats where it comes from. Whoever it was that was expressing hatred towards your friend more than likely has other issues going on and i wouldn't call that normal from what i've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

It happens everywhere. Most people from outside the capital city dislike the people from the capital.

Dublin and London are prime examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Depends on what type of "hassle" he got.....if it was a ribbing/slagging, then it's fair enough, considering that most Dubs don't even recognise Limerick (or anywhere outside the Pale) as a "city", viewing it as "the sticks" - although how that squares with their pet phrase "stab city" is beyond me :P

If it was actual hassle, then it's not on.

I can't tell which type it was, but reverse the roles for a minute, Liam79; if you called up to Sean, would you be peppered with idiotic "stab city" and "culchie" references for the night ? And if so, are you just being over-sensitive, desperately wanting to show Limerick in a good light ?

It's just a question, mind...no slight or insult intended. I'd also agree that we shouldn't lower ourself to the lowest standard of "humour", so how some Dubs think/act shouldn't dictate how we do.

Basically, there are idiots everywhere. And normal people. And if someone from Dublin - OR from Limerick - generalises that much and gives people actual grief (rather than a slagging) over their background (instead of their behaviour/actions), then THEY'RE the idiots.

P.S. We should actually be nice to "them", really.....we've got Paul O'Connell while they've got Brian O'Driscoll !!! :D

dirty looks at the bar, fellas bumping into him, being told to "f**k off back to Dublin you pr*ck" etc etc etc
    this wasnt just once. Happened in 2 pubs, 3 diff people then later in Abra we were getting food and this bloke, 30's, heard Seans accent and starts raring on him about "f**in Dubs, f**in wa*kers" etc etc

To summarise
    Person hears negative stories about Limerick
    Person is assured its not like that, come down and see
    Person comes down to see
    Person gets abused from a height
    Person returns to Dublin

Now, what do you think that person thinks now?!
    We are our own worst enemies here. "Everyone hates us and we hate them"
    :(
    Embarassing

Oh and your point that because a Leitrim man works for a Dublin company and tells lies about Limerick, that somehow that Lietrim mans rubbish justifys people hating ALL Dubs?
    WTF??!!!:confused:

LiamB, I often go out in Dublin, never got abuse for my accent. Its far more common to hear a Limk accent in Dublin than the reverse. And i get the slaggin from seans mates about stab city, i slg back with junkies and knackers etc....its only slaggin, but I Know them and am on good terms with them.
    What happened Sean was a disgrace and totally different. I actually knew your man in Abra, well to see. He is a truck driving instructor, always see him at Limerick37 games. Assh*le

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Depends on what type of "hassle" he got.....if it was a ribbing/slagging, then it's fair enough, considering that most Dubs don't even recognise Limerick (or anywhere outside the Pale) as a "city", viewing it as "the sticks" - although how that squares with their pet phrase "stab city" is beyond me :P

If it was actual hassle, then it's not on.

I can't tell which type it was, but reverse the roles for a minute, Liam79; if you called up to Sean, would you be peppered with idiotic "stab city" and "culchie" references for the night ? And if so, are you just being over-sensitive, desperately wanting to show Limerick in a good light ?

It's just a question, mind...no slight or insult intended. I'd also agree that we shouldn't lower ourself to the lowest standard of "humour", so how some Dubs think/act shouldn't dictate how we do.

Basically, there are idiots everywhere. And normal people. And if someone from Dublin - OR from Limerick - generalises that much and gives people actual grief (rather than a slagging) over their background (instead of their behaviour/actions), then THEY'RE the idiots.

P.S. We should actually be nice to "them", really.....we've got Paul O'Connell while they've got Brian O'Driscoll !!! :D

Liam are you aware the term "stab city" was invented by Limerick's own Gerry Stembridge :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I would say there are a lot of anti dubs feelings in every county outside dublin to be honest not me mind ill judge the person!
    But from visiting dublin recently i was disgusted with the attitude towards limerick up there!
    Talking to people in the pub is fine untill they find out your from limerick and suddenly the converstation ends???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

No matter what the topic when someone starts giving you **** about something it is usually to get a reaction. There is nothing more annoying to a person like that than to agree wholeheartedly with them. When someone gives me **** about Limerick I usually look at them and say something like - "Yeah I know, sure the whole country is gone to **** which is why I am off to California." :D True or not it always shuts them up.

Good answer Ron :D
    Tell you what tho lads, so long as this attitude persists, then we cant very well complain about peoples perception of us, can we?
    Our own worst enemies

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Your cousin only met a few people, so I'd hold off on the sweeping generalisation. There are **** in Limerick, Cork, Galway, Dublin, even people whose homes have wheels are *****. Or at least some of them are.

* In KFC in the crescent some charming well travelled youngsters decided to shoot spitballs at the two black lads in front of me in the queue.

MarkR wrote: »
    Your cousin only met a few people, so I'd hold off on the sweeping generalisation. There are **** in Limerick, Cork, Galway, Dublin, even people whose homes have wheels are *****. Or at least some of them are.

* In KFC in the crescent some charming well travelled youngsters decided to shoot spitballs at the two black lads in front of me in the queue.

ya but we only went to a few pubs Mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

No I'm only anti-Clare. God I hate those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Mr E wrote: »

More likely they are Gardai than Dubliners :D

More likely they are Gardai than Dubliners :D

might be more truth in that than you think Billy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

They're only a bunch of west-brits anyway, who needs em?!? :D

always found most jackeens to be affable enough sorts. Annoying when in a group but one on one the vast majority seem sound as a pound. The decent normal working class ones that is. Dont get me started on the D4's!
    But your normal Hill16,Ronnie Drew or Tony Gregory kinda fella is normally sound out.

Would have a LOT more time for the normal Dub than the Normal Langer! Or the normal Nordie!

• Advertisement

So your anti cork and anti northener???

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    So your anti cork and anti northener???

No not atall, not anti anyone. Just prefer Dubs to them generally. But I would never ever ever have a go or judge them personally just because of their accent or location

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

That dub guy would probably have got hassle no matter what city he was in. Fact is, it was a busy night out where the only other people out are all drunk. The non-local accent stuck out so it attracted attention from the type of people who just wanted a bit of hassle.

I went to college in Limerick with a guy from dublin. The poor aul misfortune was constantly coming in to college with black eyes, etc. Always ended up in a bit of hassle when he was out. Mind you, he deserved every thump he got. He was full of sh*t. A right w*nker. He eventually went back to dublin where I assume he remains to this day. Probably with some kind of impaired vision from all the black-eyes he got down here. Heh heh...

Not sure what point I was making there....sorry....

sparkman wrote: »
    That dub guy would probably have got hassle no matter what city he was in. Fact is, it was a busy night out where the only other people out are all drunk. The non-local accent stuck out so it attracted attention from the type of people who just wanted a bit of hassle.

I went to college in Limerick with a guy from dublin. The poor aul misfortune was constantly coming in to college with black eyes, etc. Always ended up in a bit of hassle when he was out. Mind you, he deserved every thump he got. He was full of sh*t. A right w*nker. He eventually went back to dublin where I assume he remains to this day. Probably with some kind of impaired vision from all the black-eyes he got down here. Heh heh...

Not sure what point I was making there....sorry....

:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

Your cousin can only have met a small propotion of people for the time he spent and some of these must surely be your friends - how did these behave towards him? How sure are you that those that gave him bother were actually from Limerick?

Storm in a teacup if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

MarkR wrote: »
    It's a little known fact that traveling folk suffer from small willy syndrome, thus explaining this unprovoked attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I bet you the limerick people giving your cousin "hassle" was only a bit of banter! Time to calm down and reflect on what was said and how it was said!

Dublin people are very negative-minded to people they dont know from outside of dublin. And everyone outside of Dublin(leinster) give the aul bit of slagging and banter back to the dubs, thus giving Dubs the idea that everyone hates!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

"You Dublin types. Come down hear with your balls all shiny."

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

all the girls from limerick love the dubs. i think being with one makes them feel like a somebody(as mad as it sounds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

What pubs did you go to with your cousin? were they rough to start off with anyway regardless where your from?

Advertisement