Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Limerick people "anti Dublin"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I im not sure if Limerick people are anti dublin!

Depends on the person really but there are always minorities of people from any part of this country which get on people's nerves.

I go to college in dublin, i worked in dublin, everyone in work was a dub and my main group of friends in college are all dubs. I have absolutely no problems with them so i must say im not anti dublin at all. You meet the odd gob****e here and there but isnt that the case in every part of this country?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Liam79 wrote: »
    Liam are you aware the term "stab city" was invented by Limerick's own Gerry Stembridge :rolleyes:

Yes, as part of a comedy, not for general use at every mention of the city or on Spin 103.8's so-called "news". So less of the patronising rolleyes please; I've no problem with an odd original dig or something witty on The Panel, but dragging up a ten-year-old phrase - one that was barely humerous to begin with - is pathetic.....

If Gerry came on some comedy nowadays and called Dublin "shotgun city" after its disgraceful start to 2009, with the papers on about some suburbs being on the verge of all-out warfare, then I wonder if it would come into common usage ?

Somehow I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm from Dublin and in college in UL. I get a good bit of stick about my accent (which apparently is a thick Dooblin accent..I'm from Killiney for **** sake) but it's always been good natured and nothing more than a two-way slagging match.

I don't know where you went to with your cousin but I've never experienced anything like that out in Limerick. The accent stands out because there seem to be so few Dubliners in UL anyway so people will notice the accent more so you do get a bit more attention, but that doesn't mean it's malicious.

Like I've had taxi drivers on the radio to each other with several of them destroying me across the radio to each other but it's hilarious and doesn't contain an ounce of malice. I think your cousin just got unlucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Yes, as part of a comedy, not for general use at every mention of the city or on Spin 103.8's so-called "news". So less of the patronising rolleyes please; I've no problem with an odd original dig or something witty on The Panel, but dragging up a ten-year-old phrase - one that was barely humerous to begin with - is pathetic.....

If Gerry came on some comedy nowadays and called Dublin "shotgun city" after its disgraceful start to 2009, with the papers on about some suburbs being on the verge of all-out warfare, then I wonder if it would come into common usage ?

Somehow I doubt it.

Gerry Stenbridge didn't invent the term "stab city". It was invented by a local journalist. Stenbridge, as he put it himself "sold it door to door."

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mr E wrote: »

Whenever I see someone doing something stupid (overtaking on a roundabout, overtaking multiple cars at once, dangerous driving in general), 8/10 times (in my experience) its a 'D' Reg car.

How do you overtake on a roundabout?
    More likely they are Gardai than Dubliners :D

Not usually true. A lot companies, even ones based in Limerick, use leasing companies in Dublin for their company vehicles which will always be D reg'd. My car is an LH reg so god only knows what people think of me when I overtake multiple cars at once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Berty wrote: »
    How do you overtake on a roundabout?

Happened to me over the weekend on a standard roundabout. I was on the outside lane going straight on. Mr. D Reg was on the inside lane. We were both stopped at the entrance waiting for a gap. Gap came, I entered the roundabout, so did he... he accelerated his BMW, cut across the front of me, and went straight through the roundabout, exiting on the outside lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Maybe he knew you were an evil Mod:p

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Liam79 banned for one week for calling me evil.

No, not really, but I could, honest!

lol :D

As for what pubs
    Flannerys, Smyths, Charlies and popped into McDaids.
    And it wasnt slagging, especially the fella in Abra. Re read what i said. If thats what you call "slagging" then your basically condoning what he did and your as big a tinker as he is.
    I can just imagine how precious and venemous ye would all be here if one of us was in Abra in Dublin and some local started calling us "bleedin culchie wa**ers, f*uck off back to stab city ya smelly pr*ck, Limerick k*acker" etc
    But its ok the other w:confused:ay around, cos he was a Dub????

But its ok the other w:confused:ay around, cos he was a Dub????

Its fun to slag dubs, wha?:P

G'wan ow ov it ya dub luver.

Here's a start for your I love Dublin Wall

dublin2008.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Its ok to slag dubliners here because we are anonymous and sticks and stones may break my bones...................... :D

It happens everywhere. Its not big deal. People from Cork are told they sound like they are singing to you, people in Kerry are asked to repeat everything, people in Scotland are revered because everybody loves their accent and Dubs are just hated by all non dubs. The British hate the French and so on and so forth. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

why should they? Half the Limerick people have Dublin accents...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Do Dubliners hate Limerick?

Cause I've been called a Limerick scumbag in Dublin before.
    And not in the joking way.
    I've had a whole group of Dubliners step back (physically!) and treat me differently once they discover where I'm from.

So therefore, by your logic, all Dubliners hate Limerick, and should be ashamed of themselves!:rolleyes:

Its actually amazing to me, how few of you actually straight up refuse to condemn a lad being intimidated and abused on a night out minding his own business because of his accent. I am honestly surprised. Says a lot tho. Maybe the "Media" arent so wrong after all lads:confused:

Berty wrote: »
    Its fun to slag dubs, wha?:P

G'wan ow ov it ya dub luver.

Here's a start for your I love Dublin Wall

dublin2008.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Its ok to slag dubliners here because we are anonymous and sticks and stones may break my bones...................... :D

It happens everywhere. Its not big deal. People from Cork are told they sound like they are singing to you, people in Kerry are asked to repeat everything, people in Scotland are revered because everybody loves their accent and Dubs are just hated by all non dubs. The British hate the French and so on and so forth. :D

Berty, I guarantee you most Limerick people would rather see the Dubs win an All Ireland than your lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I bet you the limerick people giving your cousin "hassle" was only a bit of banter! Time to calm down and reflect on what was said and how it was said!

Dublin people are very negative-minded to people they dont know from outside of dublin. And everyone outside of Dublin(leinster) give the aul bit of slagging and banter back to the dubs, thus giving Dubs the idea that everyone hates!

Im sorry what?:rolleyes:
    How many people in Dublin are actually from Dublin

how many are then second generation dubs? ( ie of "culchie" parents)

Its actually amazing to me, how few of you actually straight up refuse to condemn a lad being intimidated and abused on a night out minding his own business because of his accent. I am honestly surprised. Says a lot tho. Maybe the "Media" arent so wrong after all lads:confused:

It's actually amazing to me, that you take the result of one night, on one person, as being an indictment of the whole city.
    One of my really good friends is from Dublin, living in Limerick now.
    He's been here more than two years, and never had a problem, not once.
    He goes out the whole time, he recently had a birthday, and about a dozen of his friends came down from Dublin, not one of them had a problem.
    All night.
    We were in Flannerys, Smiths, Icon, Charlies, all the same places as you.
    No problems.

I've gone out in Limerick before, and had "encounters" with people, that had nothing to do with where I was from.
    There are idiots out there looking for a fight, or something, and they'll pick whatever they notice to use.
    Your hair, your jacket, the fact that you're tall, or fat, your glasses, or....your accent.

I've gone out in Dublin before, and been seriously slagged (not messing) and even threatened because I'm from Limerick.

Do I try and blame all of Dublin, for a couple of isolated incidents that happened to me, ignoring the hundreds who've had no problems, and all the other times I had no problem?

No.

I'm sorry that your cousin had a problem, but he's not in any way in the majority.
    And it's not just Limerick, or Dublin, but anywhere in the country.
    And not just Ireland.
    I got slagged for being Irish in Holland, and England.
    Does that mean all English and Dutch hate the Irish?

No.

Think about the big picture before you paint the whole City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Its not just Limerick people everyone hates Dubs and I live in Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

mars bar wrote: »
    why should they? Half the Limerick people have Dublin accents...

Hee hee so true roysh. So funny growing up as a teen in Limerick to hear people I was in primary school affecting a DORT accent when we had all spoke the same as kids.

My 2c? Real dubs are funny people, great attitude and welcome in Limerick city anytime. Don't expect any favours in rugby matches mind.

Berty, I guarantee you most Limerick people would rather see the Dubs win an All Ireland than your lot!

Seriously, who cares about the sport of the poor? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I always say that they're three countries in Ireland. The North, the South and Dublin.

The North think they're British.

The South think they're Irish.

And Dubs thinks they're better than everybody else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

all the girls from limerick love the dubs. i think being with one makes them feel like a somebody(as mad as it sounds)

Sorry now I feel the need to jump in here. Where you get this notion is beyond me!! My boyfriend lived in Dublin when I first met him (he's from Kerry) I'm Limerick born and bred and I used to get more slaggin in Kerry about being from Limerick than I did in Dublin. Had a little altercation in Dublin once in the toilet of pub when two girls approached me and started gettin smart about us culchies come up robbin their fellas (took pleasure in tellin them,that my fellas actually a culchie too :D), nothing to do with me being from Limerick, just that fact that I was a culchie :rolleyes: Sometimes I think its better if we dont try to make sense of these situtations, because we cant, normal people just dont think like these people :)!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Not the media, not the sports teams, just Dublin people. Do we as a city/county have a natural anti Dublin streak in us. Had a cousin down recently and I cant tell you how much hassle he got from "lads" over his accent out in town. Was bloody embarassing, and it all stemmed from him being simply "a dub"
    I think so yes. Even I am a bit and I have cousins in Dublin too. I don't know why people are. But I can tell you that Dublin people are VERY anti-everything thats outside of dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Liam, how have you gotten this far without realising that Limerick city, in abra, after a feed of drink, u will meet dickheads. thats a given. city is full of ****s. theres plenty of people who didnt bat an eyelid at ur mans accent too, but u didnt notice them.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got some supplies for your next trip out in Limerick.

• Bucket of tar
    • Brush
    For all we know it was nothing about your friend being from dublin, maybe he was just obnoxious. Or they didn't like the look of him (I don't think you can see an accent from a distance, maybe I'm wrong)

I'm from the states (here a long time) and I've never had a bit of hassle. I think you're reading too much into one night out. Limerick people are Munster people. Munster people are Irish people (for the most part ;)) and we're all on the same planet.

If you want to try to find some artificial subset and say "All these people are X, Y, or Z" then that is very flippant.

Actually, maybe drunken people don't like dubs. Or people who are out on a Saturday night? Or, maybe there is some unexplainable force within you that causes all those around you to spontaneously dislike dublin people.

By your reasoning any of the above could be true.

And if there is a reason for any anti-Dub sentiment, twats like Gerry Ryan are to blame for it.

Did ye hear him?

Yet another gangland killing in Dublin.
    That's 4 in a week or so.
    Not to mention the one shot who survived.
    And the two arrested on the way to kill somebody.
    And all the other violence.
    And all bar one of the killings in the Finglas area, which has a population of around 1/3 of Limerick city (greater)!

And what's Gerry's reaction?

"Isn't it terrible the way things are. If it's not in Limerick, it's somewhere else."

For F**k sake!!!!!!!!!

Almost as much violence in a few days as happened during the year and a half of the "fued" and Gerry still brings the public attention to Limerick.

Idiots like him portray this idea into peoples head.

Forget about the violence and murders on your doorstep.
    At least it's not Limerick.
    Murder around the corner.
    Mugged in town.

And then when the average, honest Dubliner believes what the media tell them, people from here can be excused for being a bit annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bang on Karmafaerie

Why don't you ring him? someone needs to tell him how much of a clown he is. this would be a good opportunity to set the fat bollix straight

TheLoc wrote: »
    Why don't you ring him? someone needs to tell him how much of a clown he is. this would be a good opportunity to set the fat bollix straight

Because all calls are vetted.
    They want the people who come on, with a thick Limerick accent going "all right cuz, c'mere I tell ya. Limericks nah bother. Sure if anyone starts trouble with me, I'll smash 'em!"

They don't want people who know what they're talking about, and who back things up with facts.

And anyway, Gerry would agree with you to shut you up, and then be saying the same thing again the next day!
    It's what the masses want to hear, cause it does make them feel better about where they live.

Well one thing is clear, in relation to my original question, reading here, as many of you have openly admitted, a good proportion of Limerick people, prehaps, going by this, the majority, are in fact natually Anti Dublin.
    I just dont get it.
    The same lads prob roar on the like of Padraig Harrington, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Bernard Dunne and Paul McGinely :confused:
    Howsever.............

• Advertisement

Its a pity Liam Miller doesn't get the same support - Just because he's from cork haha as Roy keane put it :). I'm not anti dub and would never harrass any for that reason. its stupid. but its the same everywhere. people don't really like dubs because of the "we're great, better than the rest of the country & and no-where else matters but dublin" mentality. But thats only a minor thing. i've a few mates from up there. i don't really care where anyone is from. It just depends if there arrogant or not.

Advertisement