Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Limerick people "anti Dublin"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Liam.
    Care to address any of my points, or do you want to just stick to the baseless accusations?!

Myself, and almost every other person who's posted in this thread, has said no, we're not anti-Dublin.

Your response.
    To say that us saying no, obviously mean yes.

And the number of people who explained how they've never seen any problems for Dublin people.
    That unfortunate as it may be, your cousin is the only negative example.

You just ignore them all.

All that anyone here has said, is that we don't like the Dublin-centric media.
    Most of us going on to say that we have absoloutly no problem with people from Dublin.

You obviously started this thread with your mind made up.
    So much so, that you've taken every poster saying no, as us saying yes.

Please stop putting words in my mouth, and I'm sure a lot of other posters here would feel similarly.

Now I've posted a few times in here, with a litany of points, all of which you've chosen to ignore.

Next time, maybe you should name the thread "I Think That Limerick People Hate People From Dublin", cause you've simply ignored everyone who's disagreed with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Liam79 wrote: »
    Not the media, not the sports teams, just Dublin people. Do we as a city/county have a natural anti Dublin streak in us. Had a cousin down recently and I cant tell you how much hassle he got from "lads" over his accent out in town. Was bloody embarassing, and it all stemmed from him being simply "a dub"

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm not anti-dub (I went to secondary school there, and I lived there for 6 years on my first job).
    I would say there are a lot of anti dubs feelings in every county outside dublin to be honest not me mind ill judge the person!
    But from visiting dublin recently i was disgusted with the attitude towards limerick up there!
    Talking to people in the pub is fine untill they find out your from limerick and suddenly the converstation ends???
    No I'm only anti-Clare. God I hate those guys.

Pshan wrote: »
    Your cousin can only have met a small propotion of people for the time he spent and some of these must surely be your friends - how did these behave towards him? How sure are you that those that gave him bother were actually from Limerick?

Storm in a teacup if you ask me.

I im not sure if Limerick people are anti dublin!

Depends on the person really but there are always minorities of people from any part of this country which get on people's nerves.

I go to college in dublin, i worked in dublin, everyone in work was a dub and my main group of friends in college are all dubs. I have absolutely no problems with them so i must say im not anti dublin at all. You meet the odd gob****e here and there but isnt that the case in every part of this country?!

Funkstard wrote: »
    I'm from Dublin and in college in UL. I get a good bit of stick about my accent (which apparently is a thick Dooblin accent..I'm from Killiney for **** sake) but it's always been good natured and nothing more than a two-way slagging match.

I don't know where you went to with your cousin but I've never experienced anything like that out in Limerick. The accent stands out because there seem to be so few Dubliners in UL anyway so people will notice the accent more so you do get a bit more attention, but that doesn't mean it's malicious.

Like I've had taxi drivers on the radio to each other with several of them destroying me across the radio to each other but it's hilarious and doesn't contain an ounce of malice. I think your cousin just got unlucky!
    It's actually amazing to me, that you take the result of one night, on one person, as being an indictment of the whole city.
    One of my really good friends is from Dublin, living in Limerick now.
    He's been here more than two years, and never had a problem, not once.
    He goes out the whole time, he recently had a birthday, and about a dozen of his friends came down from Dublin, not one of them had a problem.
    All night.
    We were in Flannerys, Smiths, Icon, Charlies, all the same places as you.
    No problems.
    MarkR wrote: »
    I got some supplies for your next trip out in Limerick.

• Bucket of tar
    • Brush
    For all we know it was nothing about your friend being from dublin, maybe he was just obnoxious. Or they didn't like the look of him (I don't think you can see an accent from a distance, maybe I'm wrong)

I'm from the states (here a long time) and I've never had a bit of hassle. I think you're reading too much into one night out. Limerick people are Munster people. Munster people are Irish people (for the most part ;)) and we're all on the same planet.

If you want to try to find some artificial subset and say "All these people are X, Y, or Z" then that is very flippant.

Actually, maybe drunken people don't like dubs. Or people who are out on a Saturday night? Or, maybe there is some unexplainable force within you that causes all those around you to spontaneously dislike dublin people.

By your reasoning any of the above could be true.

Well one thing is clear, in relation to my original question, reading here, as many of you have openly admitted, a good proportion of Limerick people, prehaps, going by this, the majority, are in fact natually Anti Dublin.
    I just dont get it.
    The same lads prob roar on the like of Padraig Harrington, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Bernard Dunne and Paul McGinely :confused:
    Howsever.............

Just to emphasis how ridiculous a statement your last was.
    You ask a question.
    Overwhelmingly we say one thing.
    You come out and say that we've proven the opposite!
    People from Dublin, Limerick, and America disagree with you.
    Not one poster in this thread has said, yes I think that people from Limerick hate Dubliners. (Mutual slagging yes. Hate no.)

Give me a break like!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well one thing is clear, in relation to my original question, reading here, as many of you have openly admitted, a good proportion of Limerick people, prehaps, going by this, the majority, are in fact natually Anti Dublin.
    I just dont get it.
    The same lads prob roar on the like of Padraig Harrington, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Bernard Dunne and Paul McGinely :confused:
    Howsever.............

Mmm.. So far, all the Liams that have posted in this thread seem to be unable to grasp a point. Are all Liams like this? Despite me not having much of a frame of reference, I'm going to confidently say yes.

And while the people of Limerick aren't anti-dublin, I think they are starting to get anti-Liam. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Karma, I consider myself spanked :)
    I was over sensitive and still seething. Just got annoyed and I suppose embarassed you know.
    But your right. I will always admit when I am wrong. Hold my hands up and apologise.
    Sorry for generalising lads. I think my crime is I love Limerick TOO much and I want everyone else to love it too and I hate seeing someone leave with a sour taste.
    Apologies to all.
    I take it back
    Liam79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mmm.. So far, all the Liams that have posted in this thread seem to be unable to grasp a point.

Should I be insulted ?
    And while the people of Limerick aren't anti-dublin, I think they are starting to get anti-Liam. ;)

Hopefully not! :eek: Just like you shouldn't tar every Dub or Limerick person with the same brush, you can't judge us all by the actions of others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Should I be insulted ?

Hopefully not! :eek: Just like you shouldn't tar every Dub or Limerick person with the same brush, you can't judge us all by the actions of others.

Ahhh.... The exception to the rule. Should have guessed you'd pop up. It's all hugs and tearful apologies now, so I will forgo my anti-liamness. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Howsever.............

I know you sort of apologised, but isnt Podge, a munster man through bloodline anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

harringtons a true Dub Sparks, played minor football for them on the same team as Niall Quinn !
    sure if we are talking heritage, I am a Kerry man!
    And i aint no Kerry Man!!
    Up the treaty!

Haha yeah i know sure, met him after the AB match and I was asking him about what he thought of the match! Slagging off Leinster and that and he was saying he was Munster fan?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Looks right
    >
    <
    Looks Left

Better not be any fcuking Jackeen cnuts hanging around in here.....:D

Honestly though don't we all share the pet hate of Gobshítes posting on a national message board about going into town or where could to buy stuff on O'Connell St. - Cause there is no other "town" or "O'Connell St." in the fcuking Country is there? WELL IS THERE??? :mad:

[pretend rant - I promise]

• Advertisement

Also if you go into the After Hours forum, Dublin people seem to think its their forum, despite it being boards.ie and despite the fact we have broadband!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Also if you go into the After Hours forum, Dublin people seem to think its their forum, despite it being boards.ie and despite the fact we have broadband!!

That's mostly just the n00b posters, the mods in AH usually do a good job of relocating Dublin threads to the right places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Do you know what would show those Dublin feckers we are not scumbags and murders? If we went up there and stabbed them all. That would show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

I cant stand the accent it drives me madddddddd!!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

DylanS09 wrote: »
    I cant stand the accent it drives me madddddddd!!!!!

Is that a stutter, or do you pronounce all your 'd's that way? :D

Being more serious, there's more than just one "Dublin accent".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Same here. its bloody horrible. they seem to talk down to everyone else and come off unbelievably arrogant. but again thats only a few.
    The dublin accent is horrible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Im not sure what i hate more, the dublin scumbag accent or the limerick scumbag accent, they are both pretty horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im not sure what i hate more, the dublin scumbag accent or the limerick scumbag accent, they are both pretty horrible.

I hate both but I cringe when I hear a Limerick accent on the radio because everybody in the country hears it and goes "oh a Limerick fella, thats what they all sound like".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 L37 fan

there should be a thread "are dublin people anti-limerick"
    i have been called a bogger by dublin people up in shelbourne !
    limerick people are reality anti-dub " your scumbags your junkies alive alive ooo " classic

L37 fan wrote: »
    limerick people are reality anti-dub " your scumbags your junkies alive alive ooo " classic

Sounds like something from the terraces of Jackman Park! :D

• Advertisement

L37 fan wrote: »
    there should be a thread "are dublin people anti-limerick"
    i have been called a bogger by dublin people up in shelbourne !

Yeah there should. I was born in Dublin and spent some part of my childhood there. I actually hate Limerick people and Dublin people. Not looking to start an argument, but the people I hate most are Munster fans.

I might create a thread for "is Ardscoil Ris anti-everybody".

The answer to that is yes, but especially Munster fans.

the people I hate most are Munster fans.

Almost sounds racist. You hate me, even though you've never met me and have no idea what I'm like ?

Hmmmm....

Aside from the above and one or two other posts, I think the general gist of this thread is people are "anti-Dublin's 'centre of the universe', superiority complex", not "anti-Dublin" or "anti-Dublin people".

And the fact is not everyone in Dublin has that complex; also, ANYONE with an unjustified, patronising or dismissive superiority complex deserves to be hated, regardless of where they're from or what it's referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 L37 fan

An File wrote: »
    Sounds like something from the terraces of Jackman Park! :D

no other place for it =D apart from tolka park & morton stadium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I'm from Dundrum on the southside of Dublin. I've been living in Limerick since September 2007 - mostly in the city centre. I'd say I have a fairly generic southside Dublin accent. I've never had a word said about my accent while in Limerick, or any seen any indication of an anti-Dublin attitude.

edit: apart from this thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tinytina

Try driving around Limerick in a D-reg car and see how you get on! I used to when I moved here first, and christ, cars would rather drive through you rather than let you out of a side street. I now have an LK-plate and the difference is astonishing.

But you get that everywhere, the people outside the capital often have the impression that people from the capital are 'up themselves' or are looking down on them. To be honest that is not the case, except for the very occassional nob!

I haven't had hassle since moving here, but have been privy to conversations in work where people complain about dubliners, and when I pop my head up and say "eh hello!", they're like "Oh you're so nice, we forget you're from Dublin" :rolleyes: eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

tinytina wrote: »
    Try driving around Limerick in a D-reg car and see how you get on! I used to when I moved here first, and christ, cars would rather drive through you rather than let you out of a side street. I now have an LK-plate and the difference is astonishing.

But you get that everywhere, the people outside the capital often have the impression that people from the capital are 'up themselves' or are looking down on them. To be honest that is not the case, except for the very occassional nob!

I haven't had hassle since moving here, but have been privy to conversations in work where people complain about dubliners, and when I pop my head up and say "eh hello!", they're like "Oh you're so nice, we forget you're from Dublin" :rolleyes: eejits.

Im not so sure about that.

If im ever letting a car out onto the road i definetly dont look at the number plate. Its not as if anyone stops the car, checks if its a D reg and then goes "ah fcuk that, im not letting that guy out!"

:rolleyes:

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Almost sounds racist. You hate me, even though you've never met me and have no idea what I'm like ?

Hmmmm....

Aside from the above and one or two other posts, I think the general gist of this thread is people are "anti-Dublin's 'centre of the universe', superiority complex", not "anti-Dublin" or "anti-Dublin people".

And the fact is not everyone in Dublin has that complex; also, ANYONE with an unjustified, patronising or dismissive superiority complex deserves to be hated, regardless of where they're from or what it's referring to.

Yeah I know. I'm sorry. Maybe in a different life we could be best friends, but since you support Munster it can sadly never be.... :(

As for the "you never met me....." that logic could be applied to this thread by Dublin people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I hate people from Ard Scoil Ris, It was always known as the gay school:D

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I hate people from Ard Scoil Ris, It was always known as the gay school:D

Oh dear, yet another case of somebody confusing ASR for Comp! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah I know. I'm sorry. Maybe in a different life we could be best friends, but since you support Munster it can sadly never be.... :(

In a different life I'd STILL be supporting Munster! :D
    As for the "you never met me....." that logic could be applied to this thread by Dublin people.

100% true, except for the fact that most of the people who've posted answered "no, we're not".

There are 2 things that bug people....
    1) Dublin seems to regard anything outside it as practically non-existent or "the sticks", even if it's another city
    2) The crap and coverage that Limerick gets for its "image", regardless of any goings-on in Dublin

If I meet a Dub - or anyone - and they have the above preconcieved ideas, then they're a tosser and not worth knowing.

But it's not a foregone conclusion just because of where they're from; if and when they mention the above, then they're labelled a tosser, but if not and they're sound, then I don't give a crap where they're from, or what background they have.

I certainly wouldn't hate them SOLELY because of where they're from (or because of who they support ;) )

Judge people by their actions and attitudes; those they can control and have choices......not by their race/religion/ethnicity/birthplace/colour.

Advertisement