Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mark IV Golf GTI

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Mark IV Golf GTI as regards reliability and running costs etc
    I'm lookin at an 02 model for 9,000, with a high spec , leather seats etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

As far as i know that wasn't the GTi's best year......did you consider the diesel version (GT TDI) you'd be looking at 150bhp and excellent mpg (~45-50mpg)

I'd imagine the diesel would cost more to buy but I reckon it'd be worth that bit extra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Don17 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Mark IV Golf GTI as regards reliability and running costs etc
    I'm lookin at an 02 model for 9,000, with a high spec , leather seats etc.

Thanks

I'm a huge fan of these cars as they are quite fast, comfortable, reliable, classy interior/exterior and econonomical engine. Few cars offer as good a balance imo.

Problems include blown coil packs which cause a misfire and the normal mk4 golf electrical maladies (elec windows and central locking).

Make sure that you are looking at a 1.8L Turbo model as the 2L GTi is pants. The 1.8T will have a red i on the GTi badge.

A friend has a '99 one with 80k and it was chipped by superchips to 180hp at 40k and the engine is perfect. Chip makes it a very quick car. They do run better on fully synthetic oil so a VW service history is desirable. Most indy garages just pump 10W40 semi-synthetic into them.

If I had 9k to spend on a mk4 golf I'd probably look at this for value however:
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLKSWAGEN+GOLF/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294966995-4294967159/advert.action?R=200801326183672&distance=180&postcode=KT17+3NH&channel=CARS&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=GOLF&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2002&vehicleRegLetter=52

Anniversary's have 180hp as standard from a slightly reworked engine.

Edit: The PD150 diesel is meant to be great but they require 6k oil services with the correct VW oil to avoid severe camshaft wear. I would only get one if I needed to do big miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

martydunf wrote: »
    As far as i know that wasn't the GTi's best year......

Agreed,

However, engine wise, I have the same in my car (Passat 1.8T) and has been totally reliable. One of the better VAG engines IMO. Currently get 35 - 38mpg mixed driving. It cant be faulted.

With the GTI, I think a re-map and some suspension tweeks might help matters.. not to mention the 9K price tag to deal with :rolleyes:

Check out http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Ferris wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of these cars as they are quite fast, comfortable, reliable, classy interior/exterior and econonomical engine. Few cars offer as good a balance imo.

Problems include blown coil packs which cause a misfire and the normal mk4 golf electrical maladies (elec windows and central locking).

Make sure that you are looking at a 1.8L Turbo model as the 2L GTi is pants. The 1.8T will have a red i on the GTi badge.

Badges mean nothing, the gti's that was sold in Ireland were all 1.8 turbo's. UK had a 2.0 gti but it's a crap engine. I doubt there are many of them here. The 2.0litre golf was never badged as a gti here.

A friend has a '99 one with 80k and it was chipped by superchips to 180hp at 40k and the engine is perfect. Chip makes it a very quick car. They do run better on fully synthetic oil so a VW service history is desirable. Most indy garages just pump 10W40 semi-synthetic into them.

A remap is the way to go with these, usually make very close to 200bhp after a remap. 5w-40 full synthetic would be the best to use.

If I had 9k to spend on a mk4 golf I'd probably look at this for value however:
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLKSWAGEN+GOLF/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294966995-4294967159/advert.action?R=200801326183672&distance=180&postcode=KT17+3NH&channel=CARS&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=GOLF&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2002&vehicleRegLetter=52

Anniversary's have 180hp as standard from a slightly reworked engine.

The engine is the same just a different turbo, k03 on 150bhp's and k03s on 180bhp's. There was also a 180bhp non anniversary model, engine code on these is AUQ.

Edit: The PD150 diesel is meant to be great but they require 6k oil services with the correct VW oil to avoid severe camshaft wear. I would only get one if I needed to do big miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Don17

Thanks for the advice,

I don't do huge mileage so not even considering a diesel.

Think the price is a bit high myself so i might try and make an offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Ferris wrote: »

is every 6k not a bit too much - id do my PD130 every 10k/year or so and even that is below the variable servicing suggestions

voxpop wrote: »
    is every 6k not a bit too much - id do my PD130 every 10k/year or so and even that is below the variable servicing suggestions

hydraulic tappet wear is a problem on all the later 1.9tdi engines. Using the correct VW approved oil at the specified interval avoids the problem I hear. Replacing the tappets costs around 400euro iirc.

The PD150 unit seems to wear the camshaft lobes too due to oil starvation so the common practice is to change the oil more regularly. Symptoms of a worn camshaft/hyd tappets would be a loud knock, a loss of power and an inability to rev.

All this is gleaned from VW boards way back when, I was contemplating buying a PD150 at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I own a 1999 black 5 doorr.I imported it from the UK and so far I am very happy with it.It's the 1.8T 150bhp and has enough power for me.As far I know the 180bhp was only introduced here in 2001?
    I don't do big milleage but around town she will do around 300 miles to a fill for €50 ish.
    Usual mk iv probs are airbag light, rear windscreen washer leakiing to the interior of the car,door locks breaking and coilsd on the 1.8T, but touch wood I haven't suffered but I believe the previous owner had a few as I have all the history showing when they were rectified.

Moanin wrote: »
    Usual mk iv probs are airbag light,

This is caused by moving the front seats too far forward or back which breaks the wires to the bottom of the seat, the wires trigger/monitor the side airbags in the seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tony cochrane

I'd say go for it. I owned and ran one for over 4 years and 50k and I never really had any major issues with it. The 1.8T is a fairly economical engine. I always averaged around 35mpg in mixed driving and over 40mpg on a longer run.
    Where as the mark IV isn't considered a classic Golf GTI, it is a very good, capable car and does manage to mix comfort with a bit of go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement