Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in Dublin

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Excuse the newbie questions, but I've looked through the stickies and previous posts, but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to buy a shotgun off a friend. I'm presuming I will need to drop down to the Fire-Arms officer in the local station with his details and relevant papers and documentation for the gun.

Is there anything else I will need when I apply for my licence?

My aunt has farmland (200 acres) out near ballyboughal/Garretstown that she said I can use for the application or is it a requirement that I join a gun-club?

Also with regards to a gun safe for a shot gun. Where's the best place to go for a cheap single gun safe? I plan to mount the safe in an alarmed outbuilding that is of concrete construction etc. would this be ok? As I noticed in the stickie thread that the safe cannot be in a "shed" I wouldn't consider the building a shed.

I live in North Dublin (Raheny/Coolock area), is there any dealers (fire-arms before some smart a*se pipes up :P) in that area?

I'm new into shooting and looking for the best way to start up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Cheers for the speedy response, but I've already looked through that sticky section and it didn't actually answer my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Get your aunt to sign a permission to shot letter like below, amend as required. Cut and paste into a word document. You don't need to join a gun club then.

Permission to shoot XXXXXXXX caliber rifles/Shotgun on lands.
    Name ______________________________________________________
    Address__________________________________________________________

I hereby give XXXXXXXXXXXXX permission to shoot his XXXXXXX for game shooting and the control of vermin on my lands at the above address. My lands are used for the farming of cattle and sheep. These lands are away from the public roads and the fields are divided by hedges.
    Signed __________________________________________ Date______________

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Welcome
    BigDuffman wrote: »
    Howdy all,

Excuse the newbie questions, but I've looked through the stickies and previous posts, but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to buy a shotgun off a friend. I'm presuming I will need to drop down to the Fire-Arms officer in the local station with his details and relevant papers and documentation for the gun.

My aunt has farmland (200 acres) out near ballyboughal/Garretstown that she said I can use for the application or is it a requirement that I join a gun-club?

pms link should answer the questions on license application
    Also with regards to a gun safe for a shot gun. Where's the best place to go for a cheap single gun safe? I plan to mount the safe in an alarmed outbuilding that is of concrete construction etc. would this be ok? As I noticed in the stickie thread that the safe cannot be in a "shed" I wouldn't consider the building a shed.

Is there any reason you cant keep it in the house? Your Crime Prevention Officier (who may inspect your security set-up including safe location) is the person to ask, we cant say if he/she will consider the building a shed. One man's shed is another man's out house, you know what I mean.

Its an odd one, I have never known someone to store their firearms in another building they own bar their house (except firearms dealers of course), so maybe someone who has, will know the legislation better than me.
    I live in North Dublin (Raheny/Coolock area), is there any dealers (fire-arms before some smart a*se pipes up :P) in that area?

I'm new into shooting and looking for the best way to start up.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Board:Shooting

There is a list of firearms dealers here, most of them will sell safes. I don't know your area so cant advise who will be the cheapest but a few phone calls and you'll be sorted.

From the TIPS SECTION Vegeta wrote:-

General Guide to License application
    • Contact your local club (or the closest one to local)
    • GO and have a look and check out the equipment they use
    • Maybe have a go under the tuition of someone who is experienced
    • Make an informed decision on what type of firearm would suit your needs
    • You need a valid reason to own a firearm, target shooting or hunting, so you will probably need to join a range and/or get permission from a few landowners or join a hunting gun club.
    • Go to or ring a few firearms dealers to get the best price for that type of firearm
    • Place a deposit on the firearm
    • Bring your proof of purchase (which will have firearms info and serial number) along with your range membership and landowners permission to the local Garda Station.
    • Ask for the Garda who deals with firearms license applications.
    • Fill out the forms.
    • The Superintendent may ask you to put in security measures. You may get a visit from a Crime Prevention Officer to access your home and make security recommendations. These include safes, alarms, secure doors and windows etc.
    • Make these changes and then wait for the paper work to be completed.
    Veg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

BigDuffman wrote: »

If you aunt's land is where you intend to use the gun, then you should use that as the basis of your application; if you're a member of a gun club, you should use that membership as the basis of your application; if you want to go clay pigeon shooting, you use membership of a clay club/range as the basis of your application.

That's the whole purpose of the 'good reason' part of the application process; the 'good reason' should the first part of the decision making process in acquiring a firearm, not something that has to be created in order to justify the acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Vegeta wrote: »
    Welcome

Is there any reason you cant keep it in the house? Your Crime Prevention Officier (who may inspect your security set-up including safe location) is the person to ask, we cant say if he/she will consider the building a shed. One man's shed is another man's out house, you know what I mean.

Its an odd one, I have never known someone to store their firearms in another building they own bar their house (except firearms dealers of course), so maybe someone who has, will know the legislation better than me.

Thanks for the replies!

Reason is I'm still living in with the parents who unfortunately are terrified at the prospect of having a gun in the house. And in a questionable logic train they OK'd a safe out in the back. The parental unit in question is thinking along the lines of if some-one is going to break in to steal the gun they wont be breaking into the house.

I'm going to take what I can get at this stage.

Heres hoping the CPO will share my opinion on the building description!

I would think that the gun safe would have to be in the house. But you may not need a gun safe for just the 1 shotgun. Cupboard or wardrobe my do well enough. Depends on your FO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

clivej wrote: »
    .............. Cupboard or wardrobe my do well enough. Depends on your FO

The way things are going with regard to houses with firearms being targeted with the sole intention of stealing firearms a cabinet/safe sould be the absolute MINIMUM security used whether or not the CPO requires it.

The days of the shotgun in the wardrobe/cupboard are long gone. The less firearms stolen the better otherwise it adds fuel to the fire that we cannot be trusted to have them in our possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The days of the shotgun in the wardrobe/cupboard are long gone. The less firearms stolen the better otherwise it adds fuel to the fire that we cannot be trusted to have them in our possession.

Bunny you can be a troublesome lad to deal with but you are bang on here.

Clive you are right, he may not be asked to get a safe by the CPO or FO but you and I both know it really is the minimum someone should be considering these days.

I have posted this a few times lately (off to the tips section I go) but these are a handy guideline.
    The NCPU have issued guidelines to supers as advice, not rules.
    These are:
    The firearm has to be stored in a structurally sound building.
    Gun cabinets must be used.
    Firearms should never be left unattended.
    Three categories for secure storage:
    Category A (rifles to .22, shotguns)
    - Gun Cabinet (not insisting on BS standard, just that it be fit for purpose), secured to a solid wall or floor and concealed if possible.
    - The dwelling should be reasonably secure (good doors and windows).

Category B (fullbore rifles)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category A
    - Seperate storage area in the cabinet for ammunition
    - Audible (not necessarily monitored) alarm on the dwelling
    Category C (pistols and revolvers)
    - Gun Cabinet as in category B
    - External doors must be in good condition with 5 lever mortice locks or for patio doors, anti-lift devices.
    - Alarm to EM5031 standard, monitored by a recognised monitoring centre
    Also, if you have four or more firearms in a category, you must meet the standards of the next higher category (so 4 cat A firearms = you must meet the cat B conditions).

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    Bunny you can be a troublesome lad to deal with...........

I prefer to think of myself as a straight talking, from the hip kind of guy :o I am starting the new year off full of goodwill and cheer to my fellow shooters :P. Wonder how long I can keep it up for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

:o I am starting the new year off full of goodwill and cheer to my fellow shooters :P. Wonder how long I can keep it up for :D

Psst, bunny, I... I... I shot an air pistol yesterday, a- and, I think I liked it... :o

Psst, bunny, I... I... I shot an air pistol yesterday, a- and, I think I liked it... :o

Sssssh .............. I shot one a few years ago in UK and I liked it too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

We'll have a support group. :p

Advertisement