Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Way To Attach a License Plate

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

What's the best way to attach a license plate without drilling any holes? Is there some kind of special adhesive strips or something along those lines that I could get in a motor factors?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Just get some double sided sticky tape, motor factors sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Just get some double sided sticky tape, motor factors sell them.

+1
    Works a treat

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I tried that before and it fell off. Fortunately I found it. And I used 3m tape as well. Surface was clean and dry, but there was tiny bit of flex on the plate due to a slight curve on the car. Was i just unlucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Unlucky i would say. I use this stuff and only once has a plate come off and that was because i drove through a huge flood and was stuck in the water for about a minute :(

Velcro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

i used to work in a garage putting on licence plates what we used to do was to drill 2 holes in the number plate than put the plate on the car and drill two more holes using the holes you drilled earlier as a template then get 2 screws and screw the number plate on esuring there was a white cap put on the screw before this is the way must garages do it as double sided sticky tape will just fall off at a car wash

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got some double sided tape from a motor factors in Cork black spongy stuff about 1cm by 1cm.
    I put 3 strips the length of the plate and stuck it on
    It works great and I was wary of it as the front plate on my focus has quite a bend in it shaped to the bumper.
    Never fell off on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Like i said i've used the velcro now for 4 years on numerous cars all of which are washed often and only that one time in a flood has it ever come off. I definitly would not be drilling holes into the car. Whats the point when you don't need to! I would murder a garage if they did that to my car without asking :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,327 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jjbrien wrote: »
    i used to work in a garage putting on licence plates what we used to do was to drill 2 holes in the number plate than put the plate on the car and drill two more holes using the holes you drilled earlier as a template then get 2 screws and screw the number plate on esuring there was a white cap put on the screw before this is the way must garages do it as double sided sticky tape will just fall off at a car wash
    Interesting, but the OP asked
    spillcoe wrote:
    What's the best way to attach a license plate without drilling any holes?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I used adhesive on mine, because of the curve in the front of the car I wanted the number plate to curve slightly too as it looked terrible when it was on straight, the sticky tape didn't do the job so I just got some adhesive and its stayed on ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I am curious as to why you would want to use some sort of tape instead of screws, your number plate is staying on for the life of the car, why wouldn't you screw it on and not worry about it falling off......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I used 3 strips of 3cm*8cm double sided sponge on NI plates a few years back and then imported the car into the south and had to take the NI plates off - unbelievable how well the plates were stuck on, it would have been easier to pull screws out of a bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MarkR wrote: »
    I tried that before and it fell off. Fortunately I found it. And I used 3m tape as well. Surface was clean and dry, but there was tiny bit of flex on the plate due to a slight curve on the car. Was i just unlucky?
    I got some double-sided sticky pads from the UK once, they were about 2mm thick so they could absorb any curvature and very sticky. About 1cm wide by just shy of the height of a reg plate in length. Worked great, if anyone knows where to get them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

robtri wrote: »
    I am curious as to why you would want to use some sort of tape instead of screws, your number plate is staying on for the life of the car, why wouldn't you screw it on and not worry about it falling off......

My plates are screwed into the bumpers and aren't going anywhere. However, some cars are designed so that the plate fixes to bodywork - I wouldn't drill into metal.

Advertisement