Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask for reduced rent in new place?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I've just moved in last week with a friend in a ground floor apartment, 2 bedroom, 1 en suite and 1 main bathroom and will cost us each €375 a month. He has been there since July and I decided to take the place of the person who left. I live in a town and rents have gone down a lot in the last while.

The last place I rented was a 2 story town house, 3 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, very spacious and was €350 each (3 of us). This new deal seems a little harsh, back in rip off Ireland rental days I could understand it but now, when so many places can't get occupants I find it annoying that the rent hasn't been reduced.

The landlord is sound though I haven't spoken personally to him about anything yet. My friend asked if the rent could be reduced and he said he wasn't going to consider it until the lease needed renewing in July.

Is he right in keeping the rent at that price or do we have any reason to debate back for a little reduction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

he can stick to the lease if he wants to. He has no reason to change the rent until July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The fact that he said 'not gonna think about it til July' rather than 'piss off' is encouraging though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

You are never going to know unless you ask!!! What is the worse he can say? the most negative or worst thing he can say is no. So go for it. what else have you got to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

The landlord is sound though I haven't spoken personally to him about anything yet. My friend asked if the rent could be reduced and he said he wasn't going to consider it until the lease needed renewing in July.

I think thats your answer there he has an agreement with it runs out in july try re-negotiating then

Advertisement