Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing eyesight and map reading

Options
  • 19-01-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I suppose it had to happen, but my near distance eyesight is getting gradually worse such that I now need reading glasses, albeit quite mild ones, only +1, to be able to read maps and my GPS properly, especially in bad light conditions. I can just about manage when it's nice and sunny out, but was having real trouble at the weekend in the poor light. My normal sight is pretty much as good as it has always been, so I don't need glasses permanently, but the idea of carrying reading glasses around with me in the outdoors and having to get them out and put them back in a case constantly just to read the map doesn't appeal.

I've been Googling about and have found sites (only in the US unfortunately) selling safety glasses with varifocal plastic lenses which might be a possible solution.

So does anyone here have any other suggestions? What do other people in my situation do in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

I don't wear glasses so I wouldnt know what its really like but what about using 1:25000 maps? Youve probably thought about that already...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

liamo333 wrote: »
    I don't wear glasses so I wouldnt know what its really like but what about using 1:25000 maps? Youve probably thought about that already...
    9 times out of 10 I'm using the Harvey's maps which are 1:30k which doesn't really help.

I've found something that might be useful here ... made for orienteers, but might be handy for what I want.

http://www.ol-shop.at/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27&products_id=270

hi

I've the same problem, started carrying aroung a magnifying glass, does the job,

hi

I've the same problem, started carrying aroung a magnifying glass, does the job,
    Yeah, I thought of that. I've seen square plastic magnifiers that looked as if they might do the job, but I'd always thought they'd be just as awkward to use as separate reading glasses.

I've found these on eBay ... they act otherwise just like a normal pair of safety/sports glasses which should help with windy days as well (my eyes water a little then). I'll give them a try and let you know how I get on!

http://tinyurl.com/888mh9

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

get a good hardened glasses case and attach it to the chest strap or an arm strap of your ruck maybe? i am short sighted. so opposite problem. i keep a spotting scope strapped on there instead, but i always carry glasses anyway in my pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

http://url.ie/13hp

How about something like that? You can get plastic ones that you could cut down to the size of a map case.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    http://url.ie/13hp

How about something like that? You can get plastic ones that you could cut down to the size of a map case.
    That looks a bit unwieldy to me. I'll give those sports glasses I linked to a try first, as they look like the best bet to me.

get a good hardened glasses case and attach it to the chest strap or an arm strap of your ruck maybe?
    That might be the next best option if those bifocal sports glasses don't work out. Thing is, my normal long distance sight is spot-on, so I'd be constantly putting the things on and taking them off all the time which is going to be a PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Some of the compasses you can get have a big square magnifying glass set into the top of the base plate, which I've seen people use to work out map details.
    I've also seen people using a red or blue permanent marker to mark or track their progress across the hills (even just an occasional dot to mark your previous location). This makes quick self-location, with bad eyesight a little easier. The marker can be wiped off your laminated map afterwards with mets, or something alcholic.

Advertisement