Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixmania returns a joke...

Options
  • 19-01-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

i bought a new car radio from Pixmania.ie three weeks ago, and had it installed in the car. Last week the unit malfunctioned, almost resulting in a fire. I am sure it is nothing to do with the car, as the old radio is now back in working fine.

I contacted Pixmania last week, who told me to contact the original manufacturer about the problem. I told thim I didnt think it was my duty to do this, but said I would try anyway. I requested the details from them, which they could not provide. i also tried an extensive internet search, which came up with nothing. I re-contacted Pixmania, who have now aggreed to take the product back for repair or replacement as neither of us can contact the manufacturer.

Here is where the problem arises. Pixmania want me to sent the product back to France. The product is work about 100 euro, and the shipping to France would cost about 80 euro. Pixmania are refusing to pay for this, and are stating that it isn't included in the warrantee. I have looked up European Consumer Charters, and found that "in the event of a product malfunction, or a product in not fit for puropse, the retailer with which the contract lies shold replace, repair, or refund the customer, at no cost to the customer". I passed this information on to pixmania, who refuse to accept it.

Does anyone know if I can do anything in this case? I paid for the product with a Visa card. I cant afford to pay 80 for postage back to France, but Pixmania are refusing to arrange return.

I am very disappointed that such a large multinational company has such a rubbish returns policy, and such a blatent disregard for the european consumer charter. I know that in future I will only buy from companies in Ireland or the UK, as they are forced to obey consumer law...even if the product is a little more expensive.

If you value customer care, and are going to part with cash to pixmania, think very very carefully of what could happen if things go wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

ring your credit card provider, inform them of the exact details of the situation & the legislation stating it should be at no cost to the customer (although I am sure they already know about that) & they should be able to initiate a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Someone should register avoidpixmania.com/ and put up a warning against using these wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

pixmania are nice and cheap but you have a problem god help you

i had a problem with pixmania returns and i will never buy anthing from them ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Thanks for the replies,

I decided to email them again, and see if i get a better reply this time. Does anyone have an email address other than the generic support@pixmania.com?

Thanks,
    Ken.

To whom it concerns,
    I have received twice now automated replys to my problem, which I do not accept.
    I have a faulty product, and need to return it for a replacement or repair. Pixmania are refusing to pay for return postage, which is against European Consumer Charters.
    In the European Consumer Charter, it states that a customer "shall not be liable for any costs insurred in the replacement or repair of a defective product, ot or a product that is not fit for the purpose..." see
    http://
    eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/site/en/oj/1999/l_171/l_17119990707en00120016.pdf

The product in question is obviously defective, and questions whether it was fit for the purporse in the first place.
    I have contacted the European Consumer Centre and filed a complaint due to this issue, as Pixmania is blatently disregarding Irish, French, and European consumer law.
    As of 5pm today, I will contact my credit card company to initiate a chargeback procedure, and will also contact national press to highlight the disregard of consumer protection laws.
    I hope to hear back with a resolution before 5pm, as I really do not want to have to take this further. I have reccomended pixmania to friends and family in the past, and should this issue not be resolved, I will make no secret of the terrible service pixmania provides.
    Yours,
    Ken Collins,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Giving them till 5pm is unreasonable in my view, you should atleast give them a week if your issuing a formal complaint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have the same bull**** with them, a motherboard that died after a few months and they told me it's my responsibility to send it back to Gigabyte - and they couldn't provide me with any details for them whatsoever. Total joke. I ignore any class of bargain alert from them because if something goes wrong you might as well have bought it out of the back of a knackers van.

Thanks for all the replies,

I know 5 pm today sounds unreasonable, but this has been back and forth all last week...each email I get is the same generic bla bla bla rubbish, and im sick of it.

I rang the credit card company, and it's funny I told the story without giving the lady my details, and she said "Is that a problem with pixmania..." It's funny how she knew where it was going before I told her the company name!!

According to VISA, they have numerous complaints each week about Pixmania, and their blatent disregard for consumer law has been highlighted by both the irish consumer afairs and trading standards in the UK.

The VISA rep said that it's a good case for a chargeback, as it is a direct breech of european consumer law. I would reccomend giving them a call if you have no success with pixmania's dismal customer care.

Ken

I paid by laser so unfortunately I've no comeback like that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

OP i may be wrong but I don't think you have to deal with the manufacturer. IIRC you contract is with pixmania and if you have an issue you only have to deal with them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I wouldn't have thought they'd offer to pay postage until they've had a chance to assess that the product is actually defective? I'd presume most places would get you to send it back, then refund you the postage afterwards once they've seen that it's faulty?

• Advertisement

dade wrote: »
    OP i may be wrong but I don't think you have to deal with the manufacturer. IIRC you contract is with pixmania and if you have an issue you only have to deal with them

That's the point - legally you don't. But Pixmania don't see it that way and tell you to send it to the Manufacturer. The manufacturer of my motherboard is based in Taiwan!! When I went to their RMA procedure on the site (that is, Pixmania), all going well, until I eventually get to a page saying:

"Here is the manufacturer of your item, please contact them using the details below"

There were no details just a blank page. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thank God, was going to order something from them but not a hope now after reading some threads here.

@thedriver...

Im glad at least one person has avoided this company...as i said before, great prices if you are willing to take the risk...but if something goes wrong kiss your cash good bye!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

I have had a problem where I received a Samsung Monoitor instead of a Yamaha Home Cinema Amplifier - not even close. Pixmania arranged return but now tell me it will be at least 2 weeks before I receive my correct order as the returned item must go to Samsung for technical examination. This despite the fact it was returned for non-technical reasons. I fould the following email addresses j.felix@pixmania.com, h.gazon@pixmania.com, s.rosenblum@fotovista.com, a.walker@pixmania.com, s.delsol@pixmania.com and sent a mail to them all. None bounced and received an autoreply from S Delsol suggesting emailing Alice Walker - a.walker@pixmania.com. Awaiting her reply with baited breath.

Mossie.

Update. Very positive reply today from Alice Walker promising immediate despatch and full refund of all delivery costs.

I emailed all of those people too on monday, and got a nice response from alice walker. It looks like she will look after me, but only after being threatened by the European Consumer Centre, and going to the national press. Still, a resolution is a resolution.

Make sure to CC anything u you send to s.rosenblum, I think hes the boss.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Kencollins wrote: »

Make sure to CC anything u you send to s.rosenblum, I think hes the boss.

Ken

Yes he is I believe but I never received any communication from him, just Alice who resolved my problem. Missing part of order received and all delivery charges refunded.

Advertisement