Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet in Inverin..and social info!!

Options
  • 19-01-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi there

Just moved to Inverin from town and had to leave my lovely ntl internet there. Can anyone suggest a cheap good provider? There is an active landline in property.
    On another subject altogether as I have just moved and dont know anyone in area does anyone know what local pubs are like? Poitin Stil/tigh mholly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Hiyah

The Poitin Still is much the busier of the 2 pubs, but it's pretty dead during the week lately. Probably best avoided when there's an 18th or 21st or something on, it can get messy enough sometimes. But the locals are friendly enough & you'll always find someone to chat to. There's a pool table & juke box, and it seems more like a youth club at times, but there's a good mix of different age groups.

Mholly's is a real locals pub, only opens Wednesdays & the weekends. Usually frequented by the local card school, but can sometimes get really busy at the weekend. Friendly enough place, it's come a long way since the gents was in front of a tree in the garden....and the ladies was behind it!

Like nearly all country pubs, it's always easier if you've got someone to go in with, until you get to know a few faces. But the locals will be very curious about a new face & you'll soon be blethering away to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leebee77

hey Big B and thanks for your message! Tis all good then. I shall find the courage and go in at the weekend or the one after that..will have to bring a mate from town..i'll disguise them so no one knows. Im kinda nervous about gettin to know folk even though Im from extreme remote Scottish highlands, but sure it is exciting at the same time!! noticed Mhollys blinds down the whole time which i admit raised my 'not from around these parts' curiousity. Cheers again!

leebee77 wrote: »
    hey Big B and thanks for your message! Tis all good then. I shall find the courage and go in at the weekend or the one after that..will have to bring a mate from town..i'll disguise them so no one knows. Im kinda nervous about gettin to know folk even though Im from extreme remote Scottish highlands, but sure it is exciting at the same time!! noticed Mhollys blinds down the whole time which i admit raised my 'not from around these parts' curiousity. Cheers again!

How extreme are we talking here? I know the Highlands pretty well.

I've been known to pop into the Pot (the Poitin Still) for a glass of sherry on State occassions, so if I hear the accent, I'll say hallo:D

The locals are pretty sound really, & Scots are made very welcome, especially if you have a wee bit of Gaelic. It's not compulsory, but it sure helps! I'm sure you've already been in the local shops & heard everyone speaking "as Gaeilge" - the pubs are much the same, but don't worry, they'll talk to you in English if they have to!

If you need any help with anything at all (except cheap broadband!) just let me know.

sherry you say..ur a mad bunch down that way right enough! aye ive been into the shop few times and the staff are fab. Is there much of a 'community' in Inverin itself?

Regarding Scotland I am from Knoydart. I wonder now if you have been there..if you have you will know it is the most devastatingly beautiful place. The Old Forge Pub is most remotest in mainland britain so tis pretty remote. Guess thats reason i moved out of town..now my 20's have abandoned me I guess I wanted to get back to my old lifestyle and thought this might be as close as could get at the moment!
    Right back to work before my new biro flinging, coffee spilling boss catches me!!
    cheers again.

oh here what is the chinese in Spideal like? just for nights i really cant be bothered firing up the genny for electricity.

my english is atrocious!!!!

• Advertisement

Oh, I know Knoydart alright!

Happiness is having to take a boat to the pub :D

A truly beautiful, unspoilt paradise.

Inverin's become a bit of a sprawl in recent years, but there's a fairly good community spirit, without the benefit of community facilities! The GAA club is well supported, school functions are well attended (I'm told), in general it's a nice enough place to live. Going by the 2 pubs you mentioned, you don't live too far from me, so there's at least 1 friendly neighbour. I'll let you know who it is some day:P

The chinese in Spiddal is pretty good quality wise. You'll find the takeaway prices a bit steep compared to home, but you have to get used to that.
    Keane's hardware shop in Spiddal is pretty cheap for most household stuff, it's just up the hill from the bank. They deliver coal too.

Oh aye - I was kidding about the sherry!:D

If you need any help, just ask away.

i dont think you were joking about the sherry at all young man. Im more of a port and lemon sort of gal.
    oh yeah thanks for the coal info as i need to get onto that...on subject of fuel do ya know who is cheapest oil wise?? Sweeneys???

Yeah Knoydart is beautiful and I miss it every day and will always be home...

Was just looking at other threads and saw one on Inverness that i was gonna answer...and there you blinken were stealing my thunder. Alas i had more extensive knowledge big b but i was glad to hear that you also know the fort, inparticular up the hill. Sure i might have met you a couple of times in my life already.

Thanks again for all the info. time for home. time for patience at barna roadworks and time for a drop of port. yaay. slan

I use Mor Oil for heating oil. He's based in carraroe.You'll see threads that claim there's still a pricing cartel in county Galway, personally I find Mor Oil's prices are fine & the service is good.
    You should've just jumped on that Inversneckie thread, I didn't have much to say anyway. But I do know the Fort alright. It's possible we've met, but Im sure you'd remember:D
    Oh, and port makes me fart. (copyright B. Connolly)
    i dont think you were joking about the sherry at all young man. Im more of a port and lemon sort of gal.
    oh yeah thanks for the coal info as i need to get onto that...on subject of fuel do ya know who is cheapest oil wise?? Sweeneys???

Yeah Knoydart is beautiful and I miss it every day and will always be home...

Was just looking at other threads and saw one on Inverness that i was gonna answer...and there you blinken were stealing my thunder. Alas i had more extensive knowledge big b but i was glad to hear that you also know the fort, inparticular up the hill. Sure i might have met you a couple of times in my life already.

Thanks again for all the info. time for home. time for patience at barna roadworks and time for a drop of port. yaay. slan

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Oh lord I can't stand the pot. Tigh mholly's has an atmosphere at least, and when it's open it's brings a crowd.

Spiddeal wasn't the worst place for a quiet pint,and you could get the hackney home from there for a couple of euros. Not sure what's it like these days.

We've got the eircom broadband bundle at home, shop around though you might save a few pennies with someone else.

Hey nuggles! thanx for message. I guess I just have to check out both pubs at some stage and judge for self. Much excitement! Yeah i didnt think about spideal but it is a good idea. Still in midst of unpacking etc..3 weeks on so dinnae know when i will eventually get chance to enjoy a pint.Thanx for the info and have a good weekend!

• Advertisement

Aye, the Pot isn't popular with everyone. A good few of the locals have moved up to Mholly's cos the young ones had kinda taken over the Pot. But still, outwith the 18th & 21st's it's still a decent pub & the locals will always chat to you.

I like Mholly's myself. Helps that I know most of the locals of course, but it's a fine friendly wee pub. But of all the pubs in Inverin, my favourite is Tigh Chualain's. Good staff, great Guinness, friendly locals.

Spiddal's gone downhill lately, imo. Hughes' pub is closed, pick your rumour as to why. It was by far the best pub in the village. John who owns the Cruiscean hotel now also runs An Nead pub as well, and I hear the craic's pretty much gone since he took over. The Cala has re-opened & been re-named, haven't been in but I hear it's a teenies paradise.

When you finally unpack all those cases I'll maybe get a chance to buy you a port & lemon & introduce you to some of the locals.:)

Where is the name of the wee man is Tigh Chualain's????!!! Thanks for offer of port but really there is no need...now a nice sparkling pint of lager is another story altogether!!

Im slightly worried i might become agrophobic/hermit-like soon enough. Those fab friends that said 'of course we will be down to visit heaps' seem to have mislaid their passports to get through Spiddeal.

Thanks once again for info..now i really must get back to my high powered executive city job...

Tigh Chualain's is the yellow pub on the right as you head into Galway, a few hundred yards after the shop/petrol station. Also a good guest house if you have friends or family coming over.

I know what you mean about visitors, you'd think Inverin was hundreds of miles away! But I think in general people don't house-visit here they way they do in Scotland. Don't get into the habit of staying in every night, that can get bleak enough, especially in winter.

Oh, and lager it is. I knew you weren't a port drinker :p

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Tigh Chualain is fairly dead most of the time to be honest. It's nice when there is a crowd is in, but most of the time it's five guys in the corner playing cards. If you're willing to go to Spiddeal, you might be willing to go as far as Tigh Tommy or Tigh Johnney Sheáin. Never been to either much so not sure what they're like. But they're there!

Nuggles wrote: »
    Tigh Chualain is fairly dead most of the time to be honest. It's nice when there is a crowd is in, but most of the time it's five guys in the corner playing cards. If you're willing to go to Spiddeal, you might be willing to go as far as Tigh Tommy or Tigh Johnney Sheáin. Never been to either much so not sure what they're like. But they're there!

in the words of Jules from Pulp Fiction...they're as dead as fried chicken!

Tigh Johnny's looks cool with the thatched roof, but last time I went there I was ambushed outside by some Jakey who was banned & wanted me to get him a bottle of whisky. Then wanted a lift home! Took me ages to get rid of the fecker.

Tigh Tommy's is ok but defo a bit "you're not from around these parts, are you?". You often get the Rossaveal crowd in there too, can get messy at times.
    Both pubs are a bit remote from everything else, so not handy if you want to try another pub.
    Chuallins' is busy enough at the w/ends, really all the local pubs are pretty dead during the week now.

welllllllllllll!!! I did it...I went to the poitin and by god.....

welllllllllllll!!! I did it...I went to the poitin and by god.....

.....and...................???

words!! where are the words!!??? och i shouldnt slate it. the young uns were avin a blast! plenty of smashed glasses and bottles of alcopops(didnt even know bacardi breezers were still available). Vodka, redbull and bic'breezer in a pint glass with ice seemed a popular tipple.

Its really not my scene (at all) but twas nice, even just for the comedy value. Apart from the miserable barmaid they were a friendly bunch of youths!! I just dont have the right attire, like hoop earings, and i cant get my hair into a high pony tail!
    I would never be able to park my banger '94 peugeot outside...the shame it would incur amongst such finery of spoilers and blacked out windows. My non itallic number plate would not be welcome either i suppose.

The entertainer was gas and brought me back to jersey in '97 where we had a similar man with a guitar and keyboard rocking out.

All in all it twas an experience and beat sittin in wondering what colour to paint my kitchen. Olive is a nice colour isnt it?

Weeeeelllllllllll, I DID warn ya about the teeny nights.

If I go into the Pot & find one on, I'm outa there & off to Mholly's or Chualains pretty quick.
    Most of the cars outside were probably as old as yours. One hilarious extra though - y'know in most places, the young fellas will have techno beats booming out their cars at the pub, in the belief it's irresistible to women?

Outside the Pot, on more than 1 occassion I've seen kids throwing the car doors open so we can all get a good listen to Philamena Begley or Dolly Parton :D:D

I honestly couldn't recommend the Pot at the weekends.

Olive's gross, btw ;)

olive is not gross. Its mellow and classy!! Bit dissapointed didnt hear any Dolly Parton at weekend as could have sung along. Maybe they play it on the mini bus on the way to the disco on carraroe. Thats this weekend sorted so.

• Advertisement

wot does btw mean? Along with Irish Lessons i obviously need abbreviations lessons. WYT?

btw = by the way. Thought a west-coaster would've sussed that one! :p

I'd recommend giving the Carraroe disco a wide berth. Really.

And olive's dreich, btw!

the only think olive looked good on was Popeye :D

Since I'm on, another couple of wee bits of maybe useful info....

Tigh Neils (esso petrol station) usually has Irn Bru in stock.
    Neil also runs the kids soccer team, & most of the shop staff are very friendly.

If you can convince a pal to come out to you on a Wednesday, try a pint in Mholly's. Usually only locals in on Wednesdays, good chance to meet a few neighbours. Doesn't open till 9 & probably empty till nearer 10.

Hope you're settling in ok.

aw yeah it is all sooo clear now..'by the way'. the shame! The SHAME! any other wee abbreviations one needs to know to sound credible and cool?
    I honestly wasnt contemplating carraroe disco. last disco i was at was in the Skye Gathering Hall in 1994. good times!
    Am settling in grand. came home tonight to sub zero temperature in hoose as out of oil. you havent been down and filling up your buckets have you? the cheek. anyway am camping on my brothers floor tonight in toon.
    maybe next wednesday i will fish out my plus fours and deer stalker and head to tigh mhollys.
    take it easy now ya hear
    L

Ah, that was your house? well, thanks for all the oil :D

Few cars abandoned on the road in Inverin this morning, you probably did well to stay in town. It was fine from Spiddal in though.

For credible & cool you'd be better watchin the young 'uns posts. My version is probably a generation out of date :o

<name> - didn't realise you lived so close. Support your local pub, young man!
    (actually, I know it's not really a young fella's pub, but it's busy on GAA match days!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I thought the locals called it Tigh Mharcuis while the tourists called it Tigh Chualáin .

While I have not been drinking in An Spidéal since Tigh Hughes regrettably closed there are no pubs there that allow drunken teenies and smashed alcopop bottles littering the place from what I remember .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

big b wrote: »
    Sponge Bob - never heard that.

On a slight correction it USED to be called Tigh Mharcuis Dick but in recent times it has been called Tigh Mharcuis . I don't know anybody who calls it Tigh Chualáin , honestly . :p

I'll have to ask around about this one -tonight, probably.

Been drinking there best part of 10 years now & never heard it called anything but Chualáin's.
    Not saying you're wrong, just guessing it's maybe a previous name & I haven't heard anyone use it. Then again, as my intake of porter goes up, my attention levels may go down!:pac:

Thought that must be the case, thanks for that <name>.

Most of my drinking buds in Chualáins are no spring chickens, but maybe because the craic is all as Gaeilge - which is hard work for me - I might easily miss them using the former name.

More importantly, they have excellent porter, don't think I've ever heard an angry word in the place & certainly no reams of teeny alcopop guzzlers p*ssing everyone else off.
    I haven't been out as much the last while, but I've been talking to a few locals since this thread started & a lot of them have been abandoning the Pot because of the teeny element. A lot of these people are 20/30 year regulars.

But since the Pot can take 10k on a "good" 21st party night, I don't suppose he gives much of a sh*t about losing a few punters who only bought a few pints 3 or 4 times a week. :mad:

• Advertisement

Whhhooooaaahhh there.......

some people dislike you? :eek: Actually, if it's some of the pondlife who hang around the pool table, I'd be inclined to take that as a compliment!

I've seen a good few in the Pot over the years who you just know are trouble & seen enough handbags at 20 paces encounters outside - and in - to confirm that opinion.

I've been informed since my last post that I'm taking the Minister for the Interior out tonight, so I guess I won't be in Cualláin's:mad:
    but it'd be cool to meet some night for a few beers alright.

Advertisement