Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

moving sand?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Here is a question. I have a 1.6 Automatic Scenic :cool:

I have half of a Tonne bag of sand in the middle of my front yard left over from a job in the back garden over the summer. Could I pull it off the grass with my car or would i risk damaging my gearbox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too risky in my book. Half a tonne of sand is a different type of weight than a solid. Probably get a tractor to lift/drag it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Id be more worried about your clutch to be honest. A dead weight like that takes a lot of energy to get it moving.
    Get out the wheelbarrow!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Damn it, its cold outside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭GSBellew

bandit197 wrote: »
    Id be more worried about your clutch to be honest. A dead weight like that takes a lot of energy to get it moving.
    Get out the wheelbarrow!:D

Its an Automatic, so has a torque convertor not a clutch ;)

The problem with sand is that it holds water, so if it got wet even though it may be half of a ton bag it could be a lot heavier in reality.

Well its been open for months and there has been a lot of rain. I would say there is a good chance it is as heavy as a full tonne bag of sand by now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

put a pole in the ground next to it...chain the bag of sand to the pole...wait 30min and someone will have robbed it....job done :)

seriously dont think the renault is up for that....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You'd just rip the bag / rip the handles off / get sand all over the place.

These bags are designed for lifting, not dragging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Put an advertisement in Gumtree/Buy & Sell/Adverts.ie:

Free Sand, collection only

Someone will come.

I actually put it on jumbletown but only got a response from someone who had no transport hoping i would eh hold it for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Chance the other websites. Or if you're up for a laugh put it on Carzone to see if one of those scammers ring you. Now that would be interesting!:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement